sync flood error: anyone experiencing this condition?

my first critical event was within several hours of downloading ess v.6 and while i'm [almost] certain it isn't about ess, i'm still to resolve the issue having made numerous changes to my computer to get it back to working as it did.

it's a power management issue: i'd configured it [the system per my sig] to sleep via the power button [i use a desktop] and for several weeks, tapping the power button would put my computer to sleep and also wake it up...

i'm teaching myself about cpu and pci clocking and mostly i believe my issue lies within the bios BUT the techs tell me that if it's anything to do with my configuration, i'll be charged for their time and effort --- my computer is less than 12 months old and so still under warranty...

without messing with the bios [apart from enabling my ps2 keyboard to 'wake' my computer], i've done everything i can.

for the most part, my keyboard has failed to 'wake' my computer and in the past few days i decided to uninstall ie10 and some software periphals i have attached to my computer that despite working with win7, are incompatible with win7 [namely, my keyboard and mouse, my backup drive and it's management software, and my printer - despite there being driver and software updates to each to enable compatibilty].

can anyone shed any light?

tia :)

i just now uninstalled the management tool attached to my backup applicartion; the management tool did not recognise its associated backup application.

there was a diagnostic facility available with the management tool, and even tho i used it, i had no clue as to what it was diagnostically testing...

perhaps both applications, either one or both, caused connection issues within the cpu and pci bus/es!

i assume the external drive itself is now stand alone...

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

I am glad to hear that you solved the problem. You might want to check with the developer of the backup application to report a bug (in case they were unaware of it) and also to see if a fix is available (in case they are aware of it).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

hi aryeh and thanks for your post.

no, my issue remains unresolved; i posted about uninstalling my backup management tool because [a], it was incompatible with win 7, and , it appeared to serve no purpose.

the sync flood error condition still exists.

as i initially said, the first critical error [reported on my computer event log] was only hours following the download and install of ess6, and i'm curious to know whether there's anything within the ess6 default configuration that might cause clocking issues.

any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

I cannot think of anything in ESET's software which would cause an issue with a PS/2 keyboard waking up a computer from sleep.

You might want to try a different keyboard, or even plug a USB one in, and see what difference that makes, if any.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Have you installed all of the Windows updates? Sleep/Hibernate has been an issue with Win7. Some are fixed with updates. Others require a visit to the computer maker's site to update the BIOS. Other times, the motherboard is too old and the system needs to be updated.

My system will handle sleep/hibernate, but I've modified my power plan to never sleep but turn off the monitor after 20 minutes of inactivity. I use the hours that I'm not likely to be at the computer to perform maintenance such as scans, backups, defrag, etc.

Don

Hello,

I cannot think of anything in ESET's software which would cause an issue with a PS/2 keyboard waking up a computer from sleep.

You might want to try a different keyboard, or even plug a USB one in, and see what difference that makes, if any.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

thanks aryeh for your reply --- while i *knew* in my gut it wouldn't be eset the program, i wondered whether there was something about it's configuration.

several weeks before, i had installed a wireless keyboard and mouse but part of the elimination, i reinstalled my wired peripherals, downloaded the update software and drivers without there being any impact on my problem.

Have you installed all of the Windows updates? Sleep/Hibernate has been an issue with Win7. Some are fixed with updates. Others require a visit to the computer maker's site to update the BIOS. Other times, the motherboard is too old and the system needs to be updated.

My system will handle sleep/hibernate, but I've modified my power plan to never sleep but turn off the monitor after 20 minutes of inactivity. I use the hours that I'm not likely to be at the computer to perform maintenance such as scans, backups, defrag, etc.

Don

hello don :)  yes, i have installed all the updates and with all the reading i've done, i have become aware of the issues win7 has with sleep/wakeup [i don't have a hibernate option].

my computer is still under warranty so while i'm of the belief it is most likely a bios/motherboard issue, i'm reticent to perform such updates for the time being, looking at other aspects to avoid being charged for conditions caused by 'personal settings issues, configurations and downloads running other services not germane to the operating system'.

since making this post, i made some changes to how the desktop displays and while sleep/wakeup did for the past several days operate as expected, seemingly as a result, i did tonight experience a sync flood error; note please that i've not shutdown my computer for several days, maintaining it in sleep to wakeup to sleep mode so as to check its operation.

this is not the right forum to continue this discussion so i will report again, as necessary, in the appropriate place when i have something further to add.

thanks don for your post :)

Edited by BellaBoo