Still seeing duplicated activations in ELA

I tried to reply to the existing thread but it has been archived - last post was December.

We are also still experiencing duplicated clients pulling a license (likely due to laptops using wired and wifi connections), and getting notification emails that our license count is exceeded.

What is the status of this getting fixed?

• ESET Staff

Hello @Embercide

We have a new technology for seat identification. This will be firstly used in our new version of ERA, and then implemented in the new Endpoint products. It’s tricky to comment about a release date, but I anticipate H2/2018 for the final resolution (service release of Endpoint 7).

Hi ESET-Team,

this issue is unresolved for more than 7 month. Each an every laptop user that is using wired and wifi or a usb-dock is impacted. I don't understand why you are unable to provide a fix for this for such a long time. The current situtation is annoying. Please fix this in Version 6 asap.

Kind regards,

Florian

I will continue to ignore the exceeded license variations and while waiting for this long overdue fix, will explore alternative vendors.

Perhaps ones that have a less painful management head-end.

• 2 weeks later...

this issue, and several others that are being pushed off until 2018/Version 7 (auto-resolve of 'handled' infections, etc) cost me a significant amount of time in day-to-day maintenance of an application that should not be this hands on.  These issues have been 'on the radar' since just after the release of version 6. The time to manage this 'small' issues with ESET build up and have started to make managing ESET more difficult and time consuming that it was during our initial assessment of the product. 

If what is holding these advancements/improvements back is marketing or design or some other such nonsense, it is causing those who purchase licenses by the thousand, more than just minor headaches, and these solutions should be tested and released immediately.

I do not like having to spend hours each week managing my virus scanning software licences just because an improvement is being held back. Please tell me that there is a technical reason for holding back it's release and not just 'we want it on this release schedule'.. this like this make it difficult for me to argue for ESET vs potentially less time consumptive solutions.

Jdashn

• ESET Staff

@jdashn Thank you for your feedback.

Both issues you have mentioned (auto-resolving of handled threats) and duplication of licenses, are known for some time (that is correct and we admit it). 

I can assure you, it was not marketing / design, that prevented them to be addressed sooner.  During scoping / prioritizing, we do focus on the issues reported by our customers, but also on various other sources of data. The amount of things we want to do, is always higher, than the amount of things we are able to. And when we do things, we want to do them at the best quality level.  They will be addressed in the upcoming version 7, which is a bit delayed, compared to the previous plans.

If you consider the current issue with the licensing as being very painful, there is a workaround that you can use (convert your entire license quantity into the offline license file, activate all of your seats using the offline license, and get the offline license violation tag white-listed on our licensing servers. You won´t see your seats in ELA, but it will never report over-usage, in case of a frequently changing HW, and you will use ERA, for evidence of the machines. Would this work?

@MichalJ that sounds far too convoluted as a workaround.  Since this is a known bug in your software I will simply continue to ignore the license exceeded emails until upgraded to v7

When can we expect v7?  It has been promised for far too long, and we have many existing problems that are promised to be fixed in this version.  I was originally told we should have it available Q1 of 2018, but it doesn't appear to be the case.  Should we expect some type of release to be around the RSA conference, or are we still a long ways out?

• ESET Staff

Yes, we will be announcing V7 release around RSA, with the actual availability being most probably by the end of Q2 (due to getting all related stuff ready). Beta of Endpoint 7 is going to start in few days, and we should have a build of ERA to share by April (my guess). If you are interested to get it, please let me know. 

Also, out of curiosity, which particular problems are you reffering to? 

6 hours ago, MichalJ said:

Yes, we will be announcing V7 release around RSA, with the actual availability being most probably by the end of Q2 (due to getting all related stuff ready). Beta of Endpoint 7 is going to start in few days, and we should have a build of ERA to share by April (my guess). If you are interested to get it, please let me know. 

Also, out of curiosity, which particular problems are you reffering to? 

Yes, please sign me up for any beta releases.  I am ready to get it installed on my dev server.

• 1 month later...