Eset Internet Security issue in Windows 10 version 1803.

Hi,

I'm an Eset user since 8 years and it never has given me any issue but it has poping up a constant Security Alert warning that "Antivirus Protection is non functional".

I'm using Eset Internet Security version 11 with latest build. I upgraded my Windows 10 just 4 days back from Windows 10 version 1709 to 1803 build 17134.1. Last 2 days Eset was alright but it started showing an warning alert from last 2 days.

I uninstalled it using Eset uninstaller in safe mode again reinstalled then uninstalled and reinstalled... same warning alert, see no improvement!

Is Eset not compatible with this latest windows 10 ? What should I do? Should I uninstall and find a new security solution in place of Eset?

Below is the screenshot of the Eset's security alert.

https://imgur.com/rcMmPYd

• Administrators

If the issue persists after a computer restart, please provide me with logs gathered with ELC.

On 5/7/2018 at 8:03 AM, Marcos said:

If the issue persists after a computer restart, please provide me with logs gathered with ESET Log Collector.

On 5/7/2018 at 3:39 AM, sid_16 said:

Hi,

I'm an Eset user since 8 years and it never has given me any issue but it has poping up a constant Security Alert warning that "Antivirus Protection is non functional".

I'm using Eset Internet Security version 11 with latest build. I upgraded my Windows 10 just 4 days back from Windows 10 version 1709 to 1803 build 17134.1. Last 2 days Eset was alright but it started showing an warning alert from last 2 days.

I uninstalled it using Eset uninstaller in safe mode again reinstalled then uninstalled and reinstalled... same warning alert, see no improvement!

Is Eset not compatible with this latest windows 10 ? What should I do? Should I uninstall and find a new security solution in place of Eset?

Below is the screenshot of the Eset's security alert.

https://imgur.com/rcMmPYd

Yes, I am having the same issue since updating to 1803. Network is running Windows 10 Pro, 32-Bit on a Windows Server 2012 R2 Domain and ESET Endpoint Antivirus 6.6.2072.4 and running as  a standard Windows user - rebooted multiple times, did you manage to get your issue resolved?

• Administrators

Please gather the following stuff when the issue occurs:

- a complete dump of ekrn generated via the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics -> create (dump)
- logs gathered with ELC

Upload a compressed dump together with the archive generated by ELC to a safe location (e.g. Dropbox, Onedrive, etc.) and drop me a private message with download links.

• 2 weeks later...

I have exactly the same issue.
The problems started after upgrade to 1803 on May 5 2018.
It has been restarted several times since then.
Below is a summary of the ESET events since the "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803" was installed.
No such errors prior to that date..
As this has been reported several times during the past weeks I wonder what the solution is (if any).

Time;Module;Event;User
17/05/2018 21:08:03;ESET Kernel;A serious application error occurred. Virus scanner initialization failed. Antivirus protection will not work correctly.;SYSTEM

Time;Module;Event;User
17/05/2018 17:08:01;ESET Kernel;A serious application error occurred. Virus scanner initialization failed. Antivirus protection will not work correctly.;SYSTEM

Time;Module;Event;User
17/05/2018 14:07:54;ESET Kernel;Detection Engine was successfully updated to version 17400 (20180517).;SYSTEM

Time;Module;Event;User
16/05/2018 01:07:48;ESET Kernel;A serious application error occurred. Virus scanner initialization failed. Antivirus protection will not work correctly.;SYSTEM

Time;Module;Event;User
15/05/2018 22:08:00;ESET Kernel;A serious application error occurred. Virus scanner initialization failed. Antivirus protection will not work correctly.;SYSTEM

Time;Module;Event;User
05/05/2018 18:07:17;ESET Kernel;A serious application error occurred. Virus scanner initialization failed. Antivirus protection will not work correctly.;

Windows Update History
Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803
Successfully installed on ‎05/‎05/‎2018

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Dick said:

I have exactly the same issue.
It has been restarted several times since then.
Below is a summary of the ESET events since the "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803" was installed.
No such errors prior to that date..
As this has been reported several times during the past weeks I wonder what the solution is (if any).

Microsoft is already analyzing the issue. Does temporarily disabling protected service and rebooting the machine make a difference or the issue returns after a while?

Rebooting makes is go away for a while .
The system was rebooted today at 17/05/2018 14:49:19.
And as you can see from the earlier ESET log entries the error re-occured
at 17/05/2018 17:08:01 
and 17/05/2018 21:08:03

Can you explain what you mean with "disabling protected service" ..
The setup shows "Computer protection", "Internet protection" and "Network protection" all with various options.

48 minutes ago, Dick said:

To clarify, are you running Win 10 1803 x(86) version?

I can confirm that disabling the HIPS protected service works. @Marcos advice is working. I pushed that setting out via an ERA policy to all computers on the network and all my 1803 x86 machines are not giving that error anymore. I have been running error free for the whole week. I hope to see a patch / fix from MS soon, I can also confirm that the latest 1803 Windows update DOESN'T fix this issue. 

8 hours ago, Dick said:

Rebooting makes is go away for a while .
The system was rebooted today at 17/05/2018 14:49:19.
And as you can see from the earlier ESET log entries the error re-occured
at 17/05/2018 17:08:01 
and 17/05/2018 21:08:03

Can you explain what you mean with "disabling protected service" ..
The setup shows "Computer protection", "Internet protection" and "Network protection" all with various options.

HIPS is under "Computer Protection"

1.PNG

2.PNG

7 hours ago, itman said:

All my issues were on x86, but I haven't tested x64 as all our network workstations have to run 32-bit. @Marcosworkaround by disabling HIPS Protected Service seems to be working fine in the interim.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Leigh Glaus said:

All my issues were on x86, but I haven't tested x64 as all our network workstations have to run 32-bit. @Marcosworkaround by disabling HIPS Protected Service seems to be working fine in the interim.

If you re-enable protected service, does the issue occur within the next few hours?

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

If you re-enable protected service, does the issue occur within the next few hours?

I have just pushed out an ERA policy turning it back on, I am running 9 Windows 10 1803 test machines on the network, so I will let you know the results on Monday or as soon as the error pops up again, Thanks @Marcos for all your technical assistance so far! 

12 hours ago, itman said:

Yes, this is an x(86) desktop.
The problem started after upgrading it from Win 10 1709 to 1803.
The problem does not occur on a laptop x(64) upgraded to 1803 on May 6.
The problem also not occurs on a laptop x(64) still on Win 10 1709.
All 3 are running ESET Internet Security 11.1.54.0.

So based on this it seems it is an x(86) related problem.

Just disabled "disabling protected service" and rebooted.
Lets see what happens..

Thanks, your instant response is much appreciated.

hello,

I have exactly the same problem on my computers in windows 10 Spring creators update 1803 32 bits (this problem does not appear in 64 bits).This dysfunction is completely random and unpredictable: a simple restart allows to return to a normal situation

Best regards

2018-05-17 14_56_11-.png

• ESET Moderators

Hello guys,

it seems to be the same issue as https://forum.eset.com/topic/15430-windows-10-spring-update/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-77055 

We are still waiting for a resolution from MS.

Until proper resolution for 32-bit platform, it seems that issue can be solved by upgrade to 64-bit version of Windows and ESET product or disabling Protected service and reboot. 

Regards, P.R.

47 minutes ago, Peter Randziak said:

Until proper resolution for 32-bit platform, it seems that issue can be solved by upgrade to 64-bit version of Windows and ESET product or disabling Protected service and reboot. 

To migrate in 64 bits is still not a possible solution for me!

And NOD 32 does not like the disabling of the HIPS service!  So I'm waiting but this bug is annoying!

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Gascogne said:

And NOD 32 does not like the disabling of the HIPS service!  So I'm waiting but this bug is annoying!

Disabling HIPS and protected service are two different things. While disabling HIPS would substantially deteriorate protection capabilities, disabling protected service has much negligible impact on security. Please disable only Protected service in the HIPS setup, not the whole HIPS feature and reboot the machine.

We are still waiting for Microsoft to come up with a solution to the issue since it's a standard Windows API function call that started to fail after upgrade to v1803.

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

Please disable only Protected service in the HIPS setup, not the whole HIPS feature and reboot the machine.

OK thanks for these explanations!

Just wanted to pipe in and say that I got the same problem after the 1803 update, but I am not running 32-bit Windows, but 64-bit.

If I disable protected services, NOD32 starts up fine without errors messages. Re-enabling it and restarting immediately reverts me back to the original problem (i.e. no need to wait a few hours).