"Your license file does not contain a Username or Password."

Cousin Vinny

Of the 5 hosts having the problem over here:

I was able to deactivate two of them and create a new software activation client task that finished successfully.  These two machines are now running properly and without error.  The remaining three will not take product activation; the task does not indicate that it ever executed on these hosts, however they will disappear from "show running" on the task and also indicate in ELA that they are again licensed but the issue persists.  I am unable to deactivate these machines via ELA (for some reason there is no checkbox next to their entries) however I was able to deactivate them through the ERA context menu.

I then had to run the manual uninstaller in safe mode on each of these three hosts to remove the 6.6.2068.   Executed a software install client task from ERA and while it took a while to complete (5min, 15min, 30min respectively for each of the three) it did successfully complete and activate the licenses on these hosts without any further issue.

Push this update at your own peril.  Large deployments will be a nightmare.

• Administrators

We've found out that under certain circumstances Endpoint 6.6 may not receive a license file during re-activation after upgrade via ERA. Also it appears that only a small fraction of Endpoint v6.6 is affected for an unknown reason. We continue with the investigation and expect to come up with at least an interim solution soon. As a workaround, deactivating the units via ELA and reactivating them via ERA should work. As a last resort, you can uninstall Endpoint 6.6 and install it from scratch. The issue doesn't occur with a clean install.

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, TheSkymanDC said:

Marcos - so we're sure - is a reboot needed between deactivation - reactivation?

I don't think so. (De)activation should work without a reboot.

I checked several computers, upgraded to 6068 - all have this issue. The worst part of issue is that they aren't updating virus bases and reporting to ERA that all is fine.

I tried on mine computer - deactivated via ERA, started activation task (without reboot) and it hangs in "Running" state forever.

The same problem also here!!! After upgrade as usual via a sever task to 6.6.2068.0. On the ESET server, the only alert that we have is the attached "Eset live grid is not accesible" where on the clients we get the "Modules update failed. Your license file does not contain etc" ...

image.png

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, a.goudosis said:

The same problem also here!!! After upgrade as usual via a sever task to 6.6.2068.0. On the ESET server, the only alert that we have is the attached "Eset live grid is not accesible" where on the clients we get the "Modules update failed. Your license file does not contain etc" ...

Try deactivating the clients via the ELA portal and re-activating them via ERA.

22 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Yes, this fixed issue on my computer. Will do the same with 400 another :(

Also we have issue with hanging client on update: when status is "Your license file does not contain a Username or Password" click on button "Check for updates" hanging client on infinite check. Confirmed by several users (also 3 times on my computer).

Just now, Marcos said:

Deactivation via ELA was successful however the re-activation via ERA ... it is not succesfull so far ... and i don't get any feedback from ERA .... check the time on my PC and on the tasks...

image.thumb.png.b58e0c9d3fe78d8e43a66ea6405de9dc.png

1. The "upgrade  task to 6.6.2068.0"  was freeze in "running" state after hours . => That prohibited the "Activation task" to start

2. I canceled the "upgrade  task to 6.6.2068.0"

3. The activation task started and running and keep running ....

I BELEIVE THAT ESET MUST FIND A FEASIBLE SOLUTION

Note on the 2nd screenshot  that we don't get any ALERT about the DE-activation (see 1st screenshot) of the PC ...!!!???

5a3bd145ddfd5_2017-12-2117_18_18-.png.3ee70dc839f85ba815a85f4ea0234015.png

image.thumb.png.7a17d020ac61a0a6730a9770bc5a352c.png

Add me to the list of failed license activation. Of the 30 desktops I upgraded to 6.6.2068.0, ten of them are displaying:

ESET_662068error.JPG.54c983619537c24430e0cd0467469423.JPG

Trying to uninstall the product so I can perform a fresh install leads to the uninstaller freezing on "Preparing uninstallation".

This needs more attention and a solution from ESET.

uninstalls aren't possible. freeze on preparing uninstallation. only solution is forced uninstall via the command line uninstaller which has to be run in safe mode. this is a serious nuisance for affected PCs in other parts of the country that don't have anyone in that location to fix this.

3 hours ago, winstonsmith84 said:

uninstalls aren't possible. freeze on preparing uninstallation. only solution is forced uninstall via the command line uninstaller which has to be run in safe mode. this is a serious nuisance for affected PCs in other parts of the country that don't have anyone in that location to fix this.

Agreed. I'm working remotely over the holidays and I don't have physical access to any of these affected desktops to try a safe boot force removal. I'm now worried that these PCs are going to be vulnerable. At this point I'd prefer to just roll back to 6.6.2064.0 and not worry about it, but I can't uninstall the client from any of the failed PCs.

Edited by puff

I had 23 computers out of 52 have this issue. The solution for me is to deactivate the affected computer from ELA, reboot it, then activate it again in ERA. So far that has worked 100% of the time.

• Administrators

All v6.6 are affected by this. We are testing a new build of Endpoint 6,.6 that will have the issue fixed. It appears to be a matter of timing and the issue hasn't manifested until recently and doesn't manifest always. We've upgraded all Endpoints at ESET HQ without encountering any issue with activation that is being discussed in this topic. We'll keep you posted.

Does this mean that all that needs to be done is that the new build be installed over the bad build?

Please update us  ASAP.    ESET being closed tomorrow is making us anxious about this problem continuing until next week.

Edited by TheSkymanDC

Any news?

I'm checking updated to this build computers, most of them reporting to ERA that all fine, but have last databases update - 21.12.17. All of them has issue like on my last screenshot: Product not activated on "Update" tab and "License is valid" on "Protection status" tab. Removing license from ELA and reinstalling it in ERA task not helped.

Some computers has latest databases. Full reinstall on hundreds of computers - is not a solution.

• Administrators

It has been fixed automatically for EP6.6 users during the last few days. Does the problem persist after a reboot and update? The computers should have received a new license file which would have prevented the issue from occurring. If possible, drop me a message with a list of seat IDs of the troublesome machines.

3 hours ago, Marcos said:

It has been fixed automatically for EP6.6 users during the last few days. Does the problem persist after a reboot and update? The computers should have received a new license file which would have prevented the issue from occurring. If possible, drop me a message with a list of seat IDs of the troublesome machines.

Only full reinstall helped to me. My computer not got updates at all, reboot\removing and reinstalling licenses not helped. After full reinstall started working correctly. Now I need to reinstall about 190 affected computers from ~400.