Cousin Vinny

"Your license file does not contain a Username or Password."

Recommended Posts

Marcos - my post from Wednesday at 7:40 am shows that the username and password are not found.  

Or am I misunderstanding?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2018 at 9:40 PM, Marcos said:

As for the problems with LiveGrid, they are not related to the issue discussed in this topic in case that the Username and Password values are present in the registry and the license is valid.

It'd be related only if you are also getting the message "The credentials used to access LiveGrid servers are not correct" below the warning "ESET LiveGrid is not accessible". The best would be to discuss these issues in another topic so as not to mix different issues here.

On the client you can test LiveGrid by downloading the CloudCar test file. If it's detected as "Suspicious object", LiveGrid is working at the moment alright. To determine how often a problem accessing LiveGrid servers occur, temporarily set the minimum logging verbosity to Diagnostics in the advanced setup -> Tools -> Log files. You'll subsequently see unsuccessful connection attempts in the ESET Event log. For troubleshooting we'd need a Wireshark log from time when Endpoint is failing to connect to LiveGrid servers.

Regarding the username/password issue, we have a Configuration Engine for the ERA agent ready which will import the username and password from the license file to the registry which will eventually fix the issue for users who are still having this issue and haven't deactivated/reactivated the license nor uninstalled/reinstalled Endpoint on troublesome units yet. Also we expect a fixed version of Endpoint to be released next week (probably on Wednesday).

Dear Marcos,

Do you know if the new Endpoint version that probably will solve the problems of the v6.6.2068, will be released this week?

Thanks in advance

 

Edited by Jfa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jfa said:

Do you know if the new Endpoint version that probably will solve the problems of the v6.6.2068, will be released this week?

Yes, Endpoint 6.6.2072 will be released tomorrow. If you are having the issue discussed in this topic, did you try deactivating and reactivating Endpoint as per the instructions at https://support.eset.com/kb6636 ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Yes, Endpoint 6.6.2072 will be released tomorrow. If you are having the issue discussed in this topic, did you try deactivating and reactivating Endpoint as per the instructions at https://support.eset.com/kb6636 ?

Thanks Marcos. Yes, we have tried that workaround with one computer but problem persists. The situation here is under control, we will wait for the new release :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm happy to announce you that we have released Endpoint 6.6.2072 which ultimately addresses the issue with the username and password being deleted from the registry as well as all further issues stemming from that.

On behalf of ESET I'd like to apologize for the inconvenience. We have adjusted QA test cases and included upgrade with a license selected in the Software install task to prevent issues like this from occurring in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Marcos said:

I'm happy to announce you that we have released Endpoint 6.6.2072 which ultimately addresses the issue with the username and password being deleted from the registry as well as all further issues stemming from that.

On behalf of ESET I'd like to apologize for the inconvenience. We have adjusted QA test cases and included upgrade with a license selected in the Software install task to prevent issues like this from occurring in the future.

Already tested Endpoint Antivirus and Endpoint Security v6.6.2072! Work like a charm (no problems with activation / updates / uninstall) :)

Thanks Marcos,

Thanks ESET

Edited by Jfa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone. I'm one of affected too. I installed version 6.6.2.068 on even 40 PCs nad NTBs. I tried everything in this tread, but nothink helped me. So i just wait for new version 6.6.2072 and yes, it helps me on few PCs, where i have older version (6.6.2046) or where eset is not installed, but on those PCs and NTBs where i have 6.6.2068 it end with errors and i have to manually uninstall eset from safe mode. Its frustrated that i have to go to all our employees and manually unistall esets. Is there better way to do it than from safe mode?

 

Thanks with regard

Jan Král

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IT_BEE said:

I installed version 6.6.2.068 on even 40 PCs nad NTBs. I tried everything in this tread, but nothink helped me. So i just wait for new version 6.6.2072 and yes, it helps me on few PCs, where i have older version (6.6.2046) or where eset is not installed, but on those PCs and NTBs where i have 6.6.2068 it end with errors and i have to manually uninstall eset from safe mode.

Please provide me with an install log created as per the instructions at https://support.eset.com/kb406/ and logs collected with ELC. Does rebooting a computer prior to upgrading to v6.6.2072 make a difference?

What happens if you try to unistall ESET in normal mode? As for the Uninstall tool, it can be run only in safe mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can i post you just software-install.log from c$\ProgramData\ESET\RemoteAdministrator\Agent\EraAgentApplicationData\Logs?

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, IT_BEE said:

Can i post you just software-install.log from c$\ProgramData\ESET\RemoteAdministrator\Agent\EraAgentApplicationData\Logs?

Yes please. The best would be if I could also get logs collected by ELC in case there are related records in the system event log.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, so there is log from c$\ProgramData\ESET\RemoteAdministrator\Agent\EraAgentApplicationData\Logs, from one of our PC. I install eset from ERA using push install. 

If i try to install it manually, it ends with error that it can not stop ekrn service. If i use eset with AV remover, it ends with error MSI.1921. So is there any other way to uninstall/reinstall eset without uninstall tool from safe mode?

 

Thanks

software-install.log

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I deactivated one of the affected machines in ELA, rebooted the machine and tried to push the new client via ERA, it fails.  I downloaded the updated client to my machine, which is one of the borked 6.6.2068 machines and ran it as admin, it gets most of the way through and throws the error "Service "ESET Service" (ekrn) could not be deleted.  Verify that you have sufficient privileges to remove system services."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ITHoneyBadger said:

I deactivated one of the affected machines in ELA, rebooted the machine and tried to push the new client via ERA, it fails.  I downloaded the updated client to my machine, which is one of the borked 6.6.2068 machines and ran it as admin, it gets most of the way through and throws the error "Service "ESET Service" (ekrn) could not be deleted.  Verify that you have sufficient privileges to remove system services."

@IT_BEE @ITHoneyBadger Please check if information about installed modules is displayed after clicking "Show all modules" in the Update panel. If no modules are shown, then ekrn is in a bad state and upgrade would likely fail. Try restarting the computer first. Let us know if it helped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried to stop resident protection in ESET, after restart PC i just rename folder C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security to ESET Security_old, next restart, and then it can stop service ekrn and install new eset. This worked on 2 PCs. Other two that i tested now have problem to install new eset, because error "You dont have privilege to install system services)" or something like that. So half way solution :(.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IT_BEE said:

I tried to stop resident protection in ESET, after restart PC i just rename folder C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security to ESET Security_old, next restart, and then it can stop service ekrn and install new eset. This worked on 2 PCs. Other two that i tested now have problem to install new eset, because error "You dont have privilege to install system services)" or something like that.

This has nothing to do with real-time protection but rather with self-defense and a weird state of ekrn that can happen under certain circumstances on machines where the issue manifests. Normally you shouldn't do anything but reboot the machine. Are you getting the same error about starting ekrn even right after a reboot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rebooting my machine got the system tray icon back and no module errors, We have the client password protected so users cannot modify anything, normally when uninstalling, we enter this password and uninstall works.  Sadly on my system it fails, so i may need to try the Safe Mode uninstaller as the client will not open or populate the system tray.

Rebooting the other system and trying another push, and even an uninstall thru ERA still fails on each attempt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ITHoneyBadger said:

Rebooting my machine got the system tray icon back and no module errors, We have the client password protected so users cannot modify anything, normally when uninstalling, we enter this password and uninstall works.  Sadly on my system it fails, so i may need to try the Safe Mode uninstaller as the client will not open or populate the system tray.

Rebooting the other system and trying another push, and even an uninstall thru ERA still fails on each attempt. 

This is weird. What about the modules in the Update panel -> Show all modules? If you click that link, do you get a list of installed modules or it's empty?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new patch has thankfully fixed the majority of our broken endpoints.  Unfortunately, I've got a decent chunk of 6.2068 installs I can't get rid of on remote machines (would take weeks to do each machine individually with the safe-mode uninstaller).  The problem is a registry key that refuses to be removed.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\ekrn.exe

Anyone have a way around this?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jboring said:

Anyone have a way around this?

If you click 'Show all modules" in the Update panel, do you get a list of installed modules or it's empty? If empty, after rebooting the computer ekrn should load alright and upgrade should finish alright as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   1 member