still some help needed - eis-11

I have been on a phone in S. Cal - 2 hours of my (& agent's) time.  However, i got some answers.  Following are some Questions.

Q. -1 - Eset live grid has again said it is not accessible - however, i have re-set to default mode in the advanced tools.  for a while it was OK - than it is saying not accessible again.

Q. - 2 - On the update splash screen, there is a message that says show all modules - installed components come up - the dates of each component are different - is this normal?

Q. - 3 - A message box kept coming up - "i  - Get access to another application".  i do not understand this - the one change i made when i set back to default was go from automatic mode to learners mode (because i had installed Ver.  11..)  Is this the reason?

Q. - 4 - i see no message that thunderbird is being covered - i have T-Bird  45.8.0.  Should i upgrade t-bird?

Q. 5 - is it possible to uninstall this off of my PC & re-install later - i had fewer problem with the last 10. ...  I am wondering if i will wait till vers. 11  bugs are solved.

I realize this is not your fault - you have MS updating, different email clients, etc.  On my side, i rarely go to forum - but my last 2 days have been consumed with chat, phone, etc.  I need good condescending answers to my needs.  I will look at the forum reply to this tomorrow - PST.

sincerely.

16 hours ago, jems said:

not accessible

I think there is smth wrong with your DNS, Isp or VPN because I don't have such problem!change your DNS? turn off VPN or reset internet settings?

16 hours ago, jems said:

- is this normal

Yes normal but sadly Eset refuse to provide a changelog for these micro updates :-)

16 hours ago, jems said:

Get access to another application

I think you are talking about the HIPS?!if yes then set it to learning(since you don't understand this)mode and your problem will be gone!the learning mode won't alert to anything!you have to provide some screenshot.
You shouldn't install the version 10! because Eset added many features to the new version! not a wise choice! but you can try to remove Eset from safe mode: https://support.eset.com/kb2289/?locale=en_US

Edited by persian-boy

• ESET Insiders

I have had the same problem ever since upgrading to version 11 back in October. I just haven't had any time to report it until now because of school. School is out for the next month so I have plenty of time to report it now. I'm currently using Eset Internet Security Version 11.0.154.0 on Windows 10 x64 version 1709, and the problem continues to persist. I have log files, but don't know where to submit them to. I've submitted many logs for beta builds, but I don't know where to send logs for stable builds to.

Eset Live Grid.jpg

Eset Notification 2.jpg

• Administrators
3 hours ago, cutting_edgetech said:

I just haven't had any time to report it until now because of school. School is out for the next month so I have plenty of time to report it now. I'm currently using Eset Internet Security Version 11.0.154.0 on Windows 10 x64 version 1709, and the problem continues to persist.

Do you get this error only shortly after starting Windows or even later when the Internet communication appears to work just fine? Could you try switching to pre-release updates and see if the error occurs less often?

• ESET Insiders
15 hours ago, Marcos said:

Do you get this error only shortly after starting Windows or even later when the Internet communication appears to work just fine? Could you try switching to pre-release updates and see if the error occurs less often?

No it happens the entire time the computer is on. It happens once about every 5 minutes. I can switch to pre-release updates if you think it will not cause BSOD's, or boot failures. Unfortunately this is the only machine I have at the moment. I'm doing Mysql work for a project right now. I keep fairly recent image backups to an external drive though. I will make an image backup right now, and enable pre- release updates. If I start having boot problems, or instability then it will not be an option. I will give it a try, and report back.

• Administrators

Since you are able to reproduce it, please use Wireshark to capture the network communication until the issue occurs. When done, compress the pcap log and post it here or send it directly to me via a private message.

• ESET Insiders

It has been over a day now since installing the pre-release updates, and I have not experienced the problem anymore. It seems the pre-release updates may have fixed the problem. The longest I had gone without experiencing the problem before this was maybe four hours. I went about 2-4 hours without experiencing the problem each time I updated Eset application to the latest build. After the problem began to occur though it happened about every 5-10 minutes.

Wireshark is not compatible with my Wireless Internet Adapter firmeware. The Wireshark installation package thinks I have a prior version of WinPcap installed on my machine. What ever it is detecting as a prior version of WinPcap is part of my Wireless Internet Adapter firmware. I checked my system multiple times, and WinPcap is not installed. I have to uninstall the driver for my Wireless adapter in order to install Wireshark, but then I don't have internet. I don't remember if WinPcap driver is contained in the Wireshark installation package, or if it has to download it from the internet during the instllation. If it has to download it from the internet then I will not be able to install Wireshark since I will not have internet access if I have to uninstall my firmware for my wireless adapter. I will try installing Wireshark only if the problem begins to occur again.

What protocol does liveGrid use? HTTPS, TCP, UDP, etc..? If it uses HTTP then I can use Fiddler instead of Wireshark to see if it captures enough data to help diagnose the problem. At the moment the problem no longer exist so hopefully the pre-release updates fixed the problem. It's been over a day now so it appears it has fixed the problem.

Edited by cutting_edgetech

11 hours ago, cutting_edgetech said:

What protocol does liveGrid use? HTTPS, TCP, UDP, etc..?

It appears to be HTTP using TCP based on the connection LG established when using the Tools -> Program reputation option.

BTW - whenever I have had LG dropped connections in the past, I used the above Tools feature to reestablish the connection which stuck for the entire boot session.

• ESET Insiders
15 hours ago, itman said:

It appears to be HTTP using TCP based on the connection LG established when using the Tools -> Program reputation option.

BTW - whenever I have had LG dropped connections in the past, I used the above Tools feature to reestablish the connection which stuck for the entire boot session.

I have already tried using the tools -> Program reputation option, and it doesn't take long before I start getting the alert again that LG is unaccessible. The pre-release updates seems to have fixed the problem so I don't have to deal with it any longer.

Edited by cutting_edgetech