IP Addresses missing in ERA console

ERA Server: 6.5.522.0 / ERA Web Console: 6.5.388.0

Typically in the web console, next to each host name the IP address of the computer is displayed.

I have a number of systems with agent/av installed and checking in regularly (green checkmark), but the IP address is not displayed next to the Computer Name. If I add the IP Address column to ERA, that column is also blank. When I check the details of each client they typically have only one adapter and the IP address is listed correctly there.

Why does the IP address not show in the ERA console columns?  How do I get it to appear correctly?

My theory is this info is queried from DNS and not from the adapter, since the adapter details reflects the correct value. Can anyone confirm?

• ESET Staff

Actually both views are using the same source, except that main clients view uses pre-computed data (cache) for better response times. Any chance those computers with missing IP addresses are the same macOS machines that were reporting also wrong (duplicated) FQDN? Any chance it recovers after a time, or still the same devices are missing IP address?

On 4/18/2018 at 10:24 AM, MartinK said:

Actually both views are using the same source, except that main clients view uses pre-computed data (cache) for better response times. Any chance those computers with missing IP addresses are the same macOS machines that were reporting also wrong (duplicated) FQDN? Any chance it recovers after a time, or still the same devices are missing IP address?

No, apparently the IP addresses appear in the ERA console after waiting quite some time. I'm not sure why such a long delay given the information is already available in the client details.

are they part of an Active Directory Domain?

I've noticed that my Mac's have some interesting behavior in our AD domain and I have only been able to pin it to 'stale records' cleanup in DNS. The name records get stuck with a specific IP address and do not get flushed - so in a reverse look up query the DNS reports the Mac's FQDN with the stale name records. 

I wonder if the same kind of thing is happening with your DHCP server?

I do have the same thing happen with some of our Mac's at times. Most of them resolve after a little while, but some do not. I have one newer MBP that will only report its IPv6 address even though the IPv4 address shows in it's detail page.

• ESET Staff
On 4/19/2018 at 7:24 PM, j-gray said:

No, apparently the IP addresses appear in the ERA console after waiting quite some time. I'm not sure why such a long delay given the information is already available in the client details.

It seems that issue has been reproduced and will be fixed for upcoming release. Problem was in logic selecting current IP address and issue was triggered by devices that has changed IP address recently and thus it mostly affects "roaming" devices (i.e. laptops). It might recover after "midnight" cleanups, but it is not guaranteed.

3 hours ago, jkknight said:

I wonder if the same kind of thing is happening with your DHCP server?

Doesn't seem like it --they appear correctly in DHCP and DNS.  Plus, it shows the correct IP in the client details page, just not the main view in the ERA console.

Sounds like it's a known issue, though, based on the post above...