Policy order execution: Static and Dynamic Groups

DeltaSM

Hello,

I'm currently setting policies for my computers but I'm quite lost... How are policies applied? In which order?

I just read this article hxxp://help.eset.com/era_admin/65/en-US/index.html?admin_pol_ordering_groups.htm

If I understand well, policies applied on dynamic are applied AFTER policies on static groups and it should be these policies on dynamic groups which should have the priority right?

I don't understand why it doesn't work in my case.

Example:

Static Groups:
ALL (no policy applied on root)

-> PC (with Policy 1) ==> COMPUTER IS HERE: MY_COMPUTER (no policy directly applied)

-> PCP (with Policy 2)

Dynamic Groups:

Non-Admin Computers (with Policy 2)

What is the order of policies applied on MY_COMPUTER? For me it should be Policy 1 (because of Static Group) and then Policy 2 (because of Dynamic Group). Unfortunately it doesn't work and it's still Policy 1 that is applied. I checked and MY_COMPUTER is well in the Dynamic Group.

Regards,

DeltaSM

• ESET Staff

Under which static group is the dynamic group applied? Is it under "all" or under "PC" ? If it is under all, the policy 1 wins, as the dynamic group is second (after all), but that policy is overridden by the means of policy in the group PC (which is lover in the hierarchy).

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2017 at 12:19 PM, MichalJ said:

Under which static group is the dynamic group applied? Is it under "all" or under "PC" ? If it is under all, the policy 1 wins, as the dynamic group is second (after all), but that policy is overridden by the means of policy in the group PC (which is lover in the hierarchy).

Hello MichalJ,

First of all, Best Wishes for 2018!

Sorry for the delay, I understood how it works now thanks to your explanation. Problem is solved.

However, in this explanation (hxxp://help.eset.com/era_admin/65/en-US/index.html?admin_pol_ordering_groups.htm) I don't understand why for PC2 the order is

1.ALL

2.SG1

3.DG1

4.PC2

According to your explanation it should be:

1.ALL

2.DG1

3.SG1

4.PC2

Am I wrong? Why is DG1 at level 3? For me it's at Level 1 like all no?

Kind Regards,

DeltaSM

Edited by DeltaSM

• ESET Staff

Hello, you are correct, and have identified an issue in the documentation. We will fix it shortly. Let me apologize to you for any inconvenience this might have caused.

Edited by MichalJ

On 12/22/2017 at 12:19 PM, MichalJ said:

No problem, glad that I could help :)