Eset uses 50-70% of my CPU all the time.  My laptop is burning!

This has been going on for almost a few months and reinstalling it does not help at all.

Used to be good 4 years ago but now ESET is totally unusable!@#

• Administrators

Does temporarily disabling real-time protection or another protection module, such as HIPS (requires a reboot) make a difference? Also please collect logs with ELC and drop me a message with the generated archive attached.

None of the above makes any difference. (it might drop for awhile but then spikes up again)  Have tried reinstalling various times.  Dropping you a message with the logs.

And no my laptop is not from 2003.  It is not even from 2013.

It is much newer with SSD.

• Administrators

How do you know it's ESET that is spiking the cpu? This could happen when scanning files but you wrote that temporarily disabling real-time protection didn't help. Please provide a Procmon log with at least 2-3 minutes captured while the cpu is being heavily utilized. For instructions, please refer to https://support.eset.com/kb6308/. The Procmon log should also reveal which process utilizes the cpu.

1. Because I have task manager and process explorer open and I look at the CPU usage....?  Further to that, I can click on properties under process explorer and see the Threads are taking up a lot of CPU usage.  In particular it was the !RtlUserThreadStart that spiked up.

2. It is not during scanning the files

3. Temporarily disabling RTP helps reduce it sometimes but it will spike back up again.

Currently I dont have high CPU usage by ESET but will revert if it does and get the procmon log if needed.

On 12/29/2017 at 3:17 PM, Marcos said:

How do you know it's ESET that is spiking the cpu? This could happen when scanning files but you wrote that temporarily disabling real-time protection didn't help. Please provide a Procmon log with at least 2-3 minutes captured while the cpu is being heavily utilized. For instructions, please refer to https://support.eset.com/kb6308/. The Procmon log should also reveal which process utilizes the cpu.

I created the log file but it is like 4GB unzipped... Is this correct...?

• Administrators

4 GB seems too much if you've captured only 2-3 minutes. Nevertheless, please compress the log, upload the archive to DropBox, OneDrive, etc. and drop me a pm with a download link.

30 minutes ago, Marcos said:

4 GB seems too much if you've captured only 2-3 minutes. Nevertheless, please compress the log, upload the archive to DropBox, OneDrive, etc. and drop me a pm with a download link.

Sent! Thanks

• Administrators

Please provide me with the file C:\Users\Ted\AppData\Local\lxss\rootfs\lib\x86_64-linux-gnu\libc-2.23.so. Does excluding "C:\Users\Ted\AppData\Local\lxss\*.*" from scanning make a difference? Do you have WSL installed on Windows 10?

Do you have ESET v11.0.159 installed?

43 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Please provide me with the file C:\Users\Ted\AppData\Local\lxss\rootfs\lib\x86_64-linux-gnu\libc-2.23.so. Does excluding "C:\Users\Ted\AppData\Local\lxss\*.*" from scanning make a difference? Do you have WSL installed on Windows 10?

Do you have ESET v11.0.159 installed?

1. Yes installed Bash on Win 10

2. I have ESET 10.1.235.0  I tried to get version 11 as I saw in the forum but when I downloaded the installer and did the reinstall, it only reinstalled version 10.

3, File sent!

EDIT:

Excluding the path does not seem to help.

Edited by ESET_HIGH_CPU

Might this be in any way related to the Anti-Theft Optimization warning bug that keeps popping up even though I have 5 stars?  (And even when I follow the other forum steps it only disappears for awhile then comes back...)

• Administrators

The file libc-2.23.so is scanned very quickly (a few ms) so it shouldn't have any effect on this. I've passed it on to the developers anyways as I don't think it's scanned in an optimal way.

Please provide me with a complete dump of ekrn by selecting full dump in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics and clicking Create (dump) at the time when you are experiencing a high cpu load by ekrn.exe. Then collect logs with ELC which should also include the generated dump by default. Upload the archive to a safe location and pm me a download link.

19 hours ago, Marcos said:

The file libc-2.23.so is scanned very quickly (a few ms) so it shouldn't have any effect on this. I've passed it on to the developers anyways as I don't think it's scanned in an optimal way.

Please provide me with a complete dump of ekrn by selecting full dump in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics and clicking Create (dump) at the time when you are experiencing a high cpu load by ekrn.exe. Then collect logs with ELC which should also include the generated dump by default. Upload the archive to a safe location and pm me a download link.

Update is that after excluding that directory and resetting, it seems to have improved greatly.  I read up other articles where people has accounted slowdown due to this directory in other cases (non-Eset).  My question is will there be a fix to this?  Else I guess I would need to have another antivirus that covers WSL Bash.