Cant scan C drive

Tipet

When I try to scan my drive c it says 0 files scanned! SCAN COMPLETE!

I tried scanning in safemode and the log file said can't scan - password protected . I don't use anything for password protecting my files. I was scanning for a malware that caused my NET framework to have "an unexpected occurrence".

What can I do?

(I dont want to format my drive unless there is no other option)

Edited by Tipet
Typos!

59 minutes ago, Marcos said:

What happens if you scan drive c with ecls.exe, ie. if you run "ecls.exe c:" in the ESET install folder?

Same as scanning in safemode.

445208546_122579.jpg

438317624_292374.jpg

445401195_114099.jpg

Edited by Tipet

Open your Eset Scan logs and select the scan log associated with the above screen shots. Scroll down to the bottom of the log and look for the following:

Log
Number of scanned objects: 173026

If the value is non-zero as shown above, Eset successfully scanned your C: drive. All the log entries details you have posted are related to the OS locking the files preventing them from being scanned. These can be minimized by using the Advanced Scan option and selecting "Scan as Administrator."

Edited by itman

• Administrators

When I try to scan my drive c it says 0 files scanned! SCAN COMPLETE!

Does that mean that any scan you run from gui (e.g. smart scan) ends immediately with 0 files scanned but ecls.exe scans files on drive c: alright?

1 hour ago, itman said:

Open your Eset Scan logs and select the scan log associated with the above screen shots. Scroll down to the bottom of the log and look for the following:

If the value is non-zero as shown above, Eset successfully scanned your C: drive. All the log entries details you have posted are related to the OS locking the files preventing them from being scanned. These can be minimized by using the Advanced Scan option and selecting "Scan as Administrator."

I uploaded a screen shot of my logs... it scans other drives but not C. I tried custom scan then "scan as Administrator", same thing happened. 1 file scanned. No error or anything

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Does that mean that any scan you run from gui (e.g. smart scan) ends immediately with 0 files scanned but ecls.exe scans files on drive c: alright?

That's right. Ecls.exe tries but it can't scan anything because of "unable to open file"!.

P.S:I used windows defender to scan C: and it worked. Scanned every file.438340739_208323.jpg.00b211368640010bc6fe09eb1f8253ec.jpg438340739_208323.jpg.00b211368640010bc6fe09eb1f8253ec.jpg

Edited by Tipet

• Administrators

That's right. Ecls.exe tries but it can't scan anything because of "unable to open file"!.

Nope, ecls appears to scan files alright, however, by default it reports only malicious files and errors (which are normal since quite many files are open exclusively by the operating system). At the end of a scan with ecls you should see a relatively big number of scanned files in the final report.

As for the issue with scanning from gui, what version of the product do you have installed? If possible, please generate a Procmon log; start logging prior to running a scan and stop logging after the scan completes with 0 scanned files. When done, save the log and compress it. Also collect logs with ELC (make sure to select also ESET Computer scan logs). Then upload both archives to a safe location (e.g. Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.) and drop me a private message with download links.

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, Marcos said:

Nope, ecls appears to scan files alright, however, by default it reports only malicious files and errors (which are normal since quite many files are open exclusively by the operating system). At the end of a scan with ecls you should see a relatively big number of scanned files in the final report.

As for the issue with scanning from gui, what version of the product do you have installed? If possible, please generate a Procmon log; start logging prior to running a scan and stop logging after the scan completes with 0 scanned files. When done, save the log and compress it. Also collect logs with ELC (make sure to select also ESET Computer scan logs). Then upload both archives to a safe location (e.g. Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.) and drop me a private message with download links.

This sounds similar to a bug myself and another user seemed to come across. I had to reinstall eset to fix this

5 hours ago, Marcos said:

I sent you the logs.
Thanks.

• Administrators

Yeah, the date 17/11/1396 is really weird. One thing that could cause no files to be scanned are exclusions; maybe the OP had the whole c: drive accidentally excluded from scanning. Also the fact that the issue was gone after a clean install would explain that.

9 hours ago, itman said:

Also one thing else I noticed. The date appears "hosed" in the scan log files.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Yeah, the date 17/11/1396 is really weird. One thing that could cause no files to be scanned are exclusions; maybe the OP had the whole c: drive accidentally excluded from scanning. Also the fact that the issue was gone after a clean install would explain that.

Actually the date is in hijri shamsi (Iran official calendar) And is accurate. 

I try doing a clean install later. Thank you for your help:)