Slowing SSD with protection on.

When running benchmarks on my 960 pro with internet security 11.0.159.5 enabled the performance is drastically reduced?.

Paused protection = 2,224Mb/s read  and 1,970 write.
Enabled protection = 598Mb/s read and  1,122 write.

I searched the forum for others with this issue and found a post from 2016 that was closed, people also reporting this loss of speed using SSD with Eset. In the post you hint at it being only the benchmarker being to fault. can someone tell me if this is true.

Samsung magician latest version.

thanks for your time in advance.

Can No-one help? At this rate I'll Just change the software, I've tried everything I can and still with realtime protection off my ssd m.2 960pro performs as it should, with the realtime protection on its drasitcally slower, it;s as simple as pausing the protection and boom the ssd works fine?,  anyone?.

I have two Samsung 960 PRO 2TB SSDs in RAID 0

Here are my tests

With the AV Enabled:

AV Enabled.png

With the AV Disabled

AV Disabled.png

Yes there is a difference but it's very small not like how bad as you mentioned.

Edited by Phoenix

• Most Valued Members

@ItsKrom , there are lots of different things that could affect the outcomes of your benchmarks . Are you running any OTHER security product alongside your Eset product, there are plenty of products on the market that can cause issues like this.

A bit Like @Phoenix benchmarks above , my results are even less negligible.

Left side is with protection on, right side is with it off ................ Not even noticeable

ssd.thumb.jpg.01676edf5205b0113ab56c15927edd31.jpg

• Most Valued Members
On 02/02/2018 at 6:01 PM, ItsKrom said:

When running benchmarks on my 960 pro with internet security 11.0.159.5 enabled the performance is drastically reduced?.

Paused protection = 2,224Mb/s read  and 1,970 write.
Enabled protection = 598Mb/s read and  1,122 write.

I searched the forum for others with this issue and found a post from 2016 that was closed, people also reporting this loss of speed using SSD with Eset. In the post you hint at it being only the benchmarker being to fault. can someone tell me if this is true.

Samsung magician latest version.

thanks for your time in advance.

Best thing might be to open a support ticket. They will probably need logs to. As others have mentioned are you running any other security products alongside eset?

• ESET Moderators

Hello guys,

if I remember correctly we already had some "issues" with the disk benchmark tools.

Synthetic tests usually use non-cached reads and in real life you use cached reads, mixing those type of requests might lead to poor results

See for example https://forum.eset.com/topic/7072-nod32-90318-slows-down-samsung-pro950-per-magician-benchmark/?do=findComment&comment=39538

So to sum it up you might see a poor synthetic results data, but real life usage experience should not be affected.

Regards, P.R.

• Administrators

That's correct. We have a fix on a to-do list, in particular to make a specific operation perform differently which will affect Samsung Magician and maybe other benchmark test with virtually no influence on real-life usage.