OPEN ELA duplicate licenses

Hi guys,

I am the manager of ESET in the company where I work. And we're always having this problem ... 

example 1:

imageedit_17_7302567325.thumb.jpg.36043ecb370319dc0751e8d581fa2df8.jpg

example 2:

imageedit_7_3142212674.thumb.jpg.d5fd0fafaa7a1fcf9c516f5415a311e4.jpg

Can someone explain to me why this happens and if I can do something to prevent this from happening again?

I usually clean the duplicate products from time to time... 

Thx alot,

Bruno Neves

imageedit_7_3142212674.jpg

• ESET Staff

Hello, duplicating of licenses is most probably a result of the hardware fingerprinting based on the device mac address. If that is a laptop, which often switches network adapter (transfers between LAN / WLAN, for example when docking), it might result in duplicating entries. We are actively working on a fix, that will be implemented in a service release after the GA of Endpoint V7 (we will need to change also the licensing back-end).  ESET will not take this into consideration as a license violation, as we are aware of this issue. Concerning prevention, the only solution (although not convenient) will be to activate the seat using the offline file, and restrict its communication to the ESET Licensing servers via a Firewall (as offline file should not be used for activation of seats, which are connecting to the internet).  I would suggest that you ignore it for the meantime, clean the duplicated seats from time to time, and wait for the fix, that´s coming later this year. Please also accept my sincere apology for the caused inconvenience.

4 hours ago, MichalJ said:

Hello, duplicating of licenses is most probably a result of the hardware fingerprinting based on the device mac address. If that is a laptop, which often switches network adapter (transfers between LAN / WLAN, for example when docking), it might result in duplicating entries. We are actively working on a fix, that will be implemented in a service release after the GA of Endpoint V7 (we will need to change also the licensing back-end).  ESET will not take this into consideration as a license violation, as we are aware of this issue. Concerning prevention, the only solution (although not convenient) will be to activate the seat using the offline file, and restrict its communication to the ESET Licensing servers via a Firewall (as offline file should not be used for activation of seats, which are connecting to the internet).  I would suggest that you ignore it for the meantime, clean the duplicated seats from time to time, and wait for the fix, that´s coming later this year. Please also accept my sincere apology for the caused inconvenience.

The problem with removing the duplicate seat is exactly as you mentioned.  If the device is a laptop and checks in the first time with a wired NIC to activate, then checks in with the wireless NIC later activating a second license, how are you supposed to tell the difference between which one is which?  I have stopped removing duplicates because it has generated a service ticket when I incorrectly guessed the wrong one and was showing deactivated messages on the client side.