"Your license file does not contain a Username or Password."

Cousin Vinny

Just now, Marcos said:

I've checked connections to activation servers in the last month but no such seat ID was found. Couldn't it be that you activated this Endpoint with an offline license file?

Nope, it had v5, then upgraded to 6.5 then yesterday upgraded to 6.6 all through the remote console in exactly the same way all the other machines were.  Some worked fine and some had this error.  Some were upgraded from 6.5.2094, some from 6.6.2046 but all with the same remote console task.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Gamtat said:

Can you check 41bf2a39-1e0e-4dd6-a1d3-315bc6892267 please.

I see that a license file was downloaded by this Endpoint today: 2018-01-05 17:43:34  and 2018-01-05 18:46:47 (CEST).

What issues are you having after rebooting the computer?

1 minute ago, Marcos said:

I see that a license file was downloaded by this Endpoint today: 2018-01-05 18:46:47 (CEST).

I can check on https://ela.eset.com/ and it's listed with an activation date of today with a green checkmark "Everything is OK".  However, the client has the same errors described earlier in the thread: Modules update failed, live grid not accessible etc..

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Gamtat said:

I can check on https://ela.eset.com/ and it's listed with an activation date of today with a green checkmark "Everything is OK".  However, the client has the same errors described earlier in the thread: Modules update failed, live grid not accessible etc..

Are these errors reported even after rebooting the computer in the last 2-3 hours? Currently it's 20:27 (8:27 PM) CET, ie. the license file was last time downloaded about 2 hours ago. Do you have a license file (license.lf) in C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security\License ?

I tried a bunch this morning but to be certain I just rebooted it again and get the same "ESET Endpoint requires your attention" bubble after login.  Protection Status: ESET Livegrid is not accessible.  Modules Update failed: Your license file does not contain a username or password.  I've tried to activate it manually a few times and have also deactivated the license from the ELA site but nothing has worked yet.  Is there anything else I can try?

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Gamtat said:

Is there anything else I can try?

Do you actually have a license file (license.lf) in C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security\License ? If so, please send it to me via a personal message.

Hi everyone!
To Marcos: I have/I am having  the same problem, and I tried:

1. Reinstalling the ESET Endpoint Antivirus on my computer

2.Cleaning registry and scanning for data integrity since  sometimes gives me an error about some  strange system behaviour. -> Everything is ok.

3. Running tasks to my computer from ERA server to: Activate the product; Update Modules; Run a system scan - > all failed as there was no communication with my machine.

4. Multiple restarts (just for fun).

And big surprise today 05.01.2018y at  18:35h (we are +2 hours UTC ) license.lf  in C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security\License have been modified , I am not sure if it has been created at that time. and all failed tasks are now started, some finished , modules are updated . The first time I had a problem with credentials and live grid was on 01.01.2018 around 14:30h.

So, I have 139 computers with problem now out of 1300 and if i am right about 300 more to update to ver.6.6.2068.1. and  I  will be happy to help.

PS I check for licence file in 10 random computers of now 164  and the Licence folder is empty!

Edited by A C

• Administrators

If you don't see any license.lf file in the License folder, please provide me with the seat ID of that machine so that I can check in our logs if a license file has been downloaded recently.

@A C @Gamtat If you attempt to run update manually, do you see a notification "Module update failed. Your license file does not contain a username and password. You can update only from an update mirror" or there's no additional notice besides "Module update failed" ? Do you have "Username" and "Password" values under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Plugins\01000400\Settings on these troublesome machines?

Can you confirm or deny that the issue is gone after uninstalling Endpoint, installing it from scratch and activating it?

2 minutes ago, Marcos said:

If you don't see any license.lf file in the License folder, please provide me with the seat ID of that machine so that I can check in our logs if a license file has been downloaded recently.

@A C @Gamtat If you attempt to run update manually, do you see a notification "Module update failed. Your license file does not contain a username and password. You can update only from an update mirror" or there's no additional notice besides "Module update failed" ? Do you have "Username" and "Password" values under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Plugins\01000400\Settings on these troublesome machines?

I see the former: "Module update failed. Your license file does not contain a username and password. You can update only from an update mirror"

There are no Username or Password entries in that registry key, no.

@Marcos  Hi, I did not uninstall and then install the product - just install it over. Today  I tasted it with brand new windows 7 x86 and after same installation stopped at early point where it tells me about strange activity - possible virus I was able to fully install the product, scan the system, update, restart it a couple of times without errors. May be 2 hours later suddenly the antivirus pop-up a massage that there was a  problem with updating procedure. And there is no "Username" and "Password"  under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Plugins\01000400\Settings

On 1/5/2018 at 3:13 PM, Marcos said:

Can you confirm or deny that the issue is gone after uninstalling Endpoint, installing it from scratch and activating it?

Uninstalled it from safe mode and reinstalled from a manual install task.  Looks fine now.  Can you confirm that the problem is fixed now?  I'm hesitant to upgrade the bulk of our clients if this is going to happen again.

19 minutes ago, Gamtat said:

Uninstalled it from safe mode and reinstalled from a manual install task.  Looks fine now.  Can you confirm that the problem is fixed now?  I'm hesitant to upgrade the bulk of our clients if this is going to happen again.

I did that and after an hour I get into the same situation as I was before. It loose the lic file and reg keys.

So far my favorite is the disappearing/reappearing computers with ESET LiveGrid® is not accessible.  Sometimes it shows 11 computers, sometimes it shows 3, sometimes 6.

Quite annoying.

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, TheSkymanDC said:

So far my favorite is the disappearing/reappearing computers with ESET LiveGrid® is not accessible.  Sometimes it shows 11 computers, sometimes it shows 3, sometimes 6.

If you don't receive a message that the license key does not contain a username/password to authenticate against LiveGrid servers, then it's highly unlikely to be related to the issue discussed in this topic. We'll need a Wireshark log from time when you get the message about LiveGrid servers being not available.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Gamtat said:

Endpoint with an ultimate fix will be released towards the end of Jan. Today we've been testing a workaround on update servers which will go live tomorrow morning, ie. in approx. 16 hours. We'll also release an update of the antivirus and antispyware module to ensure that the username and password is correctly added to the registry once a license file has been downloaded.

A weird thing is that the issue was not solved in your case after a fresh install of Endpoint since the issue is supposed to occur only during upgrade via ERA and only under specific timing circumstances. If you don't perform an upgrade, the product will always receive a license file from activation servers the first time it contacts them and the username and password is added to the registry.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, TheSkymanDC said:

Before reboot this is what I see.   After reboot no errors are shown in ESET.   But rest assured, the error will return!

This looks like a slightly different issue since a username and password is present in the registry. Please enable advanced update logging in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics, run update, then disable logging and provide me with the updater*.etl log created in the Diagnostics folder.

Some info on a current broken machine :

web seat ID: 2174d941-554e-4aa0-a6f3-a325b74f4f09

public lic: 3AB-9X7-57A

upgraded from older 6.6 to 6.6.2068 on Dec 21st

registry keys for username/password don't exist at all , license file does exist in the programdata folder

'your license file does not contain a username/password' error on the machine, 'ESET livegrid is not accessable' error in ERA web console.

Hi guys,

i'm not sure if it helps somebody, but for me it seems i have or had the same problem. It began with the LiveGrid problem in middle of december and later the probs with username/ password were added. There was a change in our network in the middle of december and the clients use another way to the internet. This also include the clients hosting the apache http proxy which are used by most of the clients.

If i change the configuration and the clients use a apache http proxy which host has no restrictions going through the firewall all problems are gone - if switch back the problems also are back again ...

but maybe everything is just a fluke/ coincidence/ happenstance and has nothing to do with your problems

kind regards from germany
steffen

FYI, this is not just a problem that affects upgrades from earlier 6.6 versions.  I had it happen to a bunch of computers that were upgraded from 6.5.

Here's today's report.   This computer changes from day to day - sometimes hour to hour.    It started yesterday reporting no errors.

If I do a Software Install task and push 2068 the problem will go away - only to return later.

Quite frustrating.

jan10-2.png.35c61093484dd06ccc0a2944b1c837d8.pngJan10-1.png.3b9e1130483dff33ca2bd17ecc254cc8.pngupdater_20180110_072546.etlJan10-3.png.ec628e409f94968b9edd2ffcdccff6d6.png

We have this issue also with about 40 systems, sometimes I can manually apply the license and sometimes it reverts to the Livegrid and activation errors and has the no license listed.  If I manually activate its ok somewhat but still get the module error, and then it reverts again.

ESET needs to step up and get this sorted ASAP, manual Safe Mode uninstall is not something we have the resources for even on 40 machines.