Update Killed my Internet

Yesterday my ESS got a "client update please restart" notification..... after that restart the whole PC went haywire.

Mostly my internet connection kept dying (this actually started before the actual restart). And I was unable to disable and re-enable the adapter in "network connection".... it just plain did not respond. If I try this and log off I get a error message telling me it cannot be disabled (forget the actual message). BUT then the PC hangs on restart forcing me to use the reset switch. Then I started noticing that after ESS loads half my apps refuse to either start or end, even using task manager to kill something does not work. And eventually even my start menu stopped working. Eventually I booted into safe mode and uninstalled ESS and rebooted..... No problems whatsoever.

from event viewer at the time of uninstall "Windows Installer requires a system restart. Product Name: ESET Smart Security. Product Version: 10.1.219.0. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: ESET, spol. s r.o.. Type of System Restart: 1. Reason for Restart: 0."

Looking at the forums I see that EIS supplanted ESS (having received absolutely no notification of this it was a complete surprise). Is this exclusively a ESS problem?

PC: win7sp1

Edited by rambo919

• Administrators

Please collect logs with ELC and drop me a message with the generated archive attached. Also I'd suggest running the ESET Uninstall tool in safe mode and installing the latest version of ESET Internet Security (v11) from scratch. Should the problem persist, we'd need a complete memory dump to determine the root cause.

Sorry by the time I made this topic I had already uninstalled and was in the process of Installing EIS so the ESET logs might be as clean as the rest of the settings. Neva heard of ELC before, had to gogle that now. Neva had a problem remotely like this with ESET before so was unaware... for the moment it seems like everything is stable.

Had to remove the windows registry as it made the files WAY too large for upload.

eis_logs(filtered binary)noreg.zip

eis_logs(original from disk)noreg.zip

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem. In the middle of playing the game, I got disconnected. I looked at the ESET icon and it was spinning, saying updating module. Are you serious? You killed my connection during my gaming to update your product while gamer mode was on? That's why I refuse to install latest Eset and keep using version 9 on my other computer, it works perfectly. With new versions you just bring bloat and more useless settings to annoy customers. 1234.png.fe664fa6519d8a25fa4fbf8e860367b2.png

Edited by TwinHeadedEagle

• Administrators
On 12/21/2017 at 7:58 AM, rambo919 said:

Sorry by the time I made this topic I had already uninstalled and was in the process of Installing EIS so the ESET logs might be as clean as the rest of the settings. Neva heard of ELC before, had to gogle that now. Neva had a problem remotely like this with ESET before so was unaware... for the moment it seems like everything is stable.

Does unticking "ESET Firewall" in your Network connection properties make the issue go away? Or disabling the firewall in the advanced setup is enough?

As of v10, we started to use Windows Filtering Platform instead of using a lightweight firewall driver to avoid certain issues, however, it's only used on Windows 8.1 and higher where the functionality is fully supported.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, TwinHeadedEagle said:

I had the same problem. In the middle of playing the game, I got disconnected. I looked at the ESET icon and it was spinning, saying updating module. Are you kidding me? You killed my connection during my gaming to update your product while gamer mode was on?

Updating modules does not cause disconnection of other existing connections. Are you saying that if you download a large file via a browser for instance and ESET updates its modules while the file is being downloaded, the download is interrupted every time?

Was this happening with the latest v11.0.159? What version of Windows do you use and what platform is it (32/64-bit)?

I installed Windows 10 along with Eset 7 days ago. This happened only yesterday. So I don't know if it happened or is going to happened again. But when I got disconnected, I minimized my game and noticed that Eset icon is spinning. All light on my modem were normal, so I don't know what else could have caused the internet to drop for those 20 seconds.

I am using Windows 10 64-bit along with 11.0.159 Nod32 Antivirus.