Multiple problems with Ubuntu version 18.04 LTS using unity or gnome

Hello Eset team

I formatted the micro and installed the new version of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and I have some problems as follows:

1st Version 4.0.85.0 is abandoned, with no recent updates to its Version and Compatibility with new versions of Linux, while other Eset versions for windows and mac walk normally.

2 After installing Eset for linux in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, it opens only once. If it is necessary to open it again, restart the computer.

3rd Even the latest version 4.0.85.0 is installed, it appears that there is an update to be performed.

Removed the option to scan the file manually from the menu option of the Linux desktop in Ubuntu

5º I'm waiting for some help (!)

Olá equipe Eset

Formatei o micro e instalei a nova versão do Ubuntu 18.04 LTS e estou com algum problemas como segue:

1º A versão 4.0.85.0 está abandonada, sem atualizações recentes em sua Versão e Compatibilidade com novas versões do Linux, enquanto outras versões Eset para windows e mac caminham normalmente.

2º Após instalação do Eset para linux no Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, ele abre somente uma única vez. Caso seja necessário abri-lo novamente é preciso reiniciar o micro.

3º Mesmo a versão 4.0.85.0 mais recente estando instalada, aparece a informação que existe uma atualização a ser realizada.

4º Removeram a opção de scanear o arquivo manualmente da opção de menus da área de trabalho do Linux no Ubuntu

5º No aguardo de uma ajuda (!)

Serial 

• ESET Staff

To install ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Linux Desktop on Ubuntu 18.04

- Open Terminal
- Set root password using command (sudo passwd root)
- Install glibc library using command (apt-get install libc6:i386)
- Install libappindicator1 to show icon in upper tray using command (apt-get install libappindicator1)
- Download the install package and set the execute privileges
- Install package, reboot, icon will be shown at upper right corner

ubu01.jpg

ubu02.jpg

ubu03.jpg

ubu04.jpg

ubu05.jpg

ubu06.jpg

ubu07.jpg

ubu08.jpg

ubu09.jpg

Hello J.J.

1º  Version 4.0.85.0 is abandoned, with no recent updates to its Version and Compatibility with new versions of Linux, while other Eset versions for windows and mac walk normally.

Módulo de atualização    1069 (20161122)
5ae70f11f0271_Capturadetelade2018-04-3009-41-16.png.d5345bc0ad25c865e4fdd756026f7b1d.png

2 After installing Eset for linux in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, it opens only once. If it is necessary to open it again, restart the computer.

OK! The icon worked and the program opens in the other requests to open it.

3º Even the latest version 4.0.85.0 is installed, it appears that there is an update to be performed.

6565.png.7d7cfcc2a527f30955652c1e9a6a937a.png

Installed Version 4.085.0

123456.png.5e0599a4c03654639733ab880df33c9e.png

4. Removed the option to manually scan the file from the Linux desktop menu in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. In version 16.04 it no longer worked.

5656.png.78441db9c02567a2ac0214df783e1e4e.png

Once again thank you for the attention, where I await a solution for the other requests listed.

Att

Serial.com

• ESET Staff

1. It is module which downloads the updates of other modules. It is working and it was not changed. There is not much to explain. As you can see it is working and updating other modules like virus database scanning engine etc.

2. Nice. I am happy that provided solution helps.

3. Please provide the steps how you reach this situation. I was not able to reproduce the issue at my environment. And I would like to know exact steps to do to reach it.

4. Yes. Context menu is not working any more and will not integrate in new versions or OS. It is already reported and known as bug.

3 minutes ago, J.J. said:

1. It is module which downloads the updates of other modules. It is working and it was not changed. There is not much to explain. As you can see it is working and updating other modules like virus database scanning engine etc.

2. Nice. I am happy that provided solution helps.

3. Please provide the steps how you reach this situation. I was not able to reproduce the issue at my environment. And I would like to know exact steps to do to reach it.

4. Yes. Context menu is not working any more and will not integrate in new versions or OS. It is already reported and known as bug.

Hello JJ

With regard to the 1st Item, I only found the module version of 11/26/2016 to be far behind schedule. It has not changed or improved for almost two years.

Regarding the 3rd item, just open the program go in the UPDATE option (A new version of the product is available) click on (to know more) that appears the message asking to update the version of the program from 4.0.85 to 4.0.85.0. Only the latest version is already installed as shown below:

A new product version is available

5aeaf4aa23ddb_Capturadetelade2018-05-0308-36-26.png.fe9053c2e646361faff13f31038e4cf3.png

Reports that version 4.085 is installed, but is version 4.0.85.0.

5aeaf4f1aedac_2Capturadetelade2018-05-0308-36-40.png.c9a3050b2fe71e8d4bedbeab349bc65e.png

Clicking "HELP" start screen, then About Eset Nod32 Antivirus appears the image below informing the program version.

5aeaf548c9870_3Capturadetelade2018-05-0308-37-15.png.567fe633a50111127dd22e56b5e488ec.png

Thanks in advance for your attention and I await a solution or a new version of the actual program.

Serial

• ESET Staff

Interesting I don't have such behavior as you can see. But I used bussines edition. I will try home version and let you know

en.jpg

eav.jpg

• ESET Staff

Hello Serial.com

I reproduced the behavior with home version. It the issue and I will report it to developers.

Thank you for reporting us this issue and for your cooperation.

forum01.jpgforum02.jpgforum03.jpg

Hello JJ

I thank you for your commitment to resolve this issue.

I did not even know that there was the Eset Node32 Bussines edition antivirus option for linux. If you can pass me the link for possible purchase I am grateful.

17 minutes ago, J.J. said:

Hello

Here is the link https://www.eset.com/us/business/endpoint-security/linux-antivirus/

Anyway I can confirm that issue will be fixed in next version of ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Linux Desktop which should be released in near future.

Thank you again for your attention.

I think now we just have to wait.

Success to the whole Eset team

Hello J.J

When starting the micro with Ubuntu gnome xorg the Eset icon is not appearing on the tray.

Eset does not start and can not be opened.

When you open Show Applications and type Eset, only two icons appear: Uninstall and Setup. The boot icon is gone.

5aef767bbaed0_Capturadetelade2018-05-0618-28-36.thumb.png.5ecdccdf7ff6825c6e59725df59f450c.png

When starting ESET with Ubuntu Unity 7.5 the boot icon appears in Tray normally.
When entering the Dash appears the three icons of the Eset normally.

5aef835829ad9_3icones.thumb.png.33942c79bcf225196f0a2959aaaf6448.png

Edited:

I noticed that in the Ubuntu Wayland version the icon Eset appears in the tray normally and initializes the program normally.

The problem is only occurring with the Ubuntu Gnome Xorg version.

5af0f751e274c_Capturadetelade2018-05-0721-53-40.thumb.png.5e6668a1542a52edfc5a80b2e61ace8b.png

I thank you for your attention

Serial . com

Edited by Serial.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Staff

It is needed to use xhost workaround on OS using Wayland, Ubuntu 17.10 or Fedora:

If you have reported that GUI is not working at Ubuntu 17.10 using Gnome graphical environment or Fedora Wayland please follow this instructions to make it working.

Ubuntu 17.10 uses Wayland in the default session and Xorg for optional. However, many graphical applications need to run as root so far does not launch in Wayland.

It is needed to use xhost command workaround.

Xhost command workaround:

To make this work automatically at login, search for and launch Startup Applications utility, click the "Add" button to run the command at startup:

name: whatever

command: xhost si:localuser:root

comment: whatever

Screenshots (01.jpg, 02.jpg)

Install GLIBC:

• Use command in root terminal "apt-get install libc6:i386"

To show icon in Gnome environment install Top icons plus gnome shell extension:

• sudo apt-get update
  • sudo apt-get install gnome-shell-extension-top-icons-plus

After this changes reboot computer and start with installation of our product.

As you can see in screenshots GUI is shown correctly and product is working.

Regarding libappindicator1 it is needed for KDE environment.

For Fedora:

It is Red Hat based distribution so it is needed glibc library too but it have different name from distribution to distribution. For Fedora it is "yum install glibc-i686"

It is needed also use Xhost command workaround because Fedora uses Wayland too.

Screenshots also attached.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

gui.jpg

wizard.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The new version of Eset 4.0.87 crashes all browsers and some applications on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

I will try to remove and reinstall again to see if it works.

What a disappointment (!)

Serial.com

The new version of Eset 4.0.87 crashes all browsers and some applications on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. I use Eset Endpoint Advanced for business (30 users) since 1st of June 2018. I just bought a license for three years and I am already regretting it. Is there an ETA on when this problem is fixed? 

• ESET Moderators

Hello @CLE ,

we are looking into it with a priority.

We will keep you posted, until we prepare and release a proper fix, older version can be used as a work-around.

Regards, P.R.

29 minutes ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hello @CLE ,

we are looking into it with a priority.

We will keep you posted, until we prepare and release a proper fix, older version can be used as a work-around.

Regards, P.R.

Hello Peter, Would you by any chance have a download link for business users?

Thanks,  Vincent

I have Endpoint Protection Advanced. I use Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and For software I use English.

Of course we can download this outdated version. However, v 4.0.85 only gets limited support. Accordind to Eset´s  EOL policy this means that only severe bugs or MAJOR security flaws are fixed.

Edited by Schlangenöl

• Administrators

Developers have reproduced the issue and are working on finding the root cause with highest priority. We'll keep you updated.

• Administrators

But v 4.0.85 only receives limited support. Accordind to Eset´s  EOL policy this means that only severe bugs oder MAJOR security flaws are fixed.

As long as it works and updates are provided for that version (which will be for the next several years), it's ok to use it. As far as I know, the latest version didn't bring any fix for a critical issue that would prevent users from temporarily using a slightly older version of the program.

• Administrators

We have prepared a new version 4.0.88 which addresses the issue. It hasn't been thoroughly tested by QA yet but we've installed it on Ubuntu 18.04 x64 and didn't notice any issues with browsers. It will undergo QA testing soon and then will be released for the public.

In the mean time, you can download an EAV for Linux Desktop 64-bit installer from here. 32-bit installers as well as EAV Business Edition 4.0.88 will be available after they pass QA tests.

• 1 month later...

Hello, could you please check also issue with "man" command on Ubuntu 18.04 ?
~$ man cp
error[0f240000]: Cannot connect to /tmp/esets.sock: Permission denied
error[0f2e0000]: Cannot connect to /tmp/esets.sock: Permission denied

With esets daemon stopped - manual opens without any issues.