How to upgrade from File Security 6.x to 6.x+?

First off I'd like to point out that it's odd that there is not a more straight-forward upgrade for incremental versions of your software built in to ERA. If there is, please let me know!

For the Endpoint Antivirus product, I followed a help article here which basically said to create a Software Install task, select the new version of EEA, do not select a license, and then select reboot when necessary. This actually worked flawlessly across 19 clients. 

For EFS this does not seem like a good solution as I do not ever want my servers restarting except when I do it myself after properly shutting down their running services. For now, I'm creating an installer without a license which I plan to try to install over the existing product manually. 

But in the meantime, what is considered best practice for upgrading ESET File Security for Windows Server? Are there any plans to make this more streamlined? 

Thanks!

• Administrators

I'd recommend upgrading server products at the maintenance time. Upgrading to a new version requires a restart, otherwise older drivers will remain loaded until the next system restart which may cause unexpected issues, especially if you upgrade to a new major version (e.g. from EFSW v4 to EFSW 6).

You can perform the Software Install task without automatically rebooting.  Under the task's Settings section there is a checkbox labeled "AUTOMATICALLY REBOOT WHEN NEEDED".