Blocking *.tmp attachment name Blocks some Office Files?

I'm finding that one of my Exchange mail protection Rules to block potentially harmful extensions is blocking certain Docx and other Office files, but not all. I was able to narrow it down to the rule that attempts to block the *.tmp extension.

Is there anyone who my know why eset would be blocking some Office documents sent via outlook under a rule to block sending of *.tmp files?

Thanks

Jdashn

• ESET Staff

Hi jdashn,

You can remove the *.tmp extension from the rule. We already removed it in newer versions because it caused this problem.

You can see Office documents blocked because they are archives and some of them may contain *.tmp files (rules are evaluated on each file in archive).

Filips,

Thanks a ton for the info! any chance we can have a feature that says block tmp files unless they're inside an office container? (totally understand if not!)

Thanks again,

Jdashn

• ESET Staff

Hi,

This feature has already been discussed with some customers. The problem is that it defeats the purpose of rules - if an admin wants to block certain type of files then why give users an easy way to "smuggle" these files into your company (e.g. just put it in a DOC file)?

The problem with *.tmp can be solved easily, but if we find a good use case for "Is in a container" setting we will certainly implement it.