No IMAPS or POP3S scanning ESET for Mac??

bld

Unlike the NOD32 for Windows settings, I only see 'Enable IMAP protocol checking' and 'Enable POP3 protocol checking' in the Email Protection Setup. There is nothing for IMAPS or POP3S as there is under NOD32 for Windows.

I have opened a case with ESET tech support to get a definitive answer if the feature is justing missing from the Mac product or the UI just masks it. There are also no settings for Email Client integration. Tech support also told me ESET only integrates with Outlook for the Mac, not Apple Mail, which is by far the most commonly used mail application under MacOS X.

If these features are missing, I don't know how ESET can call this a serious product for the Mac. No email client configuration I've seen in years is going to connect via unencrypted IMAP/POP3/SMTP to its mail servers.

Edited by bld

I turned on the options to always append tag messages to subjects and footers of scanned email, and added the IMAPS port 993 to the IMAP oirt list one the chance that would work.  Eset didn't see or do anything with IMAPS email.

So this feature is definitely missing from the MacOS X version of Eset -- and as far as I'm concerned means that the Email Scanning feature of Eset under MacOS X is for the most part never actually seeing any email in real world deployments. This renders a huge portion of the product moot.

Edited by bld

And the same is true for HTTPS scans for web browsing. Eset for MacOS just doesn't handle SSL over HTTP, POP3 or IMAP.

Sorry, Eset, but this is just BROKEN and USELESS. Can't believe no reviewers called this out.

• Administrators

Thank you for your comments, this was probably the very first request for implementing SSL scanning that we've received. I've passed your request on to the product managers for consideration.

I find it mind-boggling that mine would be the first request. Most mail servers these days require external connections through SSL.

Why would a feature that you support in NOD32 for Windows have just been blithely dropped in the Mac version?

When Eset Cyber Security (Pro) supports HTTPS/POP3S/IMAPS scanning and smooth integration with the default mail application under MacOS X, Apple Mail, then I will consider it again.

Edited by bld

• 2 months later...

Weird that NOD32 for Windows does offer SSL e-mail scanning, while the Mac version doesn't. It's an absolute necessity, with the current lack of privacy protection going on.

Furthermore scanning mailboxes is discouraged, because they might become corrupted.

So if the majority of my e-mails is not scanned at all, how would this protect me from potential harm? Security is as safe as it's weakest link.

• 1 month later...

strange thing that ESET after almost 4 months after request do nothing about it. People should try product before buying it so than they wouldn't regret. I've just thought that it has same options as it had on Windows. I was wrong. ESET Cybersecurity Pro for Mac is unfinished product or just try to make something because everyone else do that. It is minus on your reputation, and I alweys consider you as great company. Now i have change my mind.

• Administrators

Products for Windows and Mac are completely different. SSL scanning was first implemented in NOD32 v4 as far as I remember which doesn't mean that all older versions were released unfinished. In fact, they were finished in terms of the set of features that was possible to implement at the given time. To be honest, SSL scanning doesn't belong among beloved features that a lot of people enable as it may cause a lot of side issues with applications, mostly with those that don't accept the ESET root certificate as CA which is not a problem of ESET.

As for implementing SSL scanning into ESET CyberSecurity, it was added to the wish list as mentioned above. Developing features like this takes time and they are usually added in one of the next major builds (v5, v6, etc). Needless to say that some advanced features may even take years to analyze and implement and even testing itself takes weeks or even months it's nothing surprising that this feature is not yet available. If SSL scanning was one of the main features why you purchased ESET CyberSecurity, I assume it shouldn't be a problem for a distributor to credit you the price for the remaining time of your license.

Marcos,

I'm glad to see that other users are chiming in -- I do hope that ESET Product Management will prioritize this highly. The lack of it was enough to make me demand a refund -- I was completely shocked that ESET Mac did not have it. I think your post deflects too much -- ESET claims that it scans outgoing/incoming email. In practical terms, unless it supports SSL, it cannot possibly be living up to this with the vast majority of SMTP/IMAP/POP transactions (and this will only become more so as another poster already noted). In my opinion and apparently others', this is a major feature hole and frankly bordering on false advertising. I would not be surprised to find that many of your users think they have email scanning when in fact they do not. At a bare minimum, ESET should call out this issue boldly in the Mac product marketing materials.

As someone familiar with the networks stacks between Windows and MacOS X, I can tell you that your excuse on the development time is just that, an excuse. Since you have already incorporated SSL into your Windows products, the integration into your Mac line should be, if the code is factored well, quite straight-forward. It is true that Windows and MacOS X have cosmetic differences between their APIs for accessing SSL, but functionally they are largely equivalent. And I would presume that your QA testsuites, both manual and automated, should also translate between Windows and Mac with some but not substantial effort. Given that this is a major feature gone missing from the product, I would hope the remedy is imminent. But given your deflection, I am not too hopeful.

Edited by bld

• 5 weeks later...

Can I ask if this feature has been added?

I did a manual scan which found 37 virus laden attachments in email (nothing else) …. but why aren't these emails and/or attachments removed automatically before they get to the mailbox?

Is there going to be an automatic scan feature released soon? If not, is there an alternative product?

• 1 month later...

bld - I hope you've found a product that actually does what it should, scan email properly, if so, can you direct me to such? 

I was almost going to click purchase for ESET for my family Mac's (3 of them), but I will no longer do this now, as I can just keep using Sophos (since it doesn't scan Apple mail either) and it's free. 

It's very sad that the "user" has to "request" such items, and the true cold fact, is they WON'T request this "feature" just like most users wouldn't know to request it in the Windows world either, but it's there for them anyway (guess they somehow got requests). The avg daily computer user only knows, "I need AV" and they have come to expect that it's in the product advertising, as it's selling point to freedom of feeling protected. It is what it is. The other thing, is it's the only one pointed to in the Apple Store!!! I would hope they know it too.

The two statements in the documentation make it seem like we'll be ok by just adding the IMAPS protocol. "ESET Cyber Security provides protection for this protocol, regardless of the email client used." and "but other communication ports can be added if necessary"

However, this is an excellent opportunity to educate our fellow Mac users. Unfortunately, I've combed through several AV products, and none of them yet, have offered it, I guess it's due to the same reasoning? I would hope not, and that it's just that users are to new to Mac dev to do it right (or not at all), but it would be nice for the company to be upfront about it. To explain what it actually means to the customer. I'm lucky, I do know, but almost got caught with the email protection claim. :)

Let's hope ESET puts this in the next release, maybe 7.x? 

ESET, please, please give us a proper "Apple mail" scanner, I really would like to give you my money! :)

To be fair, if this is wrong, and you truly do support Apple mail properly, please reply and all will be well (in my eyes).

No, I have found no viable alternative. And I think ESET's claims for email-scanning under MacOS X border on flat out fraudulent advertising.

bld,

Well, I'm trying to be semi-nice here, don't want to get banned, but.....

Anyway, supposedly McAfee supports Apple Mail (maybe a few others, but not in the top 5 ratings), but since ESET has a better scan rating in that top 5, hopefully these type of comments will make their company step up to the plate and be the better AV company that not only crushes a lot of the competition, but actually fully supports what people use 98% of the time...Apple Mail and it's default settings (secure mail). 

However, we'll just have to see...if that day comes, I think they will have the opportunity to launch a full blown advertising campaign that can be matched by very little, and I know for sure, I will recommend them as the go to. I just can't do that for now though.

Thanks for the reply.

Edited by dbcooper

Also, under the Mac Cyber pro, it would seem a user has started this thread and pinned it, which carries our complaints and others for feature requests. So, we'll see how it goes? Although, no forum admins have said anything, but maybe just maybe it will make it in?

https://forum.eset.com/topic/2286-ideas-feedback-for-cyber-security-and-pro/

• Most Valued Members

a user has started this thread and pinned it [..] no forum admins have said anything, but maybe just maybe it will make it in?

I didn't pin it, as I'm just a user. Also I'm not sure if ESET listened or will do anything about what has been said, I do hope so but I'm not sure.

In terms of IMAPS or POPS, I was originally disappointed with not having such a feature, however I am hopeful that it will be implemented in the next version (7).

"Unlike the NOD32 for Windows settings, I only see 'Enable IMAP protocol checking' and 'Enable POP3 protocol checking' in the Email Protection Setup. There is nothing for IMAPS or POP3S as there is under NOD32 for Windows."

Hello all.

How do you get to the advanced menu with those https and imaps options? I did get there ONE time but darn if I can get back to those advanced menu settings (not the preferences menu) where you can really drill down and configure Eset Security Pro for Mac v6.0.9.1. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by nolajo

@nolajo: As far as I know there is no more "advanced menu settings". IMAPS and POP3S are not available, hence this topic. You might be able to add HTTPS port 443 to the list of ports watched, but I'm not sure whether this will work.

@nolajo: As far as I know there is no more "advanced menu settings". IMAPS and POP3S are not available, hence this topic. You might be able to add HTTPS port 443 to the list of ports watched, but I'm not sure whether this will work.

Thanks for the quick reply.

That's the crazy part...I did see this advanced menu settings earlier today and actually made some changes. Now, I am unable to recreate what I did to get to that menu so I guess it's a glitch or something in the program but I most definitely was at that menu and made some changes earlier this morning. Again, thank you for responding.

• 2 months later...

I found that setting with preferences from the tray icon and select email protection.

Another voice to the please enable some kind of mail scanning/integration with the default OSX client, got the trial software and it's nice but I need mail scanning  ;)

• Most Valued Members

You're correct, at the moment there is no IMAPS or POP3S protection available for Cyber Security (and Pro).

Unfortunately adding the ports to the lists do not work.

This would be one of the main features that I personally would love to be added to Cyber Security (and Pro), along with HTTPS scanning (which will improve both Web Protection & Parental Controls).

I would encourage users to post any other ideas and feedback regarding Cyber Security (and Pro) in this pinned topic so we can create a similar process like the one available in the Smart Security forum section.

• 1 year later...

For crying out loud, is Eset for Mac *still* not even remotely close to parity with the Windows product? No IMAPS/POP3S/HTTPS scanning yet? Ridiculous! Come on Eset -- the product is seriously crippled without that.

For crying out loud, is Eset for Mac *still* not even remotely close to parity with the Windows product? No IMAPS/POP3S/HTTPS scanning yet? Ridiculous! Come on Eset -- the product is seriously crippled without that.

Yes, the Mac product is several years behind the windows product in terms of both function and usability

Hi Email security gurus,

Can someone explain to a newbie, can I still use ESET with Microsoft Outlook?

What steps do I need to take? I presently have yellow lights across all email accounts and I'm not sure if this is because of ESET's lack of IMAP support for MAC?

Many thanks for your assistance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Email security gurus,

Can someone explain to a newbie, can I still use ESET with Microsoft Outlook?

What steps do I need to take? I presently have yellow lights across all email accounts and I'm not sure if this is because of ESET's lack of IMAP support for MAC?

Many thanks for your assistance.

Still awaiting an answer.

Edited by bollicoogee