Slow app startup

Over the past few months I have compared ESET Cyber Security to other Mac antivirus solutions as to the real-life performance hit on my MacBook Pro (TB, late 2016). One of my main indicators for this is Microsoft Office for Mac 2016, where the cold startup time of Word and Excel can take up to 10 seconds (with ESET), as opposed to 4-5 seconds (Bitdefender, Norton). Interestingly, after quitting and re-starting Word or Excel, the apps' startup time is reduced to a couple of seconds with Bitdefender/Norton - but remains as high as before with ESET.

The times stated above are very consistent on my machine, and the time difference is proportionally the same with other apps I've measured (e.g. Calibre e-book, Adobe Acrobat Reader DC).

My initial assumption is that there is something lacking in the optimisation routine of the real-time protection module; how come there is no time reduction whatsoever upon subsequent app starts? Is there anything I could do to reduce these startup times in the ESET config?

My machine details:

- MacBook Pro (15'', 2016)
- Intel Core i7 2.9 GHz, 16 GB RAM
- macOS High Sierra 10.13.2

• Administrators

Do you experience this issue when you just open Word or when you open a document and the system launches Word and it opens the document?

Please use ESET Log Collector for Mac to generate logs for further analysis as per the instructions at https://support.eset.com/kb3404. When done, supply it to customer care so that the case is properly tracked. You can also upload it to a safe location and drop me a private message with a download link so that I can check the logs myself in case there's something obvious which is causing the issue.

• 1 month later...

I also have this issue.  

Whenever I open any of the Microsoft Office 2016 apps it takes over 10 seconds to launch an app when Eset is installed  vs only 2 or 3 seconds when using either no antivirus or Bitdefender.  This happens if I try to open the app directly or if I try to open a document.

I just removed Bitdefender and reinstalled the latest version of Eset (6.5.600.5) and when I paused real time protection, Microsoft Word opened in about 3 seconds to launch but when I turn on real time protection and I try to launch Word I get a beachball and it takes about 16 seconds to open the app.  I used a stopwatch to time this.

• Administrators

Does it happen if you merely launch the app or when opening a document? If the latter, does it make a difference whether it's a locally stored doc or a doc in a network share?

Hi Marcos,

It performs the same whether I open a document or just the app.    Also just FYI.  I have FileVault turned off.   And I also have excluded the Miscrosoft apps from scanning in the general section of the preferences.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Please create a Procmon log with advanced output enabled as per the instructions at https://support.eset.com/kb6308/ and also collect logs with ELC. Upload both archives to a safe location (e.g. Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.) and drop me a message with download links.