Visual Studio 2013 Exclusions

chrispduck

Eset Endpoint Antivirus 5.2225

with Real-time file system protection Enabled it really slows down the opening of visual studio. From seconds to minutes.

Have tried excluding paths in the client  but only excluding C:\* seems to work or switching off completely.

Is there a way I can work out when I open vs which files it is checking?

Or does anyone have  a working set of exclusions for Visual Studio ?

Or is there any other way of avoiding this?

Hi chrispduck,

Our company uses Visual Studio, but since our environment may differ completely from yours, this is how we managed our excludes. We had R&D run a compile on their code. The code is dedicated on a drive letter. Even if the code is in the C:, we have them make a drive letter out of that folder using the subst command. That drive letter is excluded from any activity. From there, we have R&D watch the statistics page make excludes where we see prudent. This would be directories that would exist in Program Files, the Users temp directory and some Windows folders as well.

I would just start by excluding the Program Files directory for VStudio and move forward from there. I know we have about 20 directory or file excludes to help our R&D get the best performance of out VStudio while compiling code.

• Administrators

Please log system operations using Process Monitor while reproducing the issue. After you've successfully reproduced the issue, compress the log, upload it to a safe location and pm the the download link.

• Administrators

If possible, please share your findings with us as there can be also other users who might be interested in knowing what files or folders need to be excluded.

Well, here are the excludes we have set, but just remember that this may be unique to what others may need for their development platform.

C:\Windows\assembly\*.*
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\*.*
C:\Users\*\AppData\Local\Temp\_CL_*
C:\Users\*\AppData\Local\Temp\Process?\_CL_*
C:\Windows\Prefetch\*.*
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\*.*
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\*.*
C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\*.*
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\*.*
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\*.*
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\*.*

We have others that are unique to our builds as well, which include excluding Phython as well as our build directories and application directories.

• 11 months later...

Hi,

After today's update of ESET Endpoint Security, my Visual Studio web project has suddenly stop working with http 404.

I am using local IIS server for developement with fixed port number for the project (e.g.: hxxp://localhost:30321/)

I do not know what the problem exactly is, but i have found other people had similar issues in the past, see for example:

hxxp://stackoverflow.com/questions/607562/visual-studio-development-server-using-wrong-port

The suggested solution in the above stackoverflow discussion does not work however, since in our product there is no webbrowsers list from which I could exclude web developement server.

So the question is, where and how can I modify the protection setting to disallow changes to port numbers or to completely disallow security scans/filters for my develepement project in http(s)://localhost  ?

Thanks in advance