Cannot install version 11

Samoréen

Hi,

[Running WIndows 10]

This morning, ESET NOD32 proposed to update itself to version 11. After acknowledgement, the download was successful and the update started... and stopped after a while : "Service ESET Service (ekrn) could not be stopped. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to stop services.". I'm logged in as an administrator but of course, I can't stop the ESET service manually, nor can I stop the ekrn process.

The Sysinspector report is attached as well as a screen capture. I tried with and without disabling protection and also after a reboot. No way.

UpdateFailed.JPG

SysInspectorLog.zip

Edited by Samoréen

I downloaded the live installer from the ESET site and tried to update this way. It failed with the same message. So I decided to uninstall but the Uninstall option was no longer available after the failed update.

I eventually fixed the problem by booting in Safe Mode, running the uninstall tool and running again the live installer. But there's obviously something to fix with the auto update process.

• ESET Moderators

Hello

In case the issue persists, can you please collect output from ESET Log collector tool (before the upgrade attempt) and dump from erkn.exe - ESET service (after the issue occurred)

If you have them just send me a private message with a reference to this topic to check.

Thank you, P.R.

As mentioned above, I fixed the problem by booting in Safe Mode, running the uninstall tool and running again the live installer. No problem since then.

Anyway, the error message I got is rather strange : the Eset Service should be able to stop itself. I don't have any permission to do that anyway, even when logged in as an administrator (ok, I could do that by tweaking a few things in the registry but it's not what a standard user is expecting).

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, Samoréen said:

Anyway, the error message I got is rather strange : the Eset Service should be able to stop itself. I don't have any permission to do that anyway, even when logged in as an administrator (ok, I could do that by tweaking a few things in the registry but it's not what a standard user is expecting).

Not if ekrn could not trust the new installer for some reason. It must have been a rare issue since I've never seen it reported from users for a very long time.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Not if ekrn could not trust the new installer for some reason.

Since ESET is itself downloading the new installer during an auto update, I guess it could check its CRC before launching it. So it could trust it.