Jump to content

Gave incorrect network access to app - how to change?


wisniak
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I installed a new app on my Windows 10 desktop.

Upon 1st run NOD32 asked which network access should it be given (public/private network) and I mistakenly clicked on "public".

I uninstalled and reinstalled but was not asked again about this.

How can I change it to "private" (home network)?

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
2 minutes ago, wisniak said:

I  have ESET NOD32 antivirus.

That explains it. You expect to have firewall settings in ESET NOD32 Antivirus which doesn't contain the firewall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even do, I did get that screen and I now need to change the setting, otherwise my PC might be at risk.

As I writexabive, I uninstalled and reinstalled the relevant app bit was not asked again about the setting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Please note that you have ESET NOD32 Antivirus installed. It's a product which doesn't have the firewall so obviously you cannot find firewall settings there. You can either install ESET Internet Security which contains the firewall provided you have an EIS license purchased, or keep ESET NOD32 Antivirus where you don't configure network options.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, wisniak said:

Even do, I did get that screen and I now need to change the setting, otherwise my PC might be at risk.

Forgive me for asking a silly question, but how would one be at increased risk by choosing "public" network? If I have one desk top PC, do not need to share files/printers, have no need for network discovery and run EIS with firewall in automatic mode, what's the risk? 

Even Microsoft says

"There are four network locations:

  • Choose Home network for home networks or when you know and trust the people and devices on the network. Computers on a home network can belong to a homegroup. Network discovery is turned on for home networks, which allows you to see other computers and devices on the network and allows other network users to see your computer. For more information, see What is network discovery?

  • Choose Work network for small office or other workplace networks. Network discovery, which allows you to see other computers and devices on a network and allows other network users to see your computer, is on by default, but you can't create or join a homegroup. For more information, see What is network discovery?

  • Choose Public network for networks in public places (such as coffee shops or airports). This location is designed to keep your computer from being visible to other computers around you and to help protect your computer from any malicious software from the Internet. HomeGroup is not available on public networks, and network discovery is turned off. You should also choose this option if you're connected directly to the Internet without using a router, or if you have a mobile broadband connection.

  • The Domain network location is used for domain networks such as those at enterprise workplaces. This type of network location is controlled by your network administrator and can't be selected or changed.

Note

  • If you know you won’t need to share files or printers, the safest choice is public network."

Edited by TomFace
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a home network to which there are 3 additional PCs attached as well as all my family members' mobile devices, which are constantly connected to the Web.

The relevant device was my external backup disk which is connected directly to my own PC. 

I do no want it to be available to anyone else.

I read the "Choose Public network for networks in public places (such as coffee shops or airports)." part and this prompted me to change the settimg.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, wisniak said:

I have a home network to which there are 3 additional PCs attached as well as all my family members' mobile devices, which are constantly connected to the Web.

The relevant device was my external backup disk which is connected directly to my own PC. 

I do no want it to be available to anyone else.

I read the "Choose Public network for networks in public places (such as coffee shops or airports)." part and this prompted me to change the settimg.

Yes, I understand your situation having multiple devices and the need for a "home" network.

Over the years, I have always heard the advice to use "home" network. Given the case scenario I described, my question is what risk would be incurred by using "public"?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a rule, the public network setting is the most secure firewall setting. And its applicable whether one is using the default Windows firewall or a third party solution. For example when using the public firewall profile, all network file sharing to the device is automatically disabled.

Edited by itman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't know... And given the purpose and importance of the device, I preferred not to take the chance.
This concern was further enhanced by Microsoft's long history of security issues...
So I thought better safe than sorry.
I'll reconsider, given what you guys have written.
I found where to make these changes in WIN10.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, itman said:

As a rule, the public network setting is the most secure firewall setting. And its applicable whether one is using the default Windows firewall or a third party solution. For example when using the public firewall profile, all network file sharing to the device is automatically disabled.

Thanks itman for confirming what I always suspected.

12 minutes ago, wisniak said:

Don't know... And given the purpose and importance of the device, I preferred not to take the chance.
This concern was further enhanced by Microsoft's long history of security issues...
So I thought better safe than sorry.
I'll reconsider, given what you guys have written.
I found where to make these changes in WIN10.

 

wisniak, everyone's situation is different. Depending on your set-up and devices being used, you need to follow/use what works best for your situation. What works best for one may not work best for you.  

Edited by TomFace
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...