Email Protocol Protection Prevents IMAP Synchronization

ino1thing

Hopefully this qualifies as a new topic as I was unable to find a similar thread in these forums.

I have Windows 10 Version 1703, OS Build 15063.674, eset NOD32 Antivirus Version 10.1.235.0 and DB Version 16405.

Beginning on or around 10/17/2017 my Outlook 2013 email client ceased IMAP synchronization with my email server (comcast.net). Over the last two weekends I've scoured internet forums for issues related to IMAP, Outlook, and Comcast ISP. Although there are plenty of similar reports out there, none of the proposed solutions worked for me. Eventually I uninstalled Outpook 2013 and installed Outlook 2016 with no change in behavior. I also created a second profile with my gmail server and this new profile experienced the same issue.

Finally, it occurred to me that the antivirus software may be interfering, so I disabled the email protocol protection in eset and that permitted all of the back-logged email traffic to download to the Outlook client.

So my questions become: Is this a known issue with the product versions listed above, and is there a set of email client protection settings in eset that will permit normal IMAP synchronization while still providing satisfactory protection?

Thanks.

• Administrators

First try enabling pre-release updates in the advanced setup and check if the problem still occurs. If so, enable advanced protocol filtering logging in the advanced setup -> tools-> diagnostics and reproduce the problem. Next disable logging, collect logs with ELC and drop me a pm with the generated zip archive attached.

• Most Valued Members

@ino1thing i have the same setup with outlook 2016 and don't have any issues(not using comcast though). Have you checked with comcast to see if they have changed the incoming/outgoing port numbers.

This might be worth a try if you have not tried it yet

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/configure-outlook-2013-email/

On 11/14/2017 at 1:07 AM, cyberhash said:

@ino1thing i have the same setup with outlook 2016 and don't have any issues(not using comcast though). Have you checked with comcast to see if they have changed the incoming/outgoing port numbers.

This might be worth a try if you have not tried it yet

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/configure-outlook-2013-email/

Thanks for the feedback cyberhash. I had verified and re-verified all of the mail client settings both with comcast and with microsoft prior to posting my problem at this forum. I'm certain they are correct because all that's required to get email downloaded to the client is disable the  the eset email client protocol filtering. Once that's done mail from comcast and gmail flood in.

I have provided the logs that Marcos requested, so we'll see if anything is discovered there.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tacostuff said:

should add that this started around late Nov/early Dec 2017. 

If this is happening on Win 10 ver. 1709, it introduced a number of issues in regards to Outlook; many of them in regards to existing add-ins/plug-ins. Eset is injecting a .dll into Outlook. I would start there since Microsoft has "clamped down" on third party .dll injection into its own app processes in ver. 1709. 

Yes, this is happening with Windows 10 Pro v1709.   Is there a way to add an exception to ESET, or otherwise disable it with respect to Outlook?   It's a bit of a pain to have to pause ESET every time I want to check my e-mail! 

1 hour ago, tacostuff said:

Is there a way to add an exception to ESET, or otherwise disable it with respect to Outlook?

Try this first.

Open Eset GUI. Then open Network Protection -> E-mail Client Protection. Then uncheck "Integrate into Microsoft Outlook." Save your changes. Then test to verify the problem has been resolved.

Edited by itman

• 4 weeks later...

I started having freezing of Outlook 2016 on send/receive shortly after there was a significant update to ESET NOD32 in late December. The only solution I found to the problem was to completely uninstall ESET NOD32 and reinstall Office 2016. To confirm ESET NOD32 was the issue, I subsequently installed the latest version of NOD32 with updates to the latest modules, and the freezing issue returned. Disabling Outlook integration and then email integration did not resolve the freezing. I again had to completely uninstall NOD32 and reinstall Office 2016 to get Outlook to be able to send/receive normally.

I PM'ed Marcos over the weekend with a log file I captured prior to uninstalling NOD32 the second time with the latest beta modules installed while Outlook was frozen doing a send/receive.