Thunderbird stopped working with gmail yesterday

tlapse

I've been running Thunderbird with four gmail accounts for years, but it suddenly stopped working yesterday around 11:30 AM Pacific time.

This must be related to a ESET update.

I am running Nod32 Antivirus 5 version 5.0.95.0

Thunderbird will not receive gmail. It will send, but report an error saving to the Sent folder.

This is a CRITICAL problem!

• Administrators

ESET doesn't support Thunderbird and email received from Gmail is not scanned unless you enable SSL scanning. Does disabling protocol filtering or IMAP/IMAPS scanning actually make a difference?

• Administrators

Hi tlapse,

I was specifically asking about disabling application protocol filtering and IMAP/IMAPS scanning in the advanced setup, not about disabling protection via the tray icon menu.

Also I'd recommend upgrading your ESET NOD32 Ativirus to the latest version 7.0.302 which provides better protection against malware than older version.

I unchecked "Enable IMAP checking" in "IMAP scanner setup" and it works now after re-entering all my passwords.

So what happened? Why after so many years did this suddenly become necessary? What ESET features did I lose over this?

Am I entitled to a version 7 upgrade? Or will I have to pay more?

Is this problem be fixed in version 7?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi tlapse,

I was specifically asking about disabling application protocol filtering and IMAP/IMAPS scanning in the advanced setup, not about disabling protection via the tray icon menu.

Also I'd recommend upgrading your ESET NOD32 Ativirus to the latest version 7.0.302 which provides better protection against malware than older version.

This is exactly what i did works perfectly. I had the same problem with outlook 10 (my first post btw)

Edited by Rockin_Eset

I unchecked "Enable IMAP checking" in "IMAP scanner setup" and it works now after re-entering all my passwords.

So what happened? Why after so many years did this suddenly become necessary? What ESET features did I lose over this?

Am I entitled to a version 7 upgrade? Or will I have to pay more?

Is this problem be fixed in version 7?

you don't have to pay anything, your license will work on ANY version of NOD32

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Over a few days recently my imap accounts via thunderbird all failed to connect or recognise passwords whe re-entered.

I could not view any emails from gmail accounts (virginmedia).

I have latest v7 nod32 and updated win7.

I tried all sorts over about 10 evenings trying to get this sorted moaning at my isp, spent about 40 minutes with them just confirming all my settings were correct

The last thing I expected was that NOD32 would be the cause.

I needed to uncheck the imap Checking in advance screen. Now I have my email back, but why does NOD32 all of a sudden behave like this ? (am I now open to virus threats having un-checked this box ?)

Strange thing is if I created a imap account on my wifes desk top running pretty much same spec, all worked ok.

I've had forum dialog with my isp, they too are interested in what's going on with imap and nod32

Seems there are a few on the forum having similar issues with the imap fails.

Can anyone explain what is going on.?

Thanks in advance.

Had/have *exactly* the same problem, including the sudden stoppage of mail.

Posted about it over at Google, including my solution, at this link:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/gmail/lw6OYhW3f5c/canumL0Mo_0J

The only thing I could find that worked was to exclude Thunderbird.exe from the Protocol Filtering. Then one account would receive again, and I could re-add my other Gmail account.

But this seems to leave me open to attack. I will look at turning off the IMAP/IMAPS scanning, as Marcos suggested and Tlapse said worked.

Still concerned about opening a security hole in my email client. Is that what I'm doing?

I'm on eset nod32 AV 5, T'Bird 24.3, and this all started right at the end of January.

I have submitted this problem through the eset support widget, including a full data dump.

Have at it, eset.

PS: "ESET doesn't support Thunderbird" per Marcos? What's that mean?

EDIT #1: I unchecked Thunderbird from the Protocol Filtering Exclusion list. I then turned on Protocol Filtering / SSL / Always scan SSL protocol (left two boxes on that panel checked by default). Then went back to Email client integration  / IMAP, IMAPS / and left selected Use IMAPS protocol checking for selected ports. The 2 ports listed are 585 and 993. Note that 993 is the default outgoing IMAP server port for the auto-config by T'Bird of the GMail addresses. 

When I first tested this, it took a while for a test email to land, so long that I was in the process of writing up the failure of this when T'Bird's notice of New Mail popped up. Subsequent tests find the email arrives almost instantly. 

BUT: That first receipt of mail included several objections about unsigned certificates, although all of them had google.com addresses. Weirdly, one was for POP.google.com. Weird, since this is an IMAP-configured mailbox, and IMAPS-checking is what I'm enabling.

BTW, to eset, my posted case is #1135543.

Thanks all. 

Edited by Kzoom

• Administrators

Next week we'll be releasing a newer version of the Internet protection module 1105 on pre-release servers. When available, let us know if it solves your problems with scanning IMAP.