Facebook Page Hacked

Hello,

I'm Manjunath from India.

I'm a fan of ESET and am using it for past 5 years.

Earlier this month my three facebook pages were hacked and I no longer have control over the page. The hackers have become hidden admins of the pages and are posting their own content on the page.

I was shocked to see this happen as I had ESET installed in the system when the account was hacked. I've not entered the fb details anywhere and so I know I'm not phished.

I have tried EVERY possible way to report and block the page but the facebook help center is of NO use. There is NO option in facebook to report and block a hacked page.

I have formatted the system and reinstalled windows again. 

I wanted to know if people at ESET can tell me how the account was hacked so that I can be careful next time. And is it possible for ESET to reclaim my hacked fb page for a price?

Regards.

• Administrators

A security product installed on your machine prevents it from getting infected by malware. However, it obviously cannot prevent others from performing brute force attacks or trying weak passwords to log in and change your account settings. Also if you logged in on public machines in a library, school, etc. ESET cannot prevent your login data from being captured by possible keyloggers installed on other machines where you log in.

Contact Facebook, use a stronger password next time and log in to your account only on your own devices that are protected by ESET.

Thank you Marcos for replying.

My college PC also has Eset smart security installed, but I don't login anywhere else other than on my PC.

does ESET provide services of retrieving the account for a price?

5 hours ago, Manjunath Maiya said:

Hello,

I'm Manjunath from India.

I'm a fan of ESET and am using it for past 5 years.

Earlier this month my three facebook pages were hacked and I no longer have control over the page. The hackers have become hidden admins of the pages and are posting their own content on the page.

I was shocked to see this happen as I had ESET installed in the system when the account was hacked. I've not entered the fb details anywhere and so I know I'm not phished.

I have tried EVERY possible way to report and block the page but the facebook help center is of NO use. There is NO option in facebook to report and block a hacked page.

I have formatted the system and reinstalled windows again. 

I wanted to know if people at ESET can tell me how the account was hacked so that I can be careful next time. And is it possible for ESET to reclaim my hacked fb page for a price?

Regards.

Try to recover your facebook account via email or phone:

https://www.facebook.com/login/identify?ctx=recover&lwv=110

Edited by razorfancy

On 4/21/2018 at 3:24 PM, Manjunath Maiya said:

Thank you Marcos for replying.

My college PC also has Eset smart security installed, but I don't login anywhere else other than on my PC.

does ESET provide services of retrieving the account for a price?

Hi, that said, in a simple explanation, ESET only protect if the exploit or attack occured to be invading your PC. So in your case, its FB case on their own server. Based on my experience this usually happened either because of bruteforce attack , Bruteforce attack did not came from your pc, it always happened around the internet. Theres even a BOT that do daily scan and do thousand and milions of bruteforce attack on any fb login page or any website that have login page, and this bot usually hosted at different server from your pc. So in this case even if you use any other security products, or any other fully encrypted hardware, there is no assurance for you FB page will not hackable.

The another possibilities is that you or your college is the one that have been hacked, but not their PC, but they falls to social engineering hacking. Social Engineering hacking is involving manipulation of human brain that causes the victims to being tricked into believing or trusting the hackers somehow. 

If i were you, firstly i will check my password and my college password and change it to much better stronger password. Even if it already strong to you theres a possibilities it has falls to the hacker hand. Then all the best is to open and request support from FB support page to regain back your control over the page. And let me tell you, times factor is important here, so the faster you requested the support from FB, the higher the possibilities for you to gain back your page.

I have manage almost hundred of servers, and believe me, daily i can get almost a thousand scanning from bot daily from different ip. So the best way to protect is use the strong unknown password to the world, in a word that only you can understand and not existed in any dictionary and mixed it with number and symbols that only you know the meaning behind the number.

Anyway i hope you understand, any security products can protect your PC and your surfing experience on internet only. But ESET adn other security software did not protect the website themselves from hacker. They just protected you.

Thank you very much khairulaizat92 for taking your time to reply.

• I posted this question here because it said that ESET has integrated scanner in the facebook (when I was trying to scan my fb account with ESET social media scanner).
  • I contacted the Facebook support team first thing when the page was hacked, but they haven't responded till now and I doubt they will respond in future. They do not have any form to fill up to reclaim or report the page too.
  • These are the pages that are hacked:
https://www.facebook.com/AbdulKalamFanClub/

https://www.facebook.com/inspiringyoungindian/

https://www.facebook.com/TheVivekanandaFanClub/

Now they created a page called Life inspiration and are sharing their things on my page.

• I have a feeling that someone hired a hacker to take over my page.
  • The pages had 6 Million fans in total and it had taken me 8 years to build those pages. So I'm fighting to get it back.
  • One question I have is, if I create a new page and start building it, what are the chances of it getting hacked? Should I delete my facebook account completely and create a new one so that if there are any data of my profile with the hackers gets deleted.

45 minutes ago, Manjunath Maiya said:

• One question I have is, if I create a new page and start building it, what are the chances of it getting hacked? Should I delete my facebook account completely and create a new one so that if there are any data of my profile with the hackers gets deleted.

I dont think you need to delete your facebook account. If you take the below precaution, the chances will be as low as 10%

1. Check your emails that you used to register FB, check your details, check your email settings, ensured that there are no foreign email authorisation in your email, change it password, enable 2fa, enable security measure that easy for you but hard on hacker.
  2. Check your FB, check on the settings again check for any foreign element such as email used for your facebook (make sure only your email are present as admin and as the one received any security notification), check on the setting that allowed 3rd party to access you FB without you knowing such as backup email. Enable and check you security settings on FB, enable 2FA and any security measure that easy for you but hard on hacker.

Other step is you and your partner to take measures against social engineering hack including phishing link. Phishing link quite tricky this days expecially when the spelling are correct, accept that it sometimes has small symbol under it, suchas this one Ẹset.com, as you can see, under E has some symbol under it, this is called "unicode". Based on my experience, my client most likely will fall with this trick. Im also once almost trick by this. 

And lastly, i wish you good luck for your fight.