Computer very slow / frozen

ChrisKurk

I have been using NOD32 antivirus for years now on my PC running Windows 7 Professional, service pack 1. And my computer has been extremely slow for years but I assumed it was something wrong with the computer. I recently stopped running the antivirus software and my computer was fine. Programs opened quickly, I could navigate with no issues, etc. I did some research on the topic and it seems that a lot of other users have the same problem but I didn't find a solution. I'd appreciate any help, as I just renewed and don't want to have to switch to another virus protection software. 

• Most Valued Members

What other apps are you running at boot time, and are you using any other anti malware or antivirus along with NOD ??

NOD is very lightweight and wont be the reason for the slowdown, give a bit more info and i bet we can resolve your issue :)

• Administrators

If temporarily disabling real-time protection makes a difference, please use Process Monitor to capture operations that are being carried out as per the instructions at https://support.eset.com/kb6308. Leave it logging for at least one minute when the issue is manifesting. Then save it as an unfiltered log and compress it. Collect logs with ELC, upload both archives to a safe location (e.g. Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.) and drop me a message with download links.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I believe I created the log file as requested. While ESET is running, programs are slow to open as is typing a search in a web browser. Hopefully this file will be helpful. Thanks for taking a look at it!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6o99t5o9sjv0brn/Logfile.PML?dl=0

• Administrators

There's something weird going on:

1, The db C:\Users\Photos\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player\CurrentDatabase_372.wmdb is almost 1 TB in size.
2, It takes several seconds for wmpnetwk.exe to read a tiny block of data (4kB) from it. In total it takes 213s.

Question: Does killing the wmpnetwk.exe process or moving the unusually large db to e.g. c:\bak\CurrentDatabase_372.wmdb and rebooting the machine make a difference?

3, It takes several seconds for svchost.exe to read a tiny block of data from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition Updates\{5EDF709D-B80F-47C8-8326-A4381B72DA64}\mpengine.dll. In total it takes 170s.

Question: What OS do you use? Make sure that the "Windows Defender Antivirus" service is not running. Make sure that Windows Defender Security Center reports that ESET is installed as an antivirus provider.

4, It takes several seconds for OfficeC2RClient.exe to read a tiny block of data from its binary.

5, I see that you have the Blackbaze backup software running which is writing to C:\ProgramData\Backblaze\bzdata\bzfilelists\v0031cf8035a93a59cfc580d011a_i____filelist.dat.future and topdirs.xml.future.tmp and ESET is subsequently scanning them after each change.

Question: Does adding "C:\ProgramData\Backblaze\*.*" to the exclusion list make a difference?

After checking the above, also run "chkdsk c:" to check the disk for possible errors. Also check the system event log for possible information about HDD or controller failures.