Two Factor Authentication: Are you using it?

Marcos

101 members have voted

1. 1. With so much online thievery and identity hacking going on these days, what prevents people from using the added security of 2 factor authentication?

• Don’t perceive any threats to their online activities
    • Lack of knowledge about 2 factor authentication benefits
    • Presumption that you need special hardware to use 2 factor authentication
    • Preconception that 2 factor is difficult or cumbersome for the average user
    • 2 factor authentication is too expensive

This poll is closed to new votes

I am sorry to have to say that Private Internet Access has a serious problem:  It works only on Administrator accounts.

A link that makes that clear (including my own unhappy contribution) is available at

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/2209/pia-windows-client-does-not-work-for-non-admin-windows-users/p1

So today I will be investigating Arakasi's suggestion (11 August 2014 - 03:09 PM) of using vpnsecure.me (https://www.vpnsecure.me/).  (I definitely would want 2048 bit keys.)

Another alternative that I am considering is

VikingVPN (https://vikingvpn.com/)

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • ESET Insiders

Not listed on the poll but I would choose:

Option #6: We use TFA and require it for any elevation or access to privileged systems.

• 10 months later...

Already using this on every web service which provides, I know the benefits.

Average user just don't know about it.

Yeah same here.And Security behavior is not that common for many people also. They use the same weak passwords for every stuff and they want it as easy as possible which most of the times kills security.

• 6 months later...
  • Most Valued Members

I use two factor authentication for a few things but I do have an issue with it. 

Back when lot's of people's icloud's got hacked, apple started rolling it out, but Apple never actually stated they were hacked which makes me believe a lot of the incidents where forms of phishing. I've read about phishing using two factor authentication which generally involves a hacker pretending to be from the site/company etc. Basically they inform the user that there's an issue but can't access the account until it's been disabled or they send them the code. Also if I remember correctly one phone network had issues with it's voicemails being hacked a while back. 

Don't get me wrong two factor authentication is great but it should never fully replace teaching people how to be secure. 

• 2 months later...
  • ESET Insiders

I use 2 factor authentication for all devices, apps and services when provided! An absolute must-have these days with the incredible fast rising amounts of threads!

Cheers

Edited by m4v3r1ck
Typo

• 1 month later...

Only when its really necessary. For example on my main google acc or steam account, because whats the point to bother yourself with code verification on every login that u have?

Edited by Genord92

9 hours ago, Genord92 said:

"Only when its really necessary.................... because whats the point to bother yourself with code verification on every login that u have?"

Could the point be security?:wacko::blink:

Edited by TomFace

On 11/22/2014 at 8:58 PM, Tani said:

Already using this on every web service which provides, I know the benefits.

Average user just don't know about it.

Same here.

• 4 months later...

Eset und welivesecurity suggest using 2FA where possbile. And I'd love to see more administrators implementing 2FA.

But why has e.g. my.eset.com still no 2FA implementation?  :huh:

Edited by senna

• 11 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

As for me, two factor authentication could be necessary for some imporant services like online banking. At the same time, it takes additional time, it will be better to avoid it in other, not important cases. 
The future of authentication is bio-data authentication (fingerprint or Face ID). It will be faster and secure enough.

The question itself is not well presented.

All the people I know use two factor authentication Pnr Status TextNow VPN, especially for social media (precisely Facebook) account.

It's a basic well-knwon largely used approach to prevent and also to DETECT unauthorized authentication.  

Edited by nour

• 1 month later...

I use two-factor verification for services like Gmail, social media accounts.

But if some random website requests it in the process of verification, I skip it. Don't know whether I'm right or wrong, but I'm too lazy to bother. But if to think more deeply, I'm giving them my data, so it's better to take better action in securing the info.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Most Valued Members
On 9/18/2019 at 10:41 AM, andrew br said:

i think people simply do not understabd the importance of two factor verification.

Most including those using it don't really understand and can rely too much on it

• Most Valued Members
6 hours ago, hsimpson409 said:

As far as I can tell, one needs a smart phone to use 2FA. I do not have a smart phone or any reason to have one. Always wondered how other people in this situation make do. 

Not all I don't think. Some just use a text message so as long as you have a mobile phone to receive the code you should be able to activate it. Some such as banking also have phone call options.

You can also get apps that work on computers as well as mobiles. I use one called authy which I have on my phone but also pc and as a chrome extension 

• 2 months later...