Rooted device

KIm

could someone explain a "rooted device " to me please?  I set my tablet back to factory mode and ESET loaded ok but there is a warning about rooted devices being open to third parties. Help!

• Most Valued Members

Hello,

A rooted device is when you 'unlock' your Android operating system to gain root access. This allows you to completely take over your tablet above and beyond what you normally should be allowed for.

ESET has detected that your tablet has apparently been 'rooted', and is warning you of the potential dangers for third parties potentially being able to use that root access to do anything they like to your tablet.

How did you set your tablet back to factory mode, just wondering? Was it by using the Backup & Restore > Factory Reset option in Android Settings, or a different method?

On 09/10/2017 at 6:32 AM, KIm said:

I am using Chrome 61 Marcos. So when will the support resume?

Hi. I used back up and restore then factory reset as you thought. Can I make the tablet safe again now?

Oops. Replied in wrong place.  Yes, I used back up and restore then factory reset as you thought.  Can I make the tablet safe again now?  Be grateful for advice on how  to do that.

Edited by KIm

• Most Valued Members
9 hours ago, KIm said:

Yes, I used back up and restore then factory reset as you thought.

If this is the case and you factory reset normally without rooting the tablet, I would uninstall ESET Mobile Security and reinstall it again from the Google Play Store, as well as get a second opinion if your tablet is in fact rooted or not.

1. Open ESET Mobile Security
  2. Tap on the three lines on the top left corner to open the menu.
  3. Tap Settings, then tap Uninstall.
  4. Once uninstalled, restart your tablet by holding down the power button for a few seconds and tapping on 'Restart'.
  5. Once restarted, visit the Google Play Store.
  6. While in the store, search for an app called 'Root Check' by JRummy Apps and Install it.
  7. Also search and Install ESET Mobile Security.
  8. Once both are installed, open Root Check and see if what the app says about your tablet. It will either say it is or it is not rooted.
  9. Note down the result and uninstall the Root Check app. (You can do this by going into Android Settings > Apps > Root Check > Uninstall.)
  10. Open ESET Mobile Security and follow the setup.
  11. See if ESET tells you the tablet is still rooted or not and compare results with the Root Check app results.

Let us know how you go.

I have carefully followed the instructions. Root check says device Not rooted. ESET re-installed still says rooted device. I have also only got trial version on re-installation when I do have a multi device security pack. 

• Most Valued Members

Because you factory reset your device normally, you know you haven't rooted your device, and Root Check has said that your device isn't rooted... it seems that ESET is giving you a false-positive about your root status and will need to be looked into further by ESET so they can figure out why their app is telling you this. In the mean time, it is safe to assume that your device is not in fact rooted.

You will need to reactivate ESET Mobile Security by entering the license key of your Multi Device Security Pack, similar to the first time you installed ESET onto your tablet. See: Activate premium features in ESET Mobile Security for Android

You may recieve a reply from ESET staff shortly here on the Forum, however I would contact customer care in the ESET Mobile Security app so they can look into this and have your application log.

Contact customer care by tapping on the three lines next to the ESET logo on the top left of the app, and then tap 'Customer care'. Under Case type, select 'Security audit', and then for Issue type, select 'Incorrect data'. Provide the issue sescription about your device being incorrectly marked as a rooted device once you factory reset, that you never rooted your tablet and checked with another app that the tablet is not in fact rooted (or if you like, provide them a link to this Forum topic so they have everything that we've discussed). Make sure 'Submit application log' is left ticked.

In the mean time, if the warning is annoying, you can hide it for now by once again tapping the three lines next to the ESET logo, tapping 'Security Audit', tapping 'Device Monitoring' and then turning off 'Rooted device' by using the switch on the right. It should turn grey and say 'Not monitored'.

Edited by planet