No icon in system tray + failed module update

Samoréen

Hi,

Since the upgrade to version 11, the ESET tray icon no longer appears in the system tray area unless I launch egui.exe manually. I didn't change any setting and there's no option for this anyway in the user interface section (unless I missed something).

Also, ESET usually tries to update modules upon system startup. Since the upgrade to version 11, this early module update fails ("Update module - Failed to copy file" - but the filename is not mentioned). But if I update manually, there's no problem. After that, auto update works as expected until the next reboot.

UpdateFailed.JPG

Edited by Samoréen

15 minutes ago, Samoréen said:

Hi,

Since the upgrade to version 11, the ESET tray icon no longer appears in the system tray area unless I launch egui.exe manually. I didn't change any setting and there's no option for this anyway in the user interface section (unless I missed something).

Strangely enough, only ecmds.exe appears in the Startup tab of the Task Manager.

When I look for egui.exe in the Details tab of Task Manager, the Status column says : "suspended". The ESET service is running.

Putting a shortcut to egui.exe in the Startup folder of the Start menu doesn't help.

I guess that the two problems reported above are related. Something must be wrong with the service or Egui startup.

Doing a Repair doesn't help either.

I ran the following command :

reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ /t REG_SZ /v ESETSysTray /d """"%ProgramFiles%\ESET\ESET Security\egui.exe""" /hide /waitservice" /f

which added the correct entry to the registry but this had no effect. egui.exe will only run and display the tray icon when I run it manually after the login operations are finished.

Edited by Samoréen

I uninstalled ESET NOD32, cleaned up everything, re-installed. This didn't help. Still no icon in the system tray.

The Run entry in the registry was re-created :
egui | "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\ecmds.exe" /launch /hide

The status of egui.exe in the Task Manager is no longer "Suspended". It's merely not there.

The only way to recover the tray icon is to launch Eset from the Start menu.

Edited by Samoréen

The "failed to copy file" issue seems to be fixed after the re-installation. But still no way to get the tray icon, beside launching egui.exe manually.

Continuing my solitary monologue...

I have disabled all Startup entries in the Startup tab of the Windows Task Manager except the Eset "egui" entry and re-started. This again didn't help. Still no tray icon.

So I guess it's not a conflict with another entry.

• Most Valued Members
33 minutes ago, Samoréen said:

Continuing my solitary monologue...

I have disabled all Startup entries in the Startup tab of the Windows Task Manager except the Eset "egui" entry and re-started. This again didn't help. Still no tray icon.

So I guess it's not a conflict with another entry.

Not sure what could be causing this. Might be best to open up a support ticket

26 minutes ago, galaxy said:

The problem I have already from version 11. The only solution is to make a startup via a Progarmm

Thanks for confirming.

There's a strange thing about this issue : I can launch egui.exe from the Eset | Eset security | Eset Security shortcut created during installation in the windows Start menu. However, if I copy this shortcut to the Startup folder of the Windows Start menu, egui.exe is not launched when opening a Windows session.

I have created a support ticket.

Edited by Samoréen

• Administrators

In order to troubleshoot this issue, we'll need:

- A Procmon boot log created as per the instructions at https://support.eset.com/kb6308/.
- ELC logs.

Upload both archives to a safe location (e.g. DropBox, OneDrive, etc.) and drop me a private message with download links.

Marcos,

Thanks. I have already prepared the ELC Logs but there's a problem with Process Monitor : since the issue is with an Eset "session" startup command that is not executed, the problem occurs before I'll be able to launch Process Monitor. So I'm wondering what you want to be recorded.

Edited by Samoréen

3 minutes ago, Samoréen said:

Marcos,

...since the issue is with an Eset "session" startup command that is not executed, the problem occurs before I'll be able to launch Process Monitor. So I'm wondering what you want to be recorded.

OK. I'll generate a boot log.

Hi Marcos,

FYI.
The egui.exe process is running. It's just the icon that doesn't show up. I didn't have any problem before installing version 11. When I click on the Eset Security icon in the Windows Start menu, this creates a second instance of egui.exe, this one showing the tray icon.

I also checked the Windows 10 taskbar settings : it is set to "always show all icons".

Edited by Samoréen

Don't ask me why, the Eset tray icon was back this morning when I booted my system. I didn't change anything to my settings (at least willingly) but yesterday, a brand new NVidia driver was installed. However, this had no immediate effect on the tray icon (and I don't see how the tray icon behavior could be related to the display driver - but I'm ready to learn).