ESET fresh impresion

Installing again ESET internet security ;

• navigating through 1000's customs setting seems to be extremely convoluted. For each and every setting you need at least 5-6 clicks and I was never able to do it right from first time.
  • certain menus will open "minimized" (firewall) , and you have to maximized and to manually resize all columns in order to make the info visible. 
  • even though I set up everything for "no cleaning", certain items were automatically moved to quarantine
  • downgraded it to "antivirus" and try to use a third party firewall, which will complain about "ESET firewall", even though is not present in antivirus version

Most likely ESET is doing  the job, but the complexity is beyond handling; have you seen the recent BitDefender free???  3-4 screens with 3-4 buttons, that's it. 

28 minutes ago, MSE said:

have you seen the recent BitDefender free???  3-4 screens with 3-4 buttons, that's it. 

You get what you pay for as the saying goes. AVLab in Poland just completed a fairly extensive review of free antivirus software: https://avlab.pl/en/best-free-antiviruses-2018-recommended-avlab-home-users-and-small-business . Of note is the following excerpts:

Both the producer and the distributor of Bitdefender software for Poland do not hide that Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition is not a program on which users should rely in every situation. Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition as a lightweight tool provides only basic protection.

You have to remember that Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition is unable to cope with all threats. The program does not have such extensive functionalities as commercial Bitdefender antivirus, therefore it should be supplemented with at least Bitdefender Safepay secure browser for online banking. The distributor in Poland has provided us with information that Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition was created for users in South America, where it has a good chance of success.

Recommendations

In addition to enabling and disabling and excluding from scanning files or directories, it is not possible to interfere in the Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition protection settings. Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition provides only basic protection, so the reader interested in extending protection to other attack vectors should try the commercial version of the test and read the detailed review and tests Bitdefender Total Security 2018 prepared by AVLab.

Edited by itman

1 hour ago, itman said:

You get what you pay for

BD free offers absolutely the same level of protection as BD paid, but without the associated bloatware, see the attachment.5a935c729efd0_BDfree.thumb.jpg.84a1b18dff4d91868439bccf2b98d657.jpg

Edited by MSE

Haven't we been here before?:blink: (just search this forum using the word "free")

https://www.welivesecurity.com/2017/08/03/whats-cost-free-lunch/

If you buy cheaply, you pay dearly....If you buy quality, you only cry once.

Edited by TomFace

4 hours ago, MSE said:

...every year.

Try shopping around. I've purchased a 12 month ESS license (now EIS) for as little as $16-$17 USD:).

When I find deals, I buy a few so I always have at least 2  unused licenses on hand.  If you wait till the day before you need it, it CAN be a bit costly

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Update: I just did a quick look and found a 1PC/2 Year license (key card only/no disc) for ESS for $24.99USD. $12.50USD/year is a good deal I'd say.

Edited by TomFace

• Administrators

navigating through 1000's customs setting seems to be extremely convoluted. For each and every setting you need at least 5-6 clicks and I was never able to do it right from first time.

If you have an idea how advanced setup should look like if not as a setup tree, feel free to tell.

certain menus will open "minimized" (firewall) , and you have to maximized and to manually resize all columns in order to make the info visible. 

In the internal version I have installed, the width of columns is preserved. If it doesn't work like that in the current v11, it should change in future builds.

even though I set up everything for "no cleaning", certain items were automatically moved to quarantine

Please provide a complete record from the Detected threats log.

downgraded it to "antivirus" and try to use a third party firewall, which will complain about "ESET firewall", even though is not present in antivirus version

ESET NOD32 Antivirus partially contains a firewall. However, it's responsible only for protocol filtering. Please provide a screen shot.

13 hours ago, TomFace said:

Haven't we been here before?:blink: (just search this forum using the word "free")

https://www.welivesecurity.com/2017/08/03/whats-cost-free-lunch/

If you buy cheaply, you pay dearly....If you buy quality, you only cry once.

Yes, it pays to buy quality.

If you know how to shop, you don't pay a lot.

ESET.JPG

4 hours ago, jadinolf said:

Yes, it pays to buy quality.

If you know how to shop, you don't pay a lot.

It took me all of 1 minute to find the deal of the century...as I only have 1 or 2 extra licenses, I think I'll buy the 2 year/1PC for $24.99.

At $1.04 USD/month I think I'm doing OK:P.

Edited by TomFace

4 minutes ago, TomFace said:

It took me all of 1 minute to find the deal of the century...as I only have 1 or 2 extra licenses, I think I'll buy the 2 year/1PC for $24.99.

I'll be 84 in a few months.

I think I'm done buying. :)

5 hours ago, Marcos said:

If you have an idea how advanced setup should look

I counted over 115 parameters which can be set up in ESET ; for some of them you click on left buttons, some other on right stars / arrows or checkmarks , some other on a "star" in right lower corner (Advanced setup) or a "tool symbol" in the same corner (More tools).

For a consumer product is way too much ; who will set up Threatsense parameters to "no cleaning" in one section and to "strictly cleaning" in another one?????  So why asking 5-6 times????

For me is OK, I can handle it , but think about an average consumer.

11 minutes ago, MSE said:

I counted over 115 parameters which can be set up in ESET ; for some of them you click on left buttons, some other on right stars / arrows or checkmarks , some other on a "star" in right lower corner (Advanced setup) or a "tool symbol" in the same corner (More tools).

For a consumer product is way too much ; who will set up Threatsense parameters to "no cleaning" in one section and to "strictly cleaning" in another one?????  So why asking 5-6 times????

For me is OK, I can handle it , but think about an average consumer.

That's why (as Marcos says) for the majority of users, the Default setting will provide very good protection.

If you need to change settings, It's not convoluted at all. The set-up tree is easy to follow. But if you're not sure, there always is the help link, user manual, the ESET Knowledgebase and this forum. In addition, the ESET support staff is always willing to help.

We all have our own way of setting things up. I am glad I have a choice. And as I said, Default is always a safe alternative for those who are less inclined to "mix it up".

Edited by TomFace

All these being said, I can confirm that indeed, the impact on PC performance is minimal (almost zero).

Thanks!

54 minutes ago, MSE said:

All these being said, I can confirm that indeed, the impact on PC performance is minimal (almost zero).

Thanks!

Yes ESET does not hog down on your PC performance. As far as default settings is concerned, that's the beauty of ESET's set-up tree. I use some default settings and fine tune (to my own taste) some other ones. Not all of us are PC gurus that know everything there is to know of PCs. 

On 26/02/2018 at 12:05 AM, itman said:

You get what you pay for as the saying goes. AVLab in Poland just completed a fairly extensive review of free antivirus software: https://avlab.pl/en/best-free-antiviruses-2018-recommended-avlab-home-users-and-small-business . Of note is the following excerpts:

I was using Bitdefender Total Security but I found it slowed down my PC quite a bit and sometimes it would just block things without even telling me it was doing it (e.g., when I tried to connect my Canon Powershot camera to my PC wirelessly to download photographs). The final straw was when I watched a video by a popular youtube reviewer. Here's a link if you want to see it and he does most of the popular antivirus products so it can be quite enlightening. ESET by the way, gets a good recommendation ("it did a great job"), which finally convinced me to buy a family pack licence. By the way, if you want to see one of his reviews which ends in quite a shockingly disasterous outcome (at least, it would have been under normal circumstances), just watch his review on Webroot. And to think I was even considering going with that. Phew, close shave.