No IMAPS or POP3S scanning ESET for Mac??

bld

Hi Bollicoogee,

ESET should work with IMAP. So also Outlook with IMAP. The only thing is that ESET won't handle a secure IMAP-connection . I don't know if Outlook requires a secure connection? An IMAP server typically listens on port number 143. IMAP over SSL (IMAPS) is assigned the port number 993. So ESET's e-mail settings shouldn't include port 993. Check Outlook's specs whether IMAP requires an SSL-connection.

Even if downloading e-mail securely isn't scanned by ESET, the e-mail will be scanned in most cases when it is written to the hard disk. This depends on the mailbox-format used by Outlook. If single e-mails are stored as individual files, ESET will most likely be able to scan such a file. If the mailbox consists of multiple e-mails in one single file, ESET will probably not scan an additional e-mail you received.

Hope this answers your question or steers you in the right direction?

Tese

• 2 weeks later...

With an increase in malware for the Mac, it's nice to have a little piece of mind. Eset runs quietly in the background and does not perturb performance. I have it on my Mac Mini and, unless I look up at the top icon on my display, I hardly know it's there... As with most anti-virus software, the signature updates are automatic. Also have the PC version on my wife's machine. It's a good product overall.

• 4 months later...

Which other product on the market scans Outlook for Mac 2016 effectively? I am on trial basis for ESET CSP for Mac with about 25 days remaining..

I also cannot use ESET with IMAP and gmail now requires SSL on port 993.  With ESET running the OS X mail app cannot authenticate username and password.  I tried at least to disable email scanning but even this does not help.  Also tried deleting and reinstating the mail account.  

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Other than this, I absolutely love using ESET on the Mac. I don't know why they haven't done a 64-bit app though.. maybe because they don't need it - since it is already so light? But 64-bit would help while scanning, right?

• 2 weeks later...

SSL Mail scanning is a very important feature and i was super disappointed to know when i bought the license for Cyber Securirty Pro for Mac that ESET doesn't scan mail which use SSL (99% of the customers who care about the security use their mails over SSL).

Are you going to add this feature for Mac? 

• 2 months later...

Hello guys,

I was close to buy Eset Cyber Security, because of the good reviews.

But I was sceptical because there was never a Mail alert. I also use IMAP port 993 (SSL)

Another free product is working very well. It starts with an A and ends with a t.

The product has also very good results on Security Spread.

As soon as ESET is able to scan SSL-Ports, I will buy it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Most Valued Members

At the moment, Cyber Security & Cyber Security Pro should still immediately scan your email and attachments once downloaded by your email client (Mail.app, Outlook, etc.) due to real-time protection and protect you that way.

Unfortunately mailboxes are not scanned in CS and CSP in real-time protection. Furthermore in e-mail protection it is advised against having your mailboxes scanned even if CS could scan IMAPS or POPS. So if your email client uses mailboxes instead of separate files for each individual email and you are using IMAPS or POPS, your email is still not scanned! Which takes us back to square one: 'No IMAPS or POP3S scanning ESET for Mac??'

Unless somebody has an other solution/workaround?

• Most Valued Members

Malicious attachments once saved/run should allow ESET to scan them upon Real-Time Protection, and any phishing/malicious links once open should be scanned via Web Protection. So although the email itself may not be scanned, other components should continue to protect you if the user mistakenly interacts with it.

There may be no other solution or workaround unless ESET implements SSL support which would not only provide IMAPS/POP3S scanning, but support for HTTPS in Web Protection/Parental Control/etc. which is also highly desired. If this is still something you definitely require for whatever reason, it may be necessary to use a different security solution that provides this feature, like Avast.

• Most Valued Members

Unfortunately mailboxes are not scanned in CS and CSP in real-time protection. [...] So if your email client uses mailboxes instead of separate files for each individual email and you are using IMAPS or POPS, your email is still not scanned!

Just checked with Mail.app and noticed real-time protection scans any email received/sent and any that I click on, even though they are in mailboxes. What email client are you referring to?

post-3006-0-31565400-1469307307_thumb.png

Edited by planet

I am using Thunderbird 45.2.0 for Mac. I'll try to replicate your ESET protection summary check above...

• 5 months later...

So after 3 years since the addition of the feature request for scanning of HTTPs, POPs and IMAPs, Cyber Security / Pro still does not have it. Look at all the other Security suites for Mac and the features they support compared to ESET Cyber Security / Pro. I don't even expect to see this feature being implemented any time in the future.

ESET just drop this product all together if you feel it does not deserve what the Windows version gets every year.

The only reason I bought the Multi-Device subscription was that I expected the Mac version to be on par with the Windows version (which is awesome by the way) in most of the features and GUI, which obviously it is not.

Requirement has simply been neglected by ESET for over three years now. It's not even mentioned as 'being investigated/working on it'. Alternative solution through real-time scanning is not sufficient/no solution (besides the fact that I still cannot see whether my incoming mails were scanned real-time). I understand that MacOS <> Windows, but it is based on BSD (Berkeley Unix). So how hard can it be?

Hi,

I don't know how difficult it is to implement, but I am pretty sure that ESET does not care about the OSX version of their AV. It exists just so that they can say that they have a Mac version as well. Cyber security has been on version 6 for I don't know how long and will be there for I dont know how long. No new features will be added to it as far as I can tell looking at the track record of Cyber Security Pro.

When was the last time any one from ESET commented on the ongoing or future plans/development of cyber security/pro. Cyber Security is like a shadow/afterthought of Smart Security/Internet security.