Two Factor Authentication: Are you using it?

Marcos

101 members have voted

1. 1. With so much online thievery and identity hacking going on these days, what prevents people from using the added security of 2 factor authentication?

• Don’t perceive any threats to their online activities
    • Lack of knowledge about 2 factor authentication benefits
    • Presumption that you need special hardware to use 2 factor authentication
    • Preconception that 2 factor is difficult or cumbersome for the average user
    • 2 factor authentication is too expensive

This poll is closed to new votes

For me personally I think it's just unnecessary (don't throw stones at me yet). I agree with the fact that there is also lack of knowledge, but come on...Except you have some very vital info you want to protect so much them you can use the authentication security. True, there are a lot of hacks and things going on, but I don't think any hacker will want to waste their time getting into my account. Let's leave two factor authentication for those who needs it. The truth is that if hackers want to hack, I don't think it will stop them. 

But all the same, I really want to appreciate ESET and others for putting in the effort to ensure our online security. I guess I might need some extra security soon after posting this 😂

• 4 months later...
  • Most Valued Members

I am trying to find 2FA in the forum but I can't find it , it is not enabled right?

Is it possible to enable it for usage? so we can secure accounts more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I use two-factor authentication whenever possible with Authy. Authy with cloud backup is free and works on all popular platforms and devices.

I think that for many users it is really difficult and just an unnecessary burden. Many are not even particularly intimidated by the possibility of hacking their social media account or mail. In general, the mass user is not very smart, we cannot do anything about it. :)

• Most Valued Members
On 12/24/2019 at 2:48 PM, techylordz said:

For me personally I think it's just unnecessary (don't throw stones at me yet). I agree with the fact that there is also lack of knowledge, but come on...Except you have some very vital info you want to protect so much them you can use the authentication security. True, there are a lot of hacks and things going on, but I don't think any hacker will want to waste their time getting into my account. Let's leave two factor authentication for those who needs it. The truth is that if hackers want to hack, I don't think it will stop them. 

But all the same, I really want to appreciate ESET and others for putting in the effort to ensure our online security. I guess I might need some extra security soon after posting this 😂

I suppose it depends really. For example if a hacker manages to get into your email, they could do password resets on multiple websites and possibly even your bank (although most online banking had multiple layers of security these days).

They could also get into your social media accounts. This doesn't seem bad unless your someone in the publics eye, but a lot of employers actually take social media serious and have fired people for posts e.g. certain views or simply bad mouthing the company and/or customers.

I've seen some websites that don't ask for your 3 digit security code on the back of your card so a hacker could try and make purchases.

Some sites make it so only unknown devices need a check

• 1 month later...

We use ESSET Secure Authentication at our company and we're changing all of our customers from previous solutions (hardtokens + software) to ESET Secure Authentication. It's easy to install, configure, manage and use and it's much more safer to have a second factor!

• 8 months later...
  • Marcos locked and unpinned this topic