Less intrusive set of settings?

xshadow

I recently decided to try this program out for 5 dollars. I'm getting quite bothered by how intrusive the proactive defense is, and am considering uninstalling it and switching back to Avast permanently. I want this program to basically play an advisory role about what I'm opening, not to just outright whisk things away automatically (or prevent me from executing this or that automatically without giving me a say despite me being on an admin account). I also want to be able to tell it to shut up and ignore some things when it gives me a popup about wanting to quarantine this or that... something along those lines.

How would I go about doing this?

I have run a computer without any antivirus at all for extended periods of time in the past without having problems. I just keep one around for those rare moments. I don't necessarily mind false positives... I really hate decisive action on false positives.

You can turn automatic cleaning off.

Hit F5 - then drill down through Antivirus, then, Real-time file protection, then click the Setup button and go to cleaning option. Reduce your cleaning level.

There is a exclusions list under F5 - Antivirus - Real-time file protection , Exclusions, and setup your apps to ignore.

Also you can disable detection of PUA and PUP programs which will also reduce the amount of pop ups you see. I do not advise this though.

ESET has the lowest false positive ratings then most other vendors. :P

I don't necessarily mind false positives... I really hate decisive action on false positives.

Don't take this wrong it's not meant as an offensive comment ;)

But how do you know that they are false positives?

You don't mention what it is that is being detected, and not what it is being detected as either, detection name?

I suspect all of them are PUP or PUA detections and they are not false positives. Unless you are infected of course.

Like Arakasi, I also think the best solution is to add exclusions for the items that are being detected and they shall no longer be detected by the product.

Edited by SweX

• Administrators

Without knowing what is detected and under what name, it's impossible to tell whether the detection is ok or not. Maybe it's a PUA which is detected and in such case it shouldn't be considered FP.

Well earlier I had it mess up an update to Visual Studio by flagging some temp files. That was kinda meh. Anyway, yeah I went and adjusted the settings on all the scanners to not just auto clean. IMO that should be a setting that I can see from the main menu instead of just being done for me. I just really don't like having things delete files without my permission. Hopefully those settings will help me out. Thanks.

I want to add that they haven't been deleted as in totally gone but put in the quarantine from wich you can restore them if you like. Afaik.

Glad that you found a solution anyway :)