Activation failure - After ESET Admin server crash

Marco2526

We had a server that the ESET Administration software was installed on.

There was recently a critical issue on it, theVM needed to be rebuilt, we used the existing vhd drives the VM used previously therefore nothing was changed (Server FQDN and IP address remain the same)

I am now having a problem where I am unable to activate the ESET endpoint security software (new installed versions and already existing ESET installations) , it either hangs on the product activation screen or fail (Error code: ECP.4098) such as below:

ESET.jpg.f130f11e36d414284780890eb91b2c7b.jpg

5a5f0ccaeb914_ESETFailed.jpg.0d757cced702528ae4581b517f87eda6.jpg

What could be the problem?

Edited by Marco2526

• ESET Staff

One problem that might be related to this could be, that the previous instance of the "ESET Remote Administrator" was installed with "HTTP Proxy forwarding" enabled, meaning Endpoint is trying to reach ESET licensing servers via the HTTP Proxy. Can you please check, whether anything is configured in "TOOLS / Proxy Server" ?

ECP 4098 means, that your client is not able to reach ESET Activation Servers. Please check article : https://support.eset.com/kb2434/

If my assumption is right, you will need to remove the old policies from the clients, in order to let them activate. I do see, that the product installed is still Endpoint 6.5 or older, so those issues are not related to the application upgrade. 

Hi Michal

Thanks for the reply.

I have checked as per your request, this is what I see:

5a5f24ef5c431_Eset546.JPG.679efacf6c1cf8a6081114f2c1b796eb.JPG

There is definitely something configured here, obviously our ESET server, however I am unable to configure anything within it.

I also followed the instructions as per the article suggested, unfortunately the same problem persists.

I see you mentioned we will need to remove the old policies from the clients, how does one go about doing that?

• ESET Staff

So, that confirms what I have thought. Endpoint is trying to contact our licensing server via a proxy server, which does no longer exist (your old server crashed).

You need to "get rid" of those settings, and you will be able to do it only by the means of connecting the client to the ERA server, and applying a policy, that will remove the values, and configure either a new proxy server, or let clients communicate with ESET directly. Problem now is, that even if you remove ERA agent, it won´t help, as Endpoint will keep the values set.

Well that's great...

I have just finished this project now and all our ESET clients are no longer pointing to the correct server. So I am assuming that I will need to remove the clients software manually?

• Administrators

You can install ERAS (ideally deploy a virtual appliance which is the quickest way) and deploy ERA agent to clients. This way you'll make Endpoints and ERA agent manageable by the new ERAS and you will be able to adjust policies for both products.

2 minutes ago, Marcos said:

You can install ERAS (ideally deploy a virtual appliance which is the quickest way) and deploy ERA agent to clients. This way you'll make Endpoints and ERA agent manageable by the new ERAS and you will be able to adjust policies for both products.

Thanks Marcos

I am struggling to find the information on how to do this? The previous link provided by Michal doesn't seem to have this information or I might be a tad blind.

• ESET Staff

What information you are looking for?

Once you have a new ERA in place (documentation for that one exist as well, just visit help.eset.com and choose "installation & upgrade guide for ERA") you can use any of the methods to deploy the ERA agent.

http://help.eset.com/era_install/65/en-US/index.html