Where can you safely download Hiren's BootCD?

jeslookn

I have seen many people that use have Hiren's BootCD and saw a Youtube video in which an MBR infection was removed using Kaspersky TDSS Killer to check for one and booting up with Hiren's  to remove. It did look like all they did was repair the MBR though. I tried to download it and they want my credit card information and other person information that I will not disclose to a web site that I don't trust. Eset won't allow me to download at other web sites. How does anyone safely download this? Can Hiren's BootCD be trusted?

Thanks,

Jes

Edited by jeslookn

Hirens is one of the best tools on the internet for PC troubleshooting, repairing , and fixing.

It also has a few programs attached to it that cause false positive, due to the methods and strength they can have at altering your system.

TDSS killer is a completely free tool used to detect root-kits, developed by Kaspersky.

I can provide a link for that, but not Hirens :
hxxp://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/tdsskiller

This tool is best ran in safemode for hard to get rid of rootkits, and normal mode for rootkits that dont run unless certain services fire up.

Hiren's would be something your best to receive through peer to peer exchange.

Hiren's official page is here : hxxp://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

However a compilation of all the tools is not available from that site.

You can trust Hirens, but also need to have a moderate experience with computers, networking, storage, security etc ....

I use Hirens on a daily basis for its linux environment for punching through SAM databases..... clients that need password assistance.

Thanks for posting jeslookn

Hope i helped :)

Edited by Arakasi

Hirens is one of the best tools on the internet for PC troubleshooting, repairing , and fixing.

It also has a few programs attached to it that cause false positive, due to the methods and strength they can have at altering your system.

TDSS killer is a completely free tool used to detect root-kits, developed by Kaspersky.

This tool is best ran in safemode for hard to get rid of rootkits, and normal mode for rootkits that dont run unless certain services fire up.

You can trust Hirens, but also need to have a moderate experience with computers, networking, storage, security etc ....

I use Hirens on a daily basis for its linux environment for punching through SAM databases..... clients that need password assistance.

Hi Araka,

When you say "Peer to Peer," do you mean Bit Torrent? That sounds scary. Eset didn't like the Bit Torrent site, but I was able to download Bit Torrent.exe and scanned it. I'm not going to execute until I hear from someone to let me know it's okay. I have Kaspersky TDSS Killer along with the Kaspersky rescue disk.

I believe I have at least moderate experience with computers, networking, storage, security, etc... as I have been building my own computers since the mid 1990s. Family and friends have been bringing their computers to me to repair for years. I'm not formally trained and learn as I go.

The main reason I'm here is because of the last computer I worked on. It was infected with the ICE FBI worm. It was completely locked up except the command prompt. Someone brought another computer that had the same thing and I repaired the MBR with Partition Commander from Avanquest which I believe used to be Partition Magic, and the operation system was toast. That's usually the case with me when a computer is locked up and won't boot to the operating system. I delete the partition, recreate it, format it, and then install the operating system. I also pull the hard drive out, and connect it to my work computer using a Hard Drive to USB adapter to back up the data.

I can repair computers that will boot to the operating system by repairing the MBR and then using sfc /scannow to make sure the system files are okay. I then install a trial version of Eset Smart Security plus Malwarebytes and scan it with them.

I would like to download Hiren's BootCD safely though, and so far haven't been able to.

Jes

Hi Araka,

When you say "Peer to Peer," do you mean Bit Torrent? That sounds scary. Eset didn't like the Bit Torrent site, but I was able to download Bit Torrent.exe and scanned it. I'm not going to execute until I hear from someone to let me know it's okay. I have Kaspersky TDSS Killer along with the Kaspersky rescue disk.

Jes

Hi Jes,

I am 99% sure that Arakasi did Not mean Bit Torrent.  My advice is to wait for him to come back and explain what he meant and what particular software he was referring to before moving forward. :)

Hi SweX,

Thanks. I am very careful when I download software. I should have said Eset didn't like the website, but there were no warnings when I downloaded the Bit Torrent file. It's been securely deleted. I don't understand. If Hiren's BootCD is so good, why is it so hard to safely download it?

Jes

Thats looks like a solid link to a package.

Its outdated though.

Were on 15.4 or 5 i think.

Jes the reason its hard to find a safe download is exactly because its good...

Its a high target for downloads, so it will be a high target for malware writers....

Just like a video or site has 20,000,000 views so it may have high advertisement....

or a very popular browser becomes the high target for exploits...

You can download it from hxxp://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

Thanks, Stackz,

I went back to hxxp://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/ and looked more closely and didn't click on the green download bar. I went to the bottom of the page and clicked on Hirens.BootCD.15.2.zip and had no problem downloading it as far as a warning about the mirror site I was downloading from. I did however, get two warning from ESS that the file itself had potentially malicious files in it. I clicked on continue because I know that just having a file sitting on my hard drive won't infect my computer. I noticed that hxxp://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/ has information about why anti-virus programs will warn you about possible malicious programs contained in the Zip file.

I went to the FAQ and found this:

The files downloaded from our website are NOT edited, they are the original files. The most common files we are getting reports are “HBCDMenu.exe, HBCDCustomizer.exe, R-Kill.com, konboot.gz”. Please note, they do NOT contain a virus. If you are getting a virus warning, that is a false positive. Please report the file as a false positive via your antivirus software. During that time you should disable your antivirus or add the related file to your antivirus software’s exceptions list for a problem free use.

I plan on completely extracting the file and scanning it.

Jes

Edited by jeslookn

Thats looks like a solid link to a package.

Its outdated though.

Were on 15.4 or 5 i think.

Jes the reason its hard to find a safe download is exactly because its good...

Its a high target for downloads, so it will be a high target for malware writers....

Just like a video or site has 20,000,000 views so it may have high advertisement....

or a very popular browser becomes the high target for exploits...

Thanks for the information  Arakasi,

Jes

• 4 weeks later...