SQL Server on Windows 10 Firewall Help

Good day.  I am trying to set up an instance of Sql Server on a desktop (Windows 10 desktop) and am running into firewall issues with ESET Internet Security 11.1.42.1.  I haven't attempted to work with the Windows Firewall in quite some time, so even the feel of things has changed pretty significantly (adding to my confusion).  In order to connect to SQL server instances in the past I would add SQL Server (via port 1433) as a new connection rule (inbound and outbound if memory serves me, but it has been a few years); however now with ESET managing the Windows Defender Firewall I am uncertain of the method of management, and I am curious as to the means (requirement to?) of restarting the service after any changes as the option to restart from both services and via the command line (net stop/start) is not available (running as Admin).  Any assistance in this is greatly appreciated, thank you.

• Administrators

Run the firewall troubleshooting wizard which will give an overview of recently blocked communications. You can then create a rule and and unblock particular communication with a click:

image.png

When creating a rule for a server application running on the machine with EIS, you specify only the local port. The remote port is picked automatically by the operating system on the remote machine.

Thank you Marcos, I think I have worked out the rule issues.  Rule changes and whatnot applied from within the UI are effective on hitting apply, is that correct?  There is no requirement to restart any services after such changes is how I understand things.  Again, thank you.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, boneal said:

There is no requirement to restart any services after such changes is how I understand things.

That's correct. Rules are applied immediately after you create or modify them.