Unable to use Steam or any Steam Game with Cyber Security Pro

Having just got a new Mac, I thought I'd install steam, and run some Mac compatible games

I have installed ESET Cyber Security Pro, and the firewall in it seems to block Steam (even though in Auto mode)

Disabling ESET's traffic filtering lets Steam connect and the games run

Obviously the "Auto with Exceptions" filtering mode is not working correctly.

I don't want to have to add rules for steam or the apps, as this is both messy and time consuming (and something I didn't have o do on ESET Smart Security for Windows)

Confirmed. Having the same issue with CyberSecurity Pro Beta. Steam allows me to login, but then shows "NO CONNECTION" on the bottom of the app.

Firewall block shows this:

12/12/2013, 7:33:08 PM No usable rule found 72.165.61.176:27018 0.0.0.0:62986 UDP /Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/osx32/steam

Did the following to solve the problem: Added new firewall in rule thusly:

Created rule name Allow Steam, and loaded the location of the Steam app

Action: Allow, Direction: In

Protocol: UDP, Ports: Remote, Remote Port: All

Destination: Entire Internet

Not too sure if I can be more exact than this.

Edit: for some reason the first attempt to login, the subsequent login attempt works.

Edited by geosoft

I could add rules, but that'd be messy (given the games I have), but then you have to ask what the filtering mode "Auto with exceptions" is doing, it certainly isn't  "Auto" like it was with ESET Smart Security

Lets hope ESET Fix this issue quickly

It's even worse than blocking Steam ....

I just tried to purchase an app in the App Store, and could not sign in 

Disabling ESET Network Traffic Filtering enabled me to sign in and download the app

• 3 weeks later...

Created rule name Allow Steam, and loaded the location of the Steam app

Action: Allow, Direction: In

Protocol: UDP, Ports: Remote, Remote Port: All

Destination: Entire Internet

Not too sure if I can be more exact than this.

Edit: for some reason the first attempt to login, the subsequent login attempt works.

I have tried the above, I've even allowed ports in both directions ... still does not work

I've even added the ports in https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711 and the ESET firewall still blocks steam

Disabling network filtering enables steam to work

Update: Enabling entire UDP range as advised by GEOSOFT shows some other UDP ports not listed on Steam's website being used, it's these that cause specific rules to be blocked

I'd prefer that CSP's firewall actually honour the AUTO function as ESS does.

Update 2:

It seems there are lots of sub-components of Steam.app that generate the no usable rule found message, which one would assume specifying the higher level steam.app would handle, alas they seem to need their own rules, otherwise bits (like the game overlay) seem not to work.

Edited by Weety

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

regarding the first reported issue with Steam as far as you need to allow UDP communication with direction in we may not make general rule allowing this.

This is not very standard app behavior in my opinion.

Regarding the second issue with App Store,

Weety could you please provide us with some info:

1. Which exact version of ESET Cyber Security Pro do you use?

2. Exact OS version

3. App which you are not able to download

We are able to use App Store without any issues with the latest Beta so we will try to reproduce your issue.

Hello,

regarding the first reported issue with Steam as far as you need to allow UDP communication with direction in we may not make general rule allowing this.

This is not very standard app behavior in my opinion.

Regarding the second issue with App Store,

Weety could you please provide us with some info:

1. Which exact version of ESET Cyber Security Pro do you use?

2. Exact OS version

3. App which you are not able to download

We are able to use App Store without any issues with the latest Beta so we will try to reproduce your issue.

1. ESET Cyber Security Pro 5.0.115.0

2. OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) fully patched on a MacBook Pro 15" (late 2013)

3. I had issues connecting to AppStore and, and it wouldn't update. This was a one-off and seems to be OK now

With regard to Steam Client (and similarly some steam apps)

I allowed /Applications/Steam.app to have UDP ports IN, as suggested in the thread above, then noticed that the game overlay was also generating  the no usable rule message in the firewall logs, as a result I allowed /Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/osx32/gameoverlayui to have UDP ports IN and the overlays started to work

It seems allowing the higher App does not always allow some sub-components of it to have access

As per my original post, ESET Smart Security when set to Auto has no issues with Steam (or steam games), and does not require firewall rules.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

This doesn't appear to have been fixed, setting Auto with exceptions still causes Steam to not be able to connect. FYI, Cyber Security Pro version 6.0.9.1 with Steam package version 1393366296.

Cheers,

Mark

• ESET Insiders
Reverted back from ECS Pro 6.0.9.1 -> so very buggy and having a very bad firewall (interactive) mode! Programs were not added/listed correctly.

i.e. for COD4

post-3436-0-74223600-1398672567_thumb.jpg

I use ECS Pro 5.0.115 

ALWAYS in Interactive Mode. No problems connecting individual games / steam.

1st action

post-3436-0-67965700-1399130860_thumb.jpg

2nd action

post-3436-0-58779200-1399131049_thumb.jpg

Done. Up-and-running steam!  :rolleyes:

GL & Cheers

Mac Pro 3.1 / OS X 10.9.2 (13C1021)

Edited by BDMSTUDIOS