[Win7 x86] ESET IS v.11 - "Write to file failed" Module not updated!?

• ESET Insiders

Hi ESET,

First my KUDO'S for the ESET Product Development Team! This is a great lightweight and very nice humming release installed on my 2005 ASUS W2V laptop running Windows 7 32bit. Cheers for that! ;)

I recently installed ESET Internet Security v.11 - as the successor of my ESET Smart Security v.10 - and I've ran into an issue. I always run Microsoft Security Essentials alongside my ESET, for the first time I encountered a "write to file failed" for one of the modules. Is there a definitive cause-and-effect issue here?

Please see attatched screencap, am I missing an updated module for todays footprint?

esset_is_v11_modules_update_failed.thumb.JPG.9188d49a3a94a410e0c50dfabb00c09f.JPG

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

• Administrators

If you are able to reproduce the error, please carry on as follows:
- enable advanced update engine and firewall logging in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics
- start logging with Process Monitor (read https://support.eset.com/kb6308 for instructions)
- run update to reproduce the error
- stop logging and disable advanced logging as well
- compress the Procmon log
- collect logs with ELC.

Upload both archives to a safe location (e.g. Dropbox, OneDrive,...) and drop me a personal message with download links.

• ESET Insiders

Hi @Marcos,

Thank you very much for your quick response and reply. Much appreciated!

Will follow-up on your trouble-shooting and logging procedure asap.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Insiders

Hi @Marcos,

I've been troubleshooting the mentioned issue myself and I've come to the conclusion that the specifications of my Asus W2V Laptop - 2GB RAM - is the root of 'all evil'.

esset_is_v11_modules_update_failed_new_updates_2.thumb.JPG.c0c90ade1ebbd495beeaf4837f35c4e6.JPG

Cheers

Edited by m4v3r1ck

• ESET Insiders

Hi @Marcos,

I've had some issues the past few long hours to edit and/or add comments to my topic, sounds familiair?

I might need to finally admit that my Asus Laptop is just not fit enough anymore to handle most post 2015 apps I'm now running.

5a235a4cdea98_CPUID-HWMonitor-AsusW2V-2GBRAM-128GBSSD.thumb.JPG.7b2cfade850c523c0e7050ec15a59b41.JPG

I've been troubleshooting the mentioned issue and I've come to the conclusion, that the 2GB RAM / CPU is the crullpit. Can you confirm my view on the matter?

Thanks for your time & trouble! Even your suggested methode for logging is hogging my Laptop big time.

Cheers ;)

Edited by m4v3r1ck

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, m4v3r1ck said:

Hi @Marcos,

I've had some issues the past few long hours to edit and/or add comments to my topic, sounds familiair?

I might need to finally admit that my Asus Laptop is just not fit enough anymore to handle most post 2015 apps I'm now running.

5a235a4cdea98_CPUID-HWMonitor-AsusW2V-2GBRAM-128GBSSD.thumb.JPG.7b2cfade850c523c0e7050ec15a59b41.JPG

I've been troubleshooting the mentioned issue and I've come to the conclusion, that the 2GB RAM / CPU is the crullpit. Can you confirm my view on the matter?

Thanks for your time & trouble! Even your suggested methode for logging is hogging my Laptop big time.

Cheers ;)

@m4v3r1ck

V11 is very lightweight and better on resources than previous versions. Your temps seem very high, if you run task manager and sort the column by CPU usage is there something that's consuming lots of cpu cycles ??

Did you install ESET INTERNET SECURITY on top of ESET Smart Security?  If so then re-install the program using the removal tool in safemode to ensure all remnants are removed >> https://support.eset.com/kb2289/?locale=en_US   . Clear windows temp files. then >>

After reboot from safemode, then install EIS again >> https://download.eset.com/com/eset/tools/installers/live_eis/latest/eset_internet_security_live_installer.exe

• ESET Insiders

Hi @tmuster2k

Thank you! Yes, I used the web-based install of v.11 on top of v.10!

I'm currently using 6 open tabs in Chrome. Do you have any idea what's going on with all these processes for chrome? :o

eset-chrome-processes.thumb.JPG.0a4955cccfb6134312bb28980d1cf685.JPG

I'll download the full installer and perform an offline un- and reinstall of v.11. Thanks again for your time and trouble. Much appreciated!

Cheers ;)

• ESET Insiders

Hi @Marcos

In my quest to re-install ESET IS v.11 I got a pop-up granting me a FREE - limited time - upgrade to ESET SS PREMIUM v.11 and so I went along upgrading my 1/5-seat subscription on my ASUS W2V laptop running Windows 7 - 32bit. Please see my new warning!

eset-ss-no-free-upgrade.thumb.JPG.f34c986c0409c0e51f607fcaad46978f.JPG

WhatsUP with your product line-up lately? This is very annoying and shredding my confidence in ESET! :unsure:

Please advice and directions are greatly appreciated!

Cheers ;)

Edited by m4v3r1ck

• ESET Insiders
On 3-12-2017 at 4:12 AM, cyberhash said:

@m4v3r1ck

V11 is very lightweight and better on resources than previous versions. Your temps seem very high, if you run task manager and sort the column by CPU usage is there something that's consuming lots of cpu cycles ??

Hi @cyberhash

Thanks, yes my laptop is nearly EOL, but I'm just pushing it to its limtits. The regular module-updates are also hogging - as high as 85% resources - this system, can you roger that?

Cheers ;)

Edited by m4v3r1ck
added PS!

• ESET Insiders
On 8-12-2017 at 5:56 AM, m4v3r1ck said:

Hi @Marcos

In my quest to re-install ESET IS v.11 I got a pop-up granting me a FREE - limited time - upgrade to ESET SS PREMIUM v.11 and so I went along upgrading my 1/5-seat subscription on my ASUS W2V laptop running Windows 7 - 32bit. Please see my new warning!

eset-ss-no-free-upgrade.thumb.JPG.f34c986c0409c0e51f607fcaad46978f.JPG

WhatsUP with your product line-up lately? This is very annoying and shredding my confidence in ESET! :unsure:

Please advice and directions are greatly appreciated!

Cheers ;)

* BUMP *

• ESET Moderators

Hello @m4v3r1ck ,

when it comes to the update issues the low RAM or high memory fragmentation might be the culprit as the updater needs quite a big solid memory allocation to verify, merge and apply the updates. System reboot should probably resolve it temporarily (based on how heavily you use the system i.e. how long will it take to have low memory or high memory fragmentation).

We  would be able to check it based on logs which Marcos requested, for the high memory fragmentation we would need process dump from ekrn.exe after the error occures.

When it comes to the ESSP trial period it seems pretty normal, that once the period expires and you decide not to use the premium features, will be removed,...

Regards, P.R.

• ESET Insiders
11 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

When it comes to the ESSP trial period it seems pretty normal, that once the period expires and you decide not to use the premium features, will be removed,...

Regards, P.R.

Hi @Peter Randziak,

Thank you for your reply! Perhaps I didn't discribe my issue well enough, but when I use my original ESS - 5 seat - licence-key to upgrade to the Freemium (limited time) ESSPremium, I'm notified that ESSP will loose two key features:

eset-essp-warning-key-not-valid.JPG.38b93575e03c5674909629657182d6ea.JPG

Why is my license-key not valid, after I've been notified that my ESS - 5 seater - qualifies for the Freemium upgrade to ESSP? I'm quite confused and caught in the middle here.

Cheers ;)

• ESET Insiders

eset-ss-no-free-upgrade.thumb.JPG.7dfc3b482081fded1964dcd59a962ac0.JPGeset-ss-change-product-is-issues.thumb.JPG.ed45544d27e0820d39461143f8824651.JPGeset-ss-change-product-is-issues-0.thumb.JPG.024fdef0b4329a7631ad3f84368576d2.JPG

After reboot I'm still locked into ESSP with the trial version. Solution was to uninstall ESSP v.11 and reinstall EIS v.11 again.

Problem solved!

Cheers ;)

• Administrators
On 12/8/2017 at 5:56 AM, m4v3r1ck said:

Could you please provide us with step-by-step instructions how to reproduce this scenario? We don't provide / display any pop-up offer with an upgrade to ESET Smart Security Pro for a 30-day trial period. At least we'd need to see a screen shot of that offer for clarification.

• ESET Insiders
10 hours ago, Marcos said:

Could you please provide us with step-by-step instructions how to reproduce this scenario? We don't provide / display any pop-up offer with an upgrade to ESET Smart Security Pro for a 30-day trial period. At least we'd need to see a screen shot of that offer for clarification.

Hi @Marcos & @Peter Randziak,

With all due respect - of which I have a lot for you both - I've escalated this 'Freemium Upgrade' issue from my supplier (from which I purchased my 5 seater) who I talked to by phone today, to ESET Nederland.

eset-eset-nederland-joost-snagged.thumb.jpg.5bfdef58c1b3b2acccd833e3d513bfb8.jpg

Source: ESET NEDERLAND - investigating Freemium Pop-up EIS v.11 UK version on Windows 7 Pro (NL) 32bit LT.

I made a big mistake to NOT make a screencap of the Freemium pop-up, but have high confidense that ESET Nederland will be able to clear things up in this matter!

Cheers ;)

Edited by m4v3r1ck
typo & added screencap

• ESET Moderators

Hello @m4v3r1ck ,

good, thank you. Please let us know how it went. 

We (ESET Slovakia) do not have such offer so it was a bit strange for us, but your ESET (Netherlands) should be able to clear this for sure.

Regards, P.R.

• ESET Insiders

Hi @Marcos & @Peter Randziak

@-tags not working in IE v.11 / Win7Pro 32-bit?

eset-iev11.png.27df8174ac27cb6e0d6c78029be1f3f3.png

Just an update to let you both know, that my ESET Internet Security v.11 is working much better now-a-days.

eset-is-works-fine-now.thumb.png.942786e6ec7c0a1f2aa851f8a915b3a2.png

I haven't received any feedback form ESET Netherlands yet, but still confident.

Lechaim! ;)

Edited by m4v3r1ck
corrected mentions

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

We do not offer a 30-day trial version of ESET Smart Security Premium for paying users with ESET Internet Security. Moreover, I was unable to find any paid license registered to your email address b**********er@i*****.com; found only trial licenses registered to you. If you have actually purchased a full version of ESET, you've likely registered it to another email address. If so, please provide me with information that would help me look up your paid license.