Problem with steam based games (source engine)

Go to solution Solved by Ferocious,

Hi,

I'm having a problem launching tf2/l4d2/payday2 or any other source based game. i cant launch them without turning off ALL of my security features. Which is weird, because it used to work just fine.

When i launch the game with all of my security features turned on it will launch the process but it becomes bugged and cannot be killed with nothing but a reboot (tried several other options besides windows task manager).

i've tried to disable the security features for 10 minutes, launching the game, only to get a blue screen after 10 minutes 5 out of 5 times.

So my question is:

Is there any way i can whitelist the tf2/l4d2/pd2 proces so it will bypass smart security? i know this will create a hole in my protection but turning smart security aff completely makes an even bigger hole than just the tf2 proces.

• Administrators

I'd rather expect the games to run sluggish with v7 installed. Does disabling Advanced memory scanner in the advanced HIPS setup make a difference?

Fun fact, HIPS is turned on and its the only thing i dont need to disable. (see screenshot)

Games where running like a thick substance through a funnel, but after i reinstalled windows 7(64bit) it was running like a charm again, 200+ fps on all source engine games.

i'll try those settings as soon as i get home again

post-2468-0-22983800-1386599599_thumb.jpg

Thank marcos, that did the trick!

What i also noticed, is that since i've disabled that setting, i got a pop up telling me that the HL2.exe was edited and if i wanted to allow that,i think that is where the problem was, since my last HL2.exe update was about the same time i started having this problem.

Could it be that for some reason the update window of eset smart security wasn't popping up? it displays all the same symptons, when the popup is there i cant kill the task and the window of the process doesn't open up.

I'd rather expect the games to run sluggish with v7 installed.

Either way, everything is working fine again and i can say that playing games with windows 7 64bit and smart security 7 does NOT eat up my performance, everything runs even smoother than before, hardware info:

amd 965BE @3.8 ghz / sapphire R7 260X / 4 gig ram @ 1333 mhz / caviar blue 320gb for windows, caviar blue 320gb for games and programs

Thanks for the support,

Now i remember why i chose ESET :)

• Administrators

Actually disabling advanced memory scanner is not safe, it degrades protection capabilities to v6 or older. We're planning to release an update of the HIPS module which should improve performance of certain games substantially.

But how is it than, that when i disable all features BUT HIPS, the game will also run, and disabling the AMS also works as a fix....

Thats the one thing i cant get my head wrapped around it.(im not an IT professional but i've got a technical job aswell, so PC's aren't that unknown to me)

Is there a way that i can make certain rules within HIPS that will exclude HL2.exe from all HIPS functionality? so that i can feel safe untill the HIPS update.

That would create only one tiny hole instead of the "huge gaping hole" ive got now.

Edited by Ferocious

• Administrators

Also please try to get kernel or complete memory dumps from BSOD which may include valuable information for our engineers and I will provide you with further instructions how to supply them to us for analysis.