Policy Flags and User Edit Permissions

Last week, I had the ability to modify the Trusted zones from the client workstation. Today I cannot. It's locked. I have no explanation about the change in behavior.

I have a SOHO environment, and I'm the only administrator.  I'm on the latest ERA  linux install from months ago, 6.5.417.0. The client workstation in question was updated to the latest EP many weeks ago, 6.6.2072.0.  The 2nd revision, 6.6.2072.2, didn't make a difference.

Looking deeper, I revisted the related policy in ERA, and made the observation that in order to unlock the Zones policy setting, the policy setting must be ignored. Both ERA and the docs stipulate the  Setting won't be set by this policy

Is it not possible to configure a policy setting in ERA that will also permit the user to edit the setting?  If so, then it's not clear in the documentation.

• Administrators

A policy overrides any local settings and locks them. To temporarily override it locally, you must enable and use override mode.

Where in the documentation did you read that policies don't work this way? It's the natural purpose of policies to enforce configuration by administrators.

17 hours ago, Marcos said:

Where in the documentation did you read that policies don't work this way?

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Here are the hints shown in ERA. My goal is to keep the Replace setting, but also permit a workstation to edit the Zones locally on occasion.  Notice that only the first mode (hollow circle) indicates editable (unlocked).

Do you have a link that shows how to enable and use override mode  with the Replace setting active?

eset-policy-balloons.png.a2f8c24ad17117b10e9f5b706198c044.png

• ESET Moderators

I think a combination of these two articles, the first shows override mode and the second has an example for applying that to a policy:

Enable Override mode in ESET Remote Administrator 6.5

http://help.eset.com/era_admin/65/en-US/admin_pol_override.htm

• ESET Staff

The use case you are trying to achieve will be possible in the next version 7, where you will be able to configure a "local list", and "policy list" and merge them together, Local list will be editable by the user (with proper access rights - admin rights / password to settings), and the policy list will be set by the policy. Those will be merged on the endpoint level. 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, bvj said:

Looking forward to v7, @MichalJ.  Is there a page dedicated to info about upcoming releases, or a roadmap?

The availability of ESMC (ERA v7) will be announced here as well as via other standard channels.

Just for illustration, merging lists will look like as follows:

image.png