Splash Screen displays despite preference set to "off"

@Marcos @Peter Randziak

While this has been addressed in other topic threads, no one from ESET has thus far responded. Since updating to 11.1.42.0/1 (via a fresh install, as the update process was originally problematic), the splash screen is shown during boot up on Win7 x64. The setting for the splash screen is set to "off."

Please advise. Thank you.

• Administrators

Please check if HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\gui\UI_CONFIG\ShowSplash is set to 0 or 1.

• Administrators

Try updating from pre-release update servers. The issue should be addressed by the latest version of the Configuration Engine module 1659.3 which will be put on regular update servers probably next week.

@Marcos Thank you for the prompt response.

I am not switching to pre-release. The last time I switched to pre-release and then back to regular release completed corrupted my installation; and since the issue is not critical, but cosmetic, I have no desire/time to play beta tester in this instance. I was able to also test on a Win10 machine without a SSD drive, and the issue is reproducible so it is not Win7 specific.

I am pleased that the issue is being acknowledged, but still leaves me with the concerns that:

1) If this setting is not working properly, what other custom setting are not working properly? And,

2) There are general QA issues which need to be addressed.

I will wait for the regular release of the module, and report back to you.

• Administrators

Honestly, I don't remember if we ever had bad modules on pre-release servers that could cause serious issues. We recommend using pre-release updates on non-production systems since they give you a possibility to test new modules that have passed QA tests and be among the first to receive them (similar to Insider preview builds of Windows 10; they are not of a poor quality and are released only an intensive QA testing). Even in the event of issues with pre-release updates, one can always switch back to regular updates, report the issue to ESET and wait until it's fixed. If there are not many users who use pre-release updates, new modules will not be installed on a variety of systems and possible issues cannot be discovered and fixed before modules get to regular update servers. Once a module is put on regular update servers, switching to pre-release updates won't help since they contain the same module. Then the only possible workaround is to restore a previous update snapshot which will also pause updates until the issue is addressed.

1, We are not aware of any issues with other settings. Splash screen settings are not critical and do not affect protection in any way.
2, What QA issues do you mean?

I also have had past issues on my Win 10 build with pre-release updates hanging my PC. Switching back to normal updating resolved the issue. As such, I won't use pre-release updates.

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, itman said:

I also have had past issues on my Win 10 build with pre-release updates hanging my PC. Switching back to normal updating resolved the issue. As such, I won't use pre-release updates.

But please keep in mind that the less users use pre-release updates, the higher chance that modules from pre-release servers will get to regular update servers without possible bugs being not addressed first. Despite extensive internal QA tests that each module has to pass before it's put on pre-release servers, we cannot simulate and test modules with all possible system configurations that exist.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

But please keep in mind that the less users use pre-release updates, the higher chance that modules from pre-release servers will get to regular update servers without possible bugs being not addressed first. Despite extensive internal QA tests that each module has to pass before it's put on pre-release servers, we cannot simulate and test modules with all possible system configurations that exist.

@Marcos I understand the need for some percentage of users to serve as beta-testers/pre-release update testers. However, I have a home office with only a handful of systems, none of them non-critical. In other words, when a machine has an issue, I pivot from doing my job to working as my own IT department. While I have those skills, it is not my primary function. On the other hand, if ESET were to offer incentives for people both using and providing feedback for pre-release updates, that would be another thing to consider all together, as I am always looking for cost savings.

There have been a number of QA issues over the past month. They have been detailed in these forums, by me and others. Yes, this one is completely cosmetic, and I do understand that.

When there were installation issues from 11.0 to 11.1, I switched to pre-release to get the correct configuration module, then switched back to "regular." At that point, almost all the protection modules failed (big red warnings!), and I uninstalled and reinstalled "fresh." That whole process took several hours. I am not going to potentially spend hours over a splash screen issue. It just needs to be fixed via the next regular update.:)

• Administrators

Did you leave pre-release updates enabled before restarting the computer? Switching to pre-release updates and immediately back will install the same modules so the fix / change cannot take effect after a reboot. Personally I've used pre-release updates for a long time and wasn't able to reproduce this issue.