OS X - Update already in progress

j-gray

I frequently get a small pop-up window over the ESET icon in the menu bar that says, "Update already in progress", there is a bit more text, but it disappears fairly quickly.

When launched, the client GUI shows no errors or issues.

Any idea what's causing this?

12 minutes ago, j-gray said:

Scheduled only has the regular update task set by policy, which runs every 60 minutes.

I have experienced this on my mac as well. I believe I have the stock update policies set as well.

Does this mean that the update task has been running for over an hour and is still running when the next update task triggers?

• 1 month later...

Still getting this pop-up several times a week. Multiple times today.

Any other suggestions?

• ESET Moderators

Hello @j-gray / @kingoftheworld

can you please collect the logs with https://support.eset.com/kb3404/ so we can check it?

Please hit replication stop once you receive the error, pack the collected logs and send me a private message with a reference to this thread.

Also the screenshot of the error might be helpful.

Regards, P.R.

6 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hello @j-gray / @kingoftheworld

can you please collect the logs with https://support.eset.com/kb3404/ so we can check it?

Please hit replication stop once you receive the error, pack the collected logs and send me a private message with a reference to this thread.

Also the screenshot of the error might be helpful.

Regards, P.R.

Unfortunately, it is a very random pop-up. It frequently goes days without appearing and I don't think my drive is large enough to collect logs for that duration.

One would think that errors in the application would be logged natively without having to jump through hoops. While I do see log files under the ESET application folder, they are all .dat files and not readable. Is there anywhere else I can look that would have any useful information?

• ESET Moderators

Hello @j-gray ,

the logs collecting is not continual, it just writes time markers to the logs so we know where to look.

You can collect the logs just after the issue occurred.

The .dat files are have proprietary format so cannot be easily read, only via our product GUI.

Regards, P.R.

12 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hello @j-gray ,

the logs collecting is not continual, it just writes time markers to the logs so we know where to look.

You can collect the logs just after the issue occurred.

The .dat files are have proprietary format so cannot be easily read, only via our product GUI.

Regards, P.R.

I've been running the latest RC for a week or so. Just got the "update already in progress" pop-up again, so does not appear to be fixed.

And of course I was not logging at the time.

I did find that a short logging session generated a 250MB file when zipped up. Hopefully it doesn't get larger than that after time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Moderators

Hello @j-gray ,

sorry for the delay :-(

The RC version has same special logs enabled, but it should be sufficient to collect the logs few moments after the issues occurs and mark down the exact time so we know, where to look for it in the logs,..

Also a screenshot of the error would be helpful.

Regards, P.R.

3 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hello @j-gray ,

sorry for the delay :-(

The RC version has same special logs enabled, but it should be sufficient to collect the logs few moments after the issues occurs and mark down the exact time so we know, where to look for it in the logs,..

Also a screenshot of the error would be helpful.

Regards, P.R.

The error message randomly drops down from the ESET app icon in the OS X menu bar at the top of the screen then disappears in only a few seconds --unfortunately not enough time to grab a screenshot.

Again, would be handy if the app logged errors by default and didn't have to have a separate application running to log errors...

2 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hello @j-gray , 

luckily our QA guy encountered issue, which looks the same, so we will look into it.

Regards, P.R.

Great. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

@Peter Randziak;

Any idea if this issue is caused by the agent or the AV client?

I upgraded to the latest version AV (6.6.800.1) yesterday and just got the same 'update in already in progress' warning pop-up just now.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2018 at 1:54 AM, Peter Randziak said:

Hello @j-gray,

as far as I know, it should be caused by the AV client itself.

Regards, P.R.

Any ETA on a fix for this issue?  Yesterday, I experienced this popup no less than five times throughout the day without any interacting with the ESET GUI.