EKRN.exe keeps using 98 to 100% CPU

Hope someone can help me, this has been occurring over the last few weeks.

when i boot up everything is fine, however, after between 1/2 hour to a day my system really slows down and takes an age to do anything - and EKRN.exe can be found to be using virtually all of my CPU.

I have tried deleting and re-installing, but it is still happening.

I also use Malware Bytes but have never had this issue before.

has anyone else been suffering from this? is there a solution/ settings to change?

I'm at my wits end and am thinking of deleting and moving to another product - annoying as I paid for this for up to 2015 as its been so good thus far :-(

please help.

• Administrators

It's not clear yet what is causing the CPU to spike. If it were on-demand scans running in the background, it'd be normal for ekrn to utilize the CPU more than usual. Try disabling each of the protection modules, one at a time, and see if it makes a difference (start off with disabling real-time protection). Also check if the number of scanned files is rising in the protection statistics. Let us know about your findings.

If disabling real-time protection helps, it's most likely another application continually performing operations that invoke continual scanning of certain files.

Might be worth to know what OS you use as well XP, Win7, Win8........ :)

I like how you left out Vista lol :lol:

My pleasure  :P  ;)

• Administrators

Please open Task manager, right-click ekrn.exe and select "Create dump file" from the menu. When done, compress the memory dump, upload it to a safe location and pm me the download link. The dump should contain information we'll need to determine the cause of the cpu spike.