Future changes to ESET PROTECT (formerly ESET Security Management Center / ESET Remote Administrator)

Description: Retrieve system uptime to ESMC with agent

Detail: Send system uptime with ESMC Agent to ESMC so that this can be used for Dynamic group (or task eventually). For example a dynamic group with all computers with uptime more than X hours. That would allow to run task on those computers.

1 minute ago, karsayor said:

Description: Retrieve system uptime to ESMC with agent

Detail: Send system uptime with ESMC Agent to ESMC so that this can be used for Dynamic group (or task eventually). For example a dynamic group with all computers with uptime more than X hours. That would allow to run task on those computers.

Even better, just send this information from agent to ESMC everytime he reports to it. And add this information in computer "Details" and maybe as a column in "Computers".

Description: Configure SNMP via Webinterface

Detail:  Currently for the ESMC appliance the only way to configure SNMP is by editing  snmpd.conf.

The default snmpd.conf also has no preconfigured options for SNMP v3 making it even more difficult to securely monitor the ESMC appliance.

It had been discussed again and again. but I still want to say: with endpoint 8.0, Please give up stupid MySQL and use MariaDB. check current system requirement it is really funny:

MySQL ODBC driver versions 5.3.11 and later, 8.0.0 – 8.0.15 and 8.0.18 and later are not supported.

Edited by tbsky

• 2 weeks later...

Description: Patch Management updates ( Microsoft updates && 3rd party vendors)

Detail: Would love to see a more detailed module/page on ESMC with more info about installed and pending updates on each device controlled for Microsoft Updates && 3rd Party vendors. Also the feature to control that updates and approve them to install them remotely.

I am a MSP and we have many clients that use ESET Endpoint solutions, they are very happy and we push Install Microsoft Updates from ESET (Besides internal GPO) every week to be sure they're applied. But I think we need more control because nowadays this is becoming a headache for very IT Administrator as every week are discovered new vulnerabilities. Each Microsoft monthly patch include maybe 80 fixes!! We need more control over it. And what about 3rd party apps? They are full of vulnerabilities too and other ones still installed while they're end-of-life (Firefox, Chrome, Java, Flash, Winrar, 7-Zip, Adobe....). We need more control over that 3rd party software to and ability to push updates from a central console.

Other vendors have similar solutions

Acronis:

Panda Adatpative Defense:

Trend Micro:

Objective: Avoid risks like that https://www.ghacks.net/2019/02/21/winrar-has-a-critical-security-bug-here-is-the-fix/

Thanks for listening to community :).

Description: Dynamic Tag Creation

Detail: Our team would like the ability to automate the tag creation process in ESMC. We would like it so that we can apply a tag to a dynamic group and then that tag applies to all the children of that group as well.

Description: Policy for disabling network drive scans when run from custom scan.

Detail: It would be nice if we could have tighter control on the custom scan process. Right now users can scan the mapped drives that we have set in group policy. To avoid potential performance hits to our file servers if someone were to run this scan on a mapped drive, a feature to disable scanning of mapped network drives would be nice.

Description: The SMC Virtual Appliance configuration page can un-do network settings

Detail: The Virtual Appliance configuration page doesn't show the network settings that were set in the “First time appliance configuration”.
The fields are displayed blank.

If the person doesn’t re-enter the values there, Virtual Appliance configuration page un-sets the values and the appliance reverts back to, for example, an un-named DHCP client.

So then the “First time appliance configuration” must be re-set, and Virtual Appliance configuration must be re-done with the values re-entered.

Description:  SMC Virtual Appliance configuration affect

Detail: If the Virtual Appliance can't just be made to always have a non-configured HTTP FORWARD PROXY, then
1. the label for the checkbox for installing/not installing it should say Install; not Enable, and
2. the SMC Console’s Server Advanced Settings shouldn’t display and save HTTP PROXY options if it’s not installed, since they're not actually effective in such case.
Instead, the section could indicate that the proxy isn't installed, and include a link to instructions for installing it.

I just finished my (fourth?, fifth?) Support chat this morning (Cases 447007 and 454095), totaling about 10+ working hours (including myself, Support, and a co-worker), to figure out a problem that was caused by the proxy not being installed.

I didn’t check that box when going through the Virtual Appliance configuration because I wasn’t ready to set it up quite yet, and I knew from our Windows-hosted SMC Console that it can be enabled and set from within the SMC Console.

I later enabled it and set the options in the SMC Console, so it included them when building the Live Installer.
But because the proxy wasn't actually installed, the Live Installer-run Agent installation failed and rolled back at the very last step.
It didn't provide indication, neither interactively or in a .log file, of the cause.

Description: show username of computer on default lists.

Detail: when you logon on ESET MSC and go to default tab "general information", if you click on first 4 icons (all computers, right computers, attention required or risk computers) the displayed lists can not display a column with the username of the computer.

Description: show BIOS version on details of the computer.

Detail: on the general info screen of a computer, you can see lot of information about computer (Operative System, computer model, serial number, etc...) would be very usefull display the bios version too and would be great if also can advice if Bios version is out of date or in risk (same as you do now with OS updates). Manteinance of BIOS is also part of the security

Description: Possibility to change Dashboard for standard users

Detail:

Standard ESMC users (non admins) are not able to edit or adjust their dashboard configuration and they have to "stay" with the default template. Any change their made is not saved. 

It would help a lot if they could re-configure dashboard with available predefined reports.

Description: It would be very helpful to have the possibility to move computers between groups (both types) with a task

Detail: If we want to move computers from Lost & Found to groups created based on AD. Currently this is not possible and we have to move computers manually.

• Administrators
Just now, Miami said:

Description: It would be very helpful to have the possibility to move computers between groups (both types) with a task

Detail: If we want to move computers from Lost & Found to groups created based on AD. Currently this is not possible and we have to move computers manually.

1, Membership in dynamic groups is dynamically evaluated by agent on clients. It doesn't happen on the ESMC server.
2, In order to static groups with AD, use a server Static group synchronization task:

image.png

Should you have any questions, feel free to ask in the ESMC forum (ie. not in this topic).

24 minutes ago, Marcos said:

1, Membership in dynamic groups is dynamically evaluated by agent on clients. It doesn't happen on the ESMC server.
2, In order to static groups with AD, use a server Static group synchronization task:

image.png

Should you have any questions, feel free to ask in the ESMC forum (ie. not in this topic).

Non domain computers are not included in domain structure, they are automatically stored in Lost & Found group. Currently we do separate these clients in Dynamic groups located within "Lost & Found" and we would like to move client from these dynamic groups into our "AD structured" static groups. 

So it looks like this:

ALL\Lost & Found\ 

... pc0001

... pc0002

ALL\Lost & Found\ Dynamicgroup1  //grouped by ip, computername, etc.

...pc0043

...pc0088

Now, we would like to move computers pc0043 and pc0088 to our domain structure ALL\Superdomain.local\Country\City\Nondomain\

Does it make sense?

Not all computers are running on domain and we would like to keep them structured in a same way like domain machines. 

Edited by Miami

• Administrators

This topic is not intended for discussions, only for posting suggestions for future improvements and changes. Please open a new topic where the matter can be discussed further.

Anyways, it's possible to set the desired static group even during deployment

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

This topic is not intended for discussions, only for posting suggestions for future improvements and changes. Please open a new topic where the matter can be discussed further.

Anyways, it's possible to set the desired static group even during deployment

Hello Marcos,

my post was a suggestion as that functionality is not available in ESMC, but as requested I will create a new help request in ESMC.

This was in Cloud Administrator topic but should be here too

Description: A new task/setting to reboot computers with a popup message warning,
Detail: Add the possibility to notify user that computer will be restarted when reboot computer task is triggered and let them for example 5 minutes to save/close programs/data.

Please add in Dynamic group templates to be able to check for "Group name" (static or dynamic). This will enable me to do more automatic tasks depending on this value. Right now I cannot do what I need to do because I need to exclude some groups from the new dynamic group template that I need to create.

Edited by opadilla

It would be great to have a "Repair" task for any ESET product to be run from ESMC. I have seen many problems that may be easy fixed with this. If there is a local endpoint repair option, there also should be available on tasks in ESMC for that same purpose. I would also be great also to add to this "Repair" process (I don't know if it already done this) to initialize all ESET client databases and download them again from the Internet or ESMC or proxy (it could also be an option inside the repair task).

Edited by opadilla

• 4 weeks later...

I hope I'm falling on the right thread for this ..

Description: (Next) Up-to-date system to host the ESMC Virtual Appliance 

DetailThe ESMC Virtual Appliance  is running under CentOS 7 with some higly outdated software (like tomcat 7 among others).

What's the plan for the next virtual appliance version, knowing the recent information about the End Of Life of CentOS in 2021: https://www.cyberciti.biz/linux-news/centos-linux-8-will-end-in-2021-and-shifts-focus-to-centos-stream/ ?

On 12/9/2020 at 12:55 PM, Nono said:

DetailThe ESMC Virtual Appliance  is running under CentOS 7 with some higly outdated software (like tomcat 7 among others).

What's the plan for the next virtual appliance version, knowing the recent information about the End Of Life of CentOS in 2021: https://www.cyberciti.biz/linux-news/centos-linux-8-will-end-in-2021-and-shifts-focus-to-centos-stream/ ?

They just released ESET PROTECT, it's essentialy a renamed ESMC v8. I don't know what version of tomcat it uses.

https://help.eset.com/protect_deploy_va/80/en-US/?va_upgrade_migrate.html

• ESET Staff
On 12/9/2020 at 12:55 PM, Nono said:

Currently it is not decided of the future, and even latest version is using CentOS7-based appliance, which is supposed to be supported until 2024 (i.e. much longer than mentioned CentOS8). We currently rely on fact that security patches are available, even for tomcat 7 which is part of official CentOS7 repositories.

Just out of curiosity, what would be your preferred Linux distribution for future? Asking as there is not many "free" distributions guaranteeing reasonably long support and stability of environment for future migrations.

8 minutes ago, MartinK said:

Currently it is not decided of the future, and even latest version is using CentOS7-based appliance, which is supposed to be supported until 2024 (i.e. much longer than mentioned CentOS8). We currently rely on fact that security patches are available, even for tomcat 7 which is part of official CentOS7 repositories.

Just out of curiosity, what would be your preferred Linux distribution for future? Asking as there is not many "free" distributions guaranteeing reasonably long support and stability of environment for future migrations.

If you want to stay with RedHat/CentOS, then maybe Oracle Linux?

https://linux.oracle.com/switch/centos/

I personally prefer Ubuntu, LTS versions are supported for 5 years. Debian LTS is also supported for 5 years.