Blockwebsites not working correctly

When we apply a website filter to block youtube for example the policy is applied on the ESET endpoint. However the user can still visit the website untill we clear the cache of chrome (the browser used). This is annoying if you have to do this on multiple PCs.

The other way around when we remove the policy in the ERA the block is not removed! To solve this you first have to create a new policy that allows youtube again.

Is this the working ? If so there is room for improvement.

• ESET Staff

I am not sure, if you are talking about "webcontrol" or "web access protection" (blocked websites).

If you have really a suspicion that it´s a browser cache - It might be worth checking if it´s not possible to be automated, by the means of "run command task". I have not searched explicitly, but it might be possible to do by commands, like : http://www.catonmat.net/blog/clear-privacy-ie-firefox-opera-chrome-safari/

Concerning the other issue, I do agree, that you are right. Currently, the values remain set in the Endpoint, after a policy that set them is removed. In the upcoming Endpoint version (V7) this behavior will be changed, and settings will "revert" to the state prior to the application of the policy, that was setting them.

Edited by MichalJ

• Administrators

Neither Web Access protection nor Web Control work as plug-ins for browsers but they check http(s) traffic on the network level. I've tried to reproduce it but I couldn't play any previously played video on the Youtube site after disconnecting the machine from network.

Ok what should we deliver to support in order to have this examined further. We have ERA running latest version EES and we want to block websites. The only issue is that if you are not clearing the cache of the browser the user can still visit the webpages on our system.