Question | Concerns about ERA exposing ports to wan\public

Hi All,

I'm looking for different kinds of answers to this question (I'll be asking it at the end of my explanation).

Here are a few kinds of answers I'd like to hear:
- Anyone who found a solution for the security concern of the matter (aka deployment of a firewall\filtering system for accepting information from external toward the server)
- Any direction to the security level ESET is following by to understand risks or no risks in exposing ports from an internal server to the world to allow agents to connect.
- Any other idea on the matter really.
The Question: Put it simply, I have a few employees who aren't accessing the office network on regular basis, I'd like to make sure their ESET Agents will still report in when possible, and exposing ports to the WAN side of the organization is somewhat a concern, so I'd like some peace of mind on the matter. if anyone can help, that would be really really helpful.

Thanks all!

43 minutes ago, avielc said:

Hi All,

I'm looking for different kinds of answers to this question (I'll be asking it at the end of my explanation).

Here are a few kinds of answers I'd like to hear:
- Anyone who found a solution for the security concern of the matter (aka deployment of a firewall\filtering system for accepting information from external toward the server)
- Any direction to the security level ESET is following by to understand risks or no risks in exposing ports from an internal server to the world to allow agents to connect.
- Any other idea on the matter really.
The Question: Put it simply, I have a few employees who aren't accessing the office network on regular basis, I'd like to make sure their ESET Agents will still report in when possible, and exposing ports to the WAN side of the organization is somewhat a concern, so I'd like some peace of mind on the matter. if anyone can help, that would be really really helpful.

Thanks all!

If you meant "server firewall" by "firewall\filtering system for accepting information from external toward the server" I've been waiting for this for a long time from ESET. Maybe someone from ESET will shed a light on this topic...

Opening ports is always security risk. It depends how big your company (or customer) are. You should not rely on single solution. As far as I know ESET v6 philosophy, agents have certificates to communicate to server. It's not security feature but it helps. I think story will be more interesting when they publish v7 in cloud.

We still use v5 and have problems with clients moving outside organization. Until they relese v7 we use VPN to connect to network and then client sends report back to ERA. It's not ideal but this is what we have for the moment. We are pinning hopes to v7 where we hope to move away from dual profiles.

@bbahes - Thanks for that mate, I meant securing the communication between ERA and the clients\agents. whether some official document that mentions hacking such port entry isn't possible because This or That... Etc.... or by saying, as you mentioned certificates which filter the communication and avoid any kind of DDOS and such,

Some details to assure it's ok to use it, would be most welcome. 
Thanks!