Future changes to ESET Security Management Center / ESET Remote Administrator

12 hours ago, MartinK said:

Currently it is not decided of the future, and even latest version is using CentOS7-based appliance, which is supposed to be supported until 2024 (i.e. much longer than mentioned CentOS8). We currently rely on fact that security patches are available, even for tomcat 7 which is part of official CentOS7 repositories.

Just out of curiosity, what would be your preferred Linux distribution for future? Asking as there is not many "free" distributions guaranteeing reasonably long support and stability of environment for future migrations.

For a long LTS, staying on Linux, I would peak Ubuntu LTS which is by far the best choice IMO. I would definitely NOT use Oracle Linux as Oracle isn't known to be a Long Term Free solution (see ZFS, MySQL, Java etc ....).

On another way, if you're up to go on the unix world, I would definitely looking at free/openBSD 

14 hours ago, MartinK said:

Just out of curiosity, what would be your preferred Linux distribution for future? Asking as there is not many "free" distributions guaranteeing reasonably long support and stability of environment for future migrations.

I wonder, would you consider RHEL as security vendor? If not why not?

Description: Automate the "rerun on failed" trigger

Detail: When upgrading Endpoint or Agents to latest version, often it might fail on some computers due to many reasons. It would be nice to have the ability to automate the trigger on these because as of now you have to constantly monitor and rerun many times the task. Using a dynamic group also doesn't work since the task will run when computers joins group but if it fails it will not run again.

Description: Have Name as a default Filter field when selecting Targets

Detail: When running a task or creating a task and selecting Targets  there is a default Tags option but not a Name Filter field. Name can be added from the drop down Add Filter - Name but it would save me doing this every time as it reverts back afterwards to just Tags.

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Staff
On 12/23/2020 at 12:51 PM, robg said:

Description: Have Name as a default Filter field when selecting Targets

Detail: When running a task or creating a task and selecting Targets  there is a default Tags option but not a Name Filter field. Name can be added from the drop down Add Filter - Name but it would save me doing this every time as it reverts back afterwards to just Tags.

Hello Robg,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. We would like to understand your needs better. Please could you explain your typical use case? Do you trigger a particular task only on selected computers? If yes, which task?

In some cases (e.g., Software install task), it may be useful to select a whole group of computers instead of selecting one by one.
Or when you need to perform the action only on one computer, it could be useful to go through Computers, context action over a particular computer and chose "RUN TASK ..."

• ESET Staff
On 12/23/2020 at 12:21 PM, karsayor said:

Description: Automate the "rerun on failed" trigger

Detail: When upgrading Endpoint or Agents to latest version, often it might fail on some computers due to many reasons. It would be nice to have the ability to automate the trigger on these because as of now you have to constantly monitor and rerun many times the task. Using a dynamic group also doesn't work since the task will run when computers joins group but if it fails it will not run again.

Many thanks karsayor,

We are currently working on a large project / comprehensive mechanism that will help the administrator keep the products in the network on the latest version automatically. We hope that this feature will help you and other customers.
The good news is that we already upgrade all ESET Management Agents for ESET PROTECT Cloud (formerly known as ECA) automatically. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2021 at 2:13 PM, igi008 said:

Hello Robg,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. We would like to understand your needs better. Please could you explain your typical use case? Do you trigger a particular task only on selected computers? If yes, which task?

In some cases (e.g., Software install task), it may be useful to select a whole group of computers instead of selecting one by one.
Or when you need to perform the action only on one computer, it could be useful to go through Computers, context action over a particular computer and chose "RUN TASK ..."

Usually when I want to install the latest EsetAV on a single machine , the task asks to select a version so I want to create new tasks to avoid installing older versions. Or rebooting a machine at a particular one off time I can't reuse the task and making a new one is the same effort as editing an existing one. Selecting the computer I want to run it against it from the title bar would save me several clicks if the filter had name as a default

target.jpg