Home Network Issues

What is a WAP? 

Also, I posted pictures of everything connected. 3 cables (TV, CCastUltra and PC), the rest on WIFI.

And, how can something be connected beyond the DHCP which is 192.168.0.3 to 192.168.0.103 without me knowing or it showing up in the connected devices list, arp cache or DHCP clients list in the router?

Edited by MasterTB

2 minutes ago, MasterTB said:

What is a WAP? 

Wireless Access Point. It is usually a small black box or can look like a small thick antenna with a large base.

Sorry, no such thing here, and the router itself doesn't have antennas, just a plain rectangular black box with some lights.

That's the router, with my TV in front, nothing else.

Captura.PNG

Captura2.PNG

One small but important side note, leaving for hollidays tonight, will be back March 5, my nephew is in charge of the house (my GOD) will try to stay in touch, bringing the notebook with me, but will not be able to troubleshoot if needed.

Hopefully this issue can be resolved without me moving on from eset, really enjoy this software and all the info it provides while keeping things clean.

If I don't reply promptly be patient, I'm on the beach.

OK. Have a nice vacation.

I will say this. Whether the router is coax or fiber based, its output connections are Ethernet based. Unless your TV is located right by your router so that it can be directly connected to an Ethernet set top box, you will need some type of WAP to send wireless signals to other set top boxes located within your dwelling.

I am not that familiar with cable based routers/modems. However, most cable provider boxes in the U.S. are modems only. You have to provide your own router. It appears you have an integrated unit that includes both a modem and the router. This leads me to suspect that the modem portion within the integrated unit is 192.168.0.254. In other words, you have two separate devices housed in one case.

I would call your cable provided tech support and ask them about this in reference to IP address 192.168.0.254.

NO, no, no, no.

The cable comes in the house to a splitter, then one to the Router, one to each box, all provided by the cable operator, things are different here, that's why I said no WAP.

The router is a Cablemodem with Wifi and 4 lan ports, that's about all it does, also, one USB but never used it, don't trust it.

The TV gets an HDMI from one TV box for image and audio and one lan cable from the router for internet and "smart" things.

Yes, yes, yes.

You have a WAP. Without it, none of your wireless devices would be able to connect to the router. I believe it is housed internally within the cable router box itself. This is unusual in that telecoms usually provide a separate box for ease of upgrading. In your case, it is a circuit board or a chip such as the network adapter built into a PC motherboard. And it is a separate device with its own MAC identifier. Again, contact your cable provider for details on what IP address 192.168.0.254. My money says its the WAP.

Edited by itman

• Administrators

As for the blocked communication from the notebook, engineers confirmed that none was blocked.

The only blocked packet in the log was the following one, probably because of the zero length:
63608    8849.616791    2018-02-23 15:37:17,302570    192.168.0.10    192.168.0.14    UDP    42    5355 → 50416 Len=0    BLOCK

Please try the following:
- Disconnect the notebook from your network
- Disable firewall on the notebook
- Enable advanced firewall logging on the computer
- Restart the computer
- Connect the notebook to the network and reproduce the issue by attempting to connect to the computer
- Disable logging
- Collect logs with ELC.

In regards to SMART TV vulnerabilities, here's one "hot off the press":

AV-Comparatives & sigma star gmbh discovers security flaws in firmware used by 30+ popular TV brands, including Medion.

https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/avc_sigma_medion_201802.pdf

Thanks for all the time you guys put into this. I will test the notebook when I get home on Sunday and post back. 

Great news on the launch of Eset for smart TVs, sadly my LG runs WebOS, so...

I've been using the notebook here at the hotel and yesterday I run into some Network related issues, seems the windows firewall has been acting up, hope that's it, will install Eset on it and try.

Oh, and @itman, I asked the cable guys about the 192.168.0.254 ghost, they don't have a clue. Sorry. Still a mistery.

2 hours ago, MasterTB said:

Oh, and @itman, I asked the cable guys about the 192.168.0.254 ghost, they don't have a clue.

Another possibility is this is the cable set top box your TV is connected to as I initially assumed. If you look at the screen shot you posted in regards to it, the URL shown is associated with your cable provider. It does not show up in your router's DHCP list because the device itself has no Internet connectivity.

As far as telecom tech support capability in things like this, their technical knowledge in many cases leaves a lot to be desired. A lot of the support is off-shored to the cheapest provider they can find. 

Be patient. I had such problem. Check your router settings, connection of the network cable also – it may possibly be conducted incorrectly. Here is a guide http 192.168.l.l . Follow the instructions below. 

List of the router models and their IP addresses:

Airties: 192.168.2.1.
Certain models of Huawei: 192.168.3.1.
Starlan: 10.10.10.1, also 10.10.10.10.
Upvel и TrendNet: 192.168.10.1.
TTNet: 192.168.2.1. 

Edited by SeasonPast

On 1/3/2018 at 7:34 AM, SeasonPast said:

Be patient. I had such problem. Check your router settings, connection of the network cable also – it may possibly be conducted incorrectly. Here is a guide http 192.168.l.l . Follow the

Thanks, but that's not the issue, it's not a new network, everything was working before Eset came into play. 

I will figure it out, but it's not the router or it's configuration. It's between the PC with Eset and the one without it (which will soon have Eset too, btw)

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/2/2018 at 12:14 PM, itman said:

Another possibility is this is the cable set top box your TV is connected to as I initially assumed. If you look at the screen shot you posted in regards to it, the URL shown is associated with your cable provider. It does not show up in your router's DHCP list because the device itself has no Internet connectivity.

As far as telecom tech support capability in things like this, their technical knowledge in many cases leaves a lot to be desired. A lot of the support is off-shored to the cheapest provider they can find. 

Well, well, well. I guess I owe you a beer. It's not one of the set top boxes, it is the router itself. Yesterday, I saw a Cisco DPC  #something Docsis Gateway being identified by Eset on the Home Network, same IP, same MAC as our "ghost 192.168.0.254" device.

As it turns out, the router uses this IP/MAC combination for things connected to it's 4 ethernet ports and 192.168.0.1/#someMAC for the WiFi networks (2.4 and 5.8 ghz) so, you where right after all.

As for the Home Network Problems, I guess it's Windows. I had a Lan Party the other day at some friends house, different network, 6 PC's connected to a Switch, I could see all of them on windows and on Eset Network Scanner, none of them could see my PC. No matter what I did.

Will reinstall at some point, Creators Update over all other Updates I've had since the first win10 image might have had something to do with all this (and f*#%&ing Norton too, maybe)

Point is, I ended up buying a Multi Device Licence (6 slots), back on eset since 2.01#something when I left because of the problems I was having, feels good.

Edited by MasterTB