Win 10 Fall Creators Update causes NOD32 slow start

BobU

New update to Windows 10 Creator Update 1709 and now at start NOD32 shows an exclamation and says it needs to be added to Windows Security or something very similar. Take a minute or so.

Expected behavior? Something need to change?

~Bob

• Administrators

Sounds like a problem with longer start of the Security Center service. We register to the WSC basically only once during install.

The service is dependent on several other services which may delay the start. Perhaps a Process Monitor log would be the best to start with.

Thanks for the reply.

OK, I tested further. It does NOT happen on shut down / startup, but happens every time with Restart. "We are waiting to be registered with the Windows Security Center". Takes over a minute to do.

Unsure how to use Process Monitor and seems a little overwhelming. Tell me how I can help you help me :)

I solved all my problems in this regard by first doing a boot drive defrag. I followed that up with a boot optimized defrag.

Also my startup times are the reverse. Upon a cold boot, a slight lag in Eset GUI appearing due to WSC starting as @Marcos mentioned. Upon restart, the Eset GUI is already present by the time the desktop appears in most cases.

Thanks, but this is not a defrag issue. SSD drives should NEVER be defragged, and this is due to ESET needing to register once again with Windows Security.

• Most Valued Members
31 minutes ago, BobU said:

Thanks, but this is not a defrag issue. SSD drives should NEVER be defragged, and this is due to ESET needing to register once again with Windows Security.

Do you have any other security apps that are loading on boot that could be interfering with NOD ??
Also what version of NOD are you running ???

Defender which is installed without me asking and seems to be disabled now because of ESET. Using most current verion - 10?

• Most Valued Members

Hi @ BobU

V 11.0.149.0 is the newest version of NOD32 , might be easier downloading the offline installer from the (SUPPORT/DOWNLOADS) section on the ESET homepage for your country and installing that over the current V10 you are running just now. This might resolve your issue quicker than trying to troubleshoot step by step.

Let me know how you get on :)

How very intersting. Why will it not update from my version of 10.1.235.0??? It tells me it is up to date!

Great call. Instantly fixed the issue. But the question remains why on BOTH my Win 10 and Win 7 computer trying to update NOD 32 reports its up to date.

19 minutes ago, BobU said:

Great call. Instantly fixed the issue. But the question remains why on BOTH my Win 10 and Win 7 computer trying to update NOD 32 reports its up to date.

Do you click the version update section? not database update? If yes, and it says it up to date, it might depends on you region or country to release the in product version update. Which usually later that the release date of the standalone of newer version products. This however, is based on my own personal experience. 

As for my part, i whenever a stable release of newer version are released, i always do uninstall and install instead of upgrading.

Yes, of course. The application update. and it reports up to date for 10. I would have never know about 11. But it did solve the problem.

Thanks again.

• Most Valued Members
24 minutes ago, BobU said:

Yes, of course. The application update. and it reports up to date for 10. I would have never know about 11. But it did solve the problem.

Thanks again.

Glad your all sorted and never had to go through loads of other things to try and resolve the issue @BobU . :)

• Most Valued Members
9 hours ago, BobU said:

How very intersting. Why will it not update from my version of 10.1.235.0??? It tells me it is up to date!

While the newer versions are generally safe and also go through beta testing in case something is discovered later on newer updates are slowly rolled out. Generally the auto update tool start to show the update a few months after release. You can always download the new version manually though.

There is a newsletter you can sign up to on here https://support.eset.com/news/ this will email you when any product is updated

On 12/2/2017 at 10:48 AM, BobU said:

New update to Windows 10 Creator Update 1709 and now at start NOD32 shows an exclamation and says it needs to be added to Windows Security or something very similar. Take a minute or so.

Expected behavior? Something need to change?

~Bob

I have the same exact problem and this is on a clean install with Windows 10 Fall Creators update + the latest NOD32 Antivirus v11.0.149.0

Need a little more help, please.

The new version 11 installed in Outlook as expected, but now created an Eset Antispam folder in my iMAP folders and created it as well on MY email server without asking for permission. I already HAVE Spam folders, so:

1. How do I disable this folder and

2. Where are the settings for it? What is going in there if I already have Spam Filters running on my email server.

This is upsetting. I never asked for this feature and wonder what else has no changed without asking. But I do wish to disable this after understanding it as soon as possible.

Thanks!

~Bob

• Most Valued Members

@BobU

If you open the NOD gui, then press F5 > web and email > email client protection

All the various settings are in there for enabling or disabling

Thanks, but sorry. I see nothing about a folder for AntiSpam nor any control of it. Can you be more specific or provide a number I can call to get this straight? I am amazed I have a new folder on my iPhone and this is on my own web server email. Eset should not have had permission to touch that at all. I really want to understand and change this today.

Thanks!

cyberhash (or others) if you could find a moment I would really like to understand this. I see not options not mention of the folder ESET AntiSpam, not any settings. How did it get on my server? Where are settings if I choose to keep it and where do I remove it if I choose?

Thanks.

esetmail.JPG

webmail.JPG

Thanks, but not it. I have ALWAYS had that so email is scanned. I have never had a new email folder created on mty server called EST AntiSpam that has no instructions for use or removal.

Unless I am wrong, your link shows how to remove the toolbar and consequently scanning, not this folder and whatever it might be doing.

Thanks.

~Bob

OK :)

I just looked and Antispam is greyed out in that plugin. And where are settings, instructions, descriptions - ANYTHING about what Anitispam does and how to set it?

And are you saying if I uncheck that the folder on my IMAP server will be removed?

And thanks for taking the time to reply. I feel like this is an undocumented "feature". I must be missing something.

~Bob

Even more. If I uncheck Outlook integration, I get Red Warnings I am not protected. SO I am usnure what you belive is correct cyberhash. Do you work for ESET? Are you sure on what you are saying? Does not appear that works unless I am misunderstanding and if so, please be very specific.

Thanks again.

• Most Valued Members

No @BobU i don't work for ESET , but im getting a little confused here.....

Antispam is a feature of either ESET Internet Security or ESET Smart Security and NOT NOD32. Are you sure you chose correct installer when you downloaded it originally and never installed one of the other products by mistake ?.

You can see it on the comparison sheet here https://www.eset.com/int/home/for-windows/

Within EIS or ESSP , its a very simple task of changing the slider to enable or disable the antispam integration feature within the GUI , without removing the email client protection as you can see from the image i have made up below. 

antispam.jpg