unable to isntall ERA_Installer_x86_en_US.exe (Error code - msi.1920)

Hi,

When trying to install ERA_Installer_x86_en_US.exe in windows 7 , getting error code MSI.1920.

system has full administrator privileges.

i had run ESET Sysrescue on that system and perform full cleaning.

Kindly find the attached screen shot and elc logs.

Regards,

Bhavik

error.png

ELC_logs.zip

• ESET Staff

In what phase is installation interrupted with this error? Before any products installation is started? Or even before initial screen with installer information is shown?

I would recommend to check installer logs located in %temp%\eset\bts\ for any obvious problems. Mentioned directory should contain log of all-in-one installer, and in case installation of bundled products started, theirs installation logs should be located somewhere around.

• Administrators

I found an error "Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\ekrn.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\ekrn.exe" on line 0. Invalid Xml syntax." in your event log.

Please continue as follows:
- Run "sxstrace.exe trace -logfile:sxstrace.etl" in a commandline console. You should see:

C:\LOG>sxstrace.exe trace -logfile:sxstrace.etl
Tracing started. Trace will be saved to file sxstrace.etl.
Press Enter to stop tracing...

- attempt to start ekrn.exe from the Services console or by running "net start ekrn"
- press enter in the commandline console to stop logging
- provide me with sxstrace.etl.

Then you can also provide me with fresh ELC and Procmon logs for me to check that the malware c:\windows\rss\csrss.exe is not running any more.

• 3 weeks later...

I 've had the same error, using a compiled installed from ESET CP to install Agent/AV . 
Found an anorthodox solution as per below : 

1. Begin installation 

2. On final step before proceeding to installing the agent/AV , navigate to temporary folder where the *.msi installer files are extracted and copy them to another location. 
For Agent :    C:\Users\YourWindowsUserProfileName\AppData\Local\Temp\eset\bts.session\{02D83BBE-F7F7-F7A4-EF84-xxxxxxxxxx}\.pkg\0\
For Antivirus Endpoint :     C:\Users\YourWindowsUserProfileName\AppData\Local\Temp\eset\bts.session\{02D83BBE-F7F7-F7A4-EF84-xxxxxxxxxx}\.pkg\1\

3. Then abort installation

4. Proceed manualy to install agent and endpoint 

5. Completed succesfully.